Bresztovics

  • robert_shive
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 25, 2004
      My gg-grandmother was Elizabeth Bresztovics (think surname is spelled
      Hungarian style). As nearly as I can tell, she was born about 1848 in
      Felso Mislye near Kosice. Recently I uncovered the following names as
      part of a transciption of the graves in Kosice public cemetery:

      Brestovič Štefan;19.2.1928;y;73 ;XV;24;17
      Brestovičova Anna;15.11.1934;y;76 ;V/e;2;62
      Bresztovics Anna;8.3.1904;y;20 ;VIII;31;61
      Bresztovics Etel;6.7.1903;y;21 ;VIII;31;36
      Bresztovics Gyula;18.8.1910;y;18 ;XI;4;51
      Bresztovics Jánosné özv.;17.11.1895;y;67 ;VI;3;81
      Bresztovits Paula;3.1.1891;y;1 1/2;I;12;44
      Bresztovits Stefánia;3.8.1901;y;5 ;VII;3;131

      I realize that there is no guarantee that any of these people were
      related to her. But I am interested in which of this list might be
      considered to be the same surname. The dates immediately after the
      names are the dates of death, and the last set of characters is the
      tomb location.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2004
        To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name,
        go to the LDS web site:

        go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
        will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 25, 2004
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "robert_shive"
          <robert_shive@y...> wrote:

          > My gg-grandmother was Elizabeth Bresztovics (think surname is
          spelled
          > Hungarian style). As nearly as I can tell, she was born about 1848
          in
          > Felso Mislye near Kosice. Recently I uncovered the following names
          as
          > part of a transciption of the graves in Kosice public cemetery:
          >
          > Brestovič Štefan;19.2.1928;y;73 ;XV;24;17
          > Brestovičova Anna;15.11.1934;y;76 ;V/e;2;62
          > Bresztovics Anna;8.3.1904;y;20 ;VIII;31;61
          > Bresztovics Etel;6.7.1903;y;21 ;VIII;31;36
          > Bresztovics Gyula;18.8.1910;y;18 ;XI;4;51
          > Bresztovics Jánosné özv.;17.11.1895;y;67 ;VI;3;81
          > Bresztovits Paula;3.1.1891;y;1 1/2;I;12;44
          > Bresztovits Stefánia;3.8.1901;y;5 ;VII;3;131
          >
          > I realize that there is no guarantee that any of these people were
          > related to her. But I am interested in which of this list might be
          > considered to be the same surname. The dates immediately after the
          > names are the dates of death, and the last set of characters is the
          > tomb location.

          Yes.
          Bresztovics is a Hungarian style spelling.
          Hungarians had a surname ending -ics which was not native to
          Hungarian but a phonetic adaptation i.e. written -ics pron. ick.
          The Hungarian letter "sz" is pron. "s".

          The surname could be spelled Brestovic^ using the Slovak diacritic
          letter c^ = ch as well
          The surname affix -ová indicated female gender and was not a separate
          family name, hence Brestovic^ová.
          Brestovic^ (male gender)

          In Hungarian and Slavic languages the plain letter "c" is pron. "ts".

          Given names

          Stephen (E) István (H) Stefan (Sk)
          Ethel (E) Etel (H)
          Gyula (H) Julius (E) (Sk)

          Pauline (E) Paula (H)
          Stephania (E) Stefania (Sk)

          ö. or özv. Hungarian abbrev. for widow and né = wife of
          Bresztovics Jánosné özv.
          Mrs. John Bresztovics, widow

          Felso"-Misle (H) Wissna Missla (G) is now called Vys^ná Mys^lá (Sk)
          The Slovakia telephone directory lists 17 surnames Brestovic^ and
          Brestovic^ová under Kos^ice and area.
          Mainly listed under Koks^ov Baks^a which is located near Kos^ice on
          this side of Hornád potok while your Vys^ná Mys^lá above is located
          just east across the Ols^ava potok.

          By all means get the LDS-Mormon parish church records for Vys^ná
          Mys^lá.
          What was your gg-grandmother's religion ?

          Hungarian English
          rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
          ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
          izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)
        • Robert Shive
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 25, 2004
            Elizabeth was Roman Catholic. There is a 1879 record
            in the Also Mislye parish of John Bresztovics being
            confirmed at age 60. Speculating, this may have been
            to please/placate the wife who died in 1895 at age 67
            and is now buried in Kosice. If this is true, John is
            probably buried in Felso or Also Mislye, and the
            people in the plot in Kosice are most likely his
            children and grandchildren. As you suggest, it
            certainly sounds like a good idea to get the
            appropriate church record tapes for Felso Mislye and
            nail this down better.

            How can one get obituaries from this time period for
            Kosice? Are they worth trying to get and what
            information would they likely contiain?

            --- Frank <frankur@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > The Slovakia telephone directory lists 17 surnames
            > Brestovic^ and
            > Brestovic^ov� under Kos^ice and area.
            > Mainly listed under Koks^ov Baks^a which is located
            > near Kos^ice on
            > this side of Horn�d potok while your Vys^n� Mys^l�
            > above is located
            > just east across the Ols^ava potok.
            >
            > By all means get the LDS-Mormon parish church
            > records for Vys^n�
            > Mys^l�.
            > What was your gg-grandmother's religion ?
            >
            > Some abbreviations used for various denominations :
            > Hungarian English
            > rk.-RK. r�mai katholikus Roman Catholic
            > gk. GK. g�r�g katholikus Greek
            > Catholic/Byzantine
            > kg. KG. keleti g�r�g Greek Oriental
            > (Eastern Orthodox)
            > ag. AG. �gostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
            > ref. REF. reform�tus Reformed (Calvinist)

            The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
            http://my.yahoo.com
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 26, 2004
              wrote:
              > Elizabeth was Roman Catholic. There is a 1879 record
              > in the Also Mislye parish of John Bresztovics being
              > confirmed at age 60. Speculating, this may have been
              > to please/placate the wife who died in 1895 at age 67
              > and is now buried in Kosice. If this is true, John is
              > probably buried in Felso or Also Mislye, and the
              > people in the plot in Kosice are most likely his
              > children and grandchildren. As you suggest, it
              > certainly sounds like a good idea to get the
              > appropriate church record tapes for Felso Mislye and
              > nail this down better.
              >
              > How can one get obituaries from this time period for
              > Kosice? Are they worth trying to get and what
              > information would they likely contiain?

              http://www.kosice.sk/history/verejny/

              Hungarian English Slovak grammatical form
              kis little malá/malé/maly'
              nagy large vel'ká/vel'ké/vel'ky'
              felso" upper horná/horné/horny'
              alsó lower dolná/dolné/dolny'
              felso" upper vys^ná/vys^né/vys^ny'
              alsó lower niz^ná/niz^né/niz^ny'

              For Vys^ná Mys^l'á (Catholic) see Niz^ná Mys^l'á

              St.Miklos RC Church in Niz^ná Mys^l'á
              parish birth registers

              Frank K