Re: [S-R] Re: Bresztovics

  • Robert Shive
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 25, 2004
      Elizabeth was Roman Catholic. There is a 1879 record
      in the Also Mislye parish of John Bresztovics being
      confirmed at age 60. Speculating, this may have been
      to please/placate the wife who died in 1895 at age 67
      and is now buried in Kosice. If this is true, John is
      probably buried in Felso or Also Mislye, and the
      people in the plot in Kosice are most likely his
      children and grandchildren. As you suggest, it
      certainly sounds like a good idea to get the
      appropriate church record tapes for Felso Mislye and
      nail this down better.

      How can one get obituaries from this time period for
      Kosice? Are they worth trying to get and what
      information would they likely contiain?

      --- Frank <frankur@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > the following names
      > as
      > > part of a transciption of the graves in Kosice
      > public cemetery:
      > >
      > > Brestovič �tefan;19.2.1928;y;73 ;XV;24;17
      > > Brestovičova Anna;15.11.1934;y;76
      > ;V/e;2;62
      > > Bresztovics Anna;8.3.1904;y;20 ;VIII;31;61
      > > Bresztovics Etel;6.7.1903;y;21 ;VIII;31;36
      > > Bresztovics Gyula;18.8.1910;y;18 ;XI;4;51
      > > Bresztovics J�nosn� �zv.;17.11.1895;y;67
      > ;VI;3;81
      > > Bresztovits Paula;3.1.1891;y;1 1/2;I;12;44
      > > Bresztovits Stef�nia;3.8.1901;y;5 ;VII;3;131
      > >
      > > I realize that there is no guarantee that any of
      > these people were
      > > related to her. But I am interested in which of
      > this list might be
      > > considered to be the same surname. The dates
      > immediately after the
      > > names are the dates of death, and the last set of
      > characters is the
      > > tomb location.
      >
      > Yes.
      > Bresztovics is a Hungarian style spelling.
      > Hungarians had a surname ending -ics which was not
      > native to
      > Hungarian but a phonetic adaptation i.e. written
      > -ics pron. ick.
      > The Hungarian letter "sz" is pron. "s".
      >
      > The surname could be spelled Brestovic^ using the
      > Slovak diacritic
      > letter c^ = ch as well
      > The surname affix -ov� indicated female gender and
      > was not a separate
      > family name, hence Brestovic^ov�.
      > Brestovic^ (male gender)
      >
      > In Hungarian and Slavic languages the plain letter
      > "c" is pron. "ts".
      >
      > Given names
      >
      > Stephen (E) Istv�n (H) Stefan (Sk)
      > Ethel (E) Etel (H)
      > Gyula (H) Julius (E) (Sk)
      >
      > Pauline (E) Paula (H)
      > Stephania (E) Stefania (Sk)
      >
      > �. or �zv. Hungarian abbrev. for widow and n� =
      > wife of
      > Bresztovics J�nosn� �zv.
      > Mrs. John Bresztovics, widow
      >
      > Felso"-Misle (H) Wissna Missla (G) is now called
      > Vys^n� Mys^l� (Sk)
      > The Slovakia telephone directory lists 17 surnames
      > Brestovic^ and
      > Brestovic^ov� under Kos^ice and area.
      > Mainly listed under Koks^ov Baks^a which is located
      > near Kos^ice on
      > this side of Horn�d potok while your Vys^n� Mys^l�
      > above is located
      > just east across the Ols^ava potok.
      >
      > By all means get the LDS-Mormon parish church
      > records for Vys^n�
      > Mys^l�.
      > What was your gg-grandmother's religion ?
      >
      > Some abbreviations used for various denominations :
      > Hungarian English
      > rk.-RK. r�mai katholikus Roman Catholic
      > gk. GK. g�r�g katholikus Greek
      > Catholic/Byzantine
      > kg. KG. keleti g�r�g Greek Oriental
      > (Eastern Orthodox)
      > ag. AG. �gostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
      > ref. REF. reform�tus Reformed (Calvinist)

      The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 26, 2004
        wrote:
        > Elizabeth was Roman Catholic. There is a 1879 record
        > in the Also Mislye parish of John Bresztovics being
        > confirmed at age 60. Speculating, this may have been
        > to please/placate the wife who died in 1895 at age 67
        > and is now buried in Kosice. If this is true, John is
        > probably buried in Felso or Also Mislye, and the
        > people in the plot in Kosice are most likely his
        > children and grandchildren. As you suggest, it
        > certainly sounds like a good idea to get the
        > appropriate church record tapes for Felso Mislye and
        > nail this down better.
        >
        > How can one get obituaries from this time period for
        > Kosice? Are they worth trying to get and what
        > information would they likely contiain?

        http://www.kosice.sk/history/verejny/

        Hungarian English Slovak grammatical form
        kis little malá/malé/maly'
        nagy large vel'ká/vel'ké/vel'ky'
        felso" upper horná/horné/horny'
        alsó lower dolná/dolné/dolny'
        felso" upper vys^ná/vys^né/vys^ny'
        alsó lower niz^ná/niz^né/niz^ny'

        For Vys^ná Mys^l'á (Catholic) see Niz^ná Mys^l'á

        St.Miklos RC Church in Niz^ná Mys^l'á
        parish birth registers

        Frank K