Re: Bresztovics

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 25, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "robert_shive"
      <robert_shive@y...> wrote:

      > My gg-grandmother was Elizabeth Bresztovics (think surname is
      spelled
      > Hungarian style). As nearly as I can tell, she was born about 1848
      in
      > Felso Mislye near Kosice. Recently I uncovered the following names
      as
      > part of a transciption of the graves in Kosice public cemetery:
      >
      > Brestovič Štefan;19.2.1928;y;73 ;XV;24;17
      > Brestovičova Anna;15.11.1934;y;76 ;V/e;2;62
      > Bresztovics Anna;8.3.1904;y;20 ;VIII;31;61
      > Bresztovics Etel;6.7.1903;y;21 ;VIII;31;36
      > Bresztovics Gyula;18.8.1910;y;18 ;XI;4;51
      > Bresztovics Jánosné özv.;17.11.1895;y;67 ;VI;3;81
      > Bresztovits Paula;3.1.1891;y;1 1/2;I;12;44
      > Bresztovits Stefánia;3.8.1901;y;5 ;VII;3;131
      >
      > I realize that there is no guarantee that any of these people were
      > related to her. But I am interested in which of this list might be
      > considered to be the same surname. The dates immediately after the
      > names are the dates of death, and the last set of characters is the
      > tomb location.

      Yes.
      Bresztovics is a Hungarian style spelling.
      Hungarians had a surname ending -ics which was not native to
      Hungarian but a phonetic adaptation i.e. written -ics pron. ick.
      The Hungarian letter "sz" is pron. "s".

      The surname could be spelled Brestovic^ using the Slovak diacritic
      letter c^ = ch as well
      The surname affix -ová indicated female gender and was not a separate
      family name, hence Brestovic^ová.
      Brestovic^ (male gender)

      In Hungarian and Slavic languages the plain letter "c" is pron. "ts".

      Given names

      Stephen (E) István (H) Stefan (Sk)
      Ethel (E) Etel (H)
      Gyula (H) Julius (E) (Sk)

      Pauline (E) Paula (H)
      Stephania (E) Stefania (Sk)

      ö. or özv. Hungarian abbrev. for widow and né = wife of
      Bresztovics Jánosné özv.
      Mrs. John Bresztovics, widow

      Felso"-Misle (H) Wissna Missla (G) is now called Vys^ná Mys^lá (Sk)
      The Slovakia telephone directory lists 17 surnames Brestovic^ and
      Brestovic^ová under Kos^ice and area.
      Mainly listed under Koks^ov Baks^a which is located near Kos^ice on
      this side of Hornád potok while your Vys^ná Mys^lá above is located
      just east across the Ols^ava potok.

      By all means get the LDS-Mormon parish church records for Vys^ná
      Mys^lá.
      What was your gg-grandmother's religion ?

      Hungarian English
      rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
      ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
      izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)
    • Robert Shive
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2004
        Elizabeth was Roman Catholic. There is a 1879 record
        in the Also Mislye parish of John Bresztovics being
        confirmed at age 60. Speculating, this may have been
        to please/placate the wife who died in 1895 at age 67
        and is now buried in Kosice. If this is true, John is
        probably buried in Felso or Also Mislye, and the
        people in the plot in Kosice are most likely his
        children and grandchildren. As you suggest, it
        certainly sounds like a good idea to get the
        appropriate church record tapes for Felso Mislye and
        nail this down better.

        How can one get obituaries from this time period for
        Kosice? Are they worth trying to get and what
        information would they likely contiain?

        --- Frank <frankur@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > The Slovakia telephone directory lists 17 surnames
        > Brestovic^ and
        > Brestovic^ov� under Kos^ice and area.
        > Mainly listed under Koks^ov Baks^a which is located
        > near Kos^ice on
        > this side of Horn�d potok while your Vys^n� Mys^l�
        > above is located
        > just east across the Ols^ava potok.
        >
        > By all means get the LDS-Mormon parish church
        > records for Vys^n�
        > Mys^l�.
        > What was your gg-grandmother's religion ?
        >
        > Some abbreviations used for various denominations :
        > Hungarian English
        > rk.-RK. r�mai katholikus Roman Catholic
        > gk. GK. g�r�g katholikus Greek
        > Catholic/Byzantine
        > kg. KG. keleti g�r�g Greek Oriental
        > (Eastern Orthodox)
        > ag. AG. �gostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
        > ref. REF. reform�tus Reformed (Calvinist)

        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2004
          wrote:
          > Elizabeth was Roman Catholic. There is a 1879 record
          > in the Also Mislye parish of John Bresztovics being
          > confirmed at age 60. Speculating, this may have been
          > to please/placate the wife who died in 1895 at age 67
          > and is now buried in Kosice. If this is true, John is
          > probably buried in Felso or Also Mislye, and the
          > people in the plot in Kosice are most likely his
          > children and grandchildren. As you suggest, it
          > certainly sounds like a good idea to get the
          > appropriate church record tapes for Felso Mislye and
          > nail this down better.
          >
          > How can one get obituaries from this time period for
          > Kosice? Are they worth trying to get and what
          > information would they likely contiain?

          http://www.kosice.sk/history/verejny/

          Hungarian English Slovak grammatical form
          kis little malá/malé/maly'
          nagy large vel'ká/vel'ké/vel'ky'
          felso" upper horná/horné/horny'
          alsó lower dolná/dolné/dolny'
          felso" upper vys^ná/vys^né/vys^ny'
          alsó lower niz^ná/niz^né/niz^ny'

          For Vys^ná Mys^l'á (Catholic) see Niz^ná Mys^l'á

          St.Miklos RC Church in Niz^ná Mys^l'á
          parish birth registers

          Frank K