[S-R] Re: a town

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 25, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jeanann Jameson
      <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
      > hi noreen sorry this took so long to answer you but my
      > computer has been broke. i have no clues about the
      > villages my grandparents lived in other than they
      > talked about lacarak and mitchovich i'm thinking they
      > lived at one time in both villages. their parents were
      > farmers and there farms were right next to each other.
      > here in the u.s. when friends or relatives would come
      > over the adults would speek slovak so the kids
      > couldn't understand what they were speaking about but
      > normally they spoke german. my grandfather spoke seven
      > languages and my grandmother spoke 4. being on a farm
      > i have no idea why. well thanks for your help and have
      > a nice holiday. jean

      jean wrote

      > I have no clues about the villages my grandparents lived other than
      > they talked about Lacark and Mitchovich

      > the adults would speak Slovak so the kids couldn't understand what
      > they were speaking about but normally they spoke German.

      > my grandfather spoke seven languages and my grandmother spoke 4

      > my grandfather was Andres Rak. I have been told they are from
      > Austria, Czech, Poland, Yugoslavia at this point don't know
      > some of towns my mother has mentioned are lacark, mikitovich,
      > macvenska, and hesse

      > My older brother says my grandfather Andras Rak is from Lacarak,
      > Hungary and my grandmother is from Mitrovica Austria and they were
      > only a few miles apart

      > my great grandmother was Froni (Veronica) Stranc married Stefan
      > Yellenburger
      > no dates or information on either of them
      > her children were names Annie and Magdalena. Magdalena is my
      > grandmother who was born in 1884.
      > My grandmother has mentioned before she died the Danube River,
      > Sabe River, Lakarak, and a town that had two names in it something
      > like Mitovicha-Manscha

      Over 51 million people lived in the former Austro-Hungarian Empire.
      The two largest ethnic groups were Germans (10 million) and Hungarians
      (9 million). There were also Poles, Croats, Bosnians,
      Serbians,Italians,
      Czechs, Ruthenes, Slovenes, Slovaks and Romanians.
      Overall, fifteen different languages were spoken in the former
      Austro-Hungarian Empire.

      Lacarak is located 47 miles NNW of Belgrade (Beograd) Serbia and
      Sremska Mitrovica is an adjacent village.
      Macvanska Mitrovica is located 45 miles NNW of Belgrade.
      The Sava River is located close by.

      Hesse is a region (province) located in SW Germany.
      During WW II American troops "liberated" Hesse from the Germans.

      Many if not all Donauschwaben (Danube Germans) had barged down
      the Donau (Danube) River during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
      These migrants often set out from the cities of Ulm or Günzburg,
      Schwaben (Swabia), Germany, along the Danube River or on it via
      the famous "Ulmer Schachtel" (Ulm Crates or barges), hence the name,
      Donauschwaben.
      Some migrated from modern Baden-Württemberg, Alsace, and Lorraine.
      Others hailed from Austria and other places in the Austro-Hungarian
      Empire. Hence germane (pertinent to the former AHE)

      According to the Treaty of Trianon (June 4, 1920), Hungary lost
      two-thirds of its former territory to Czechoslovakia (Slovakia,
      Carpathian Rus'), Romania (Transylvania, * Banat), Yugoslavia
      (Croatia, Slavonia, Syrmia, Bac^ka, western Banat), and Austria
      (Burgenland)
      Germans (Donauschwaben) lived in the Area of Syrmien County the
      Batschka and the Banat. (Also Hungary)
      Szerém (H) Syrmia (E) Syrmien (G) Srem (Cr)

      The six republics that formed the former Yugoslavia were :
      Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia,
      and Serbia.

      In 1945 the Communist Yugoslavs had expelled all the Donauschwaben
      from the country.
      Following the breakup of the former Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in
      1991, Slovenija became a separate republic as did Croatia
      (Croatia-Slavonia)
      A war was fought in former Yugoslavia in 1990s between Croatian and
      Serbian forces.
      NATO and US forces had bombed Serbia.
      Croatia , Bosnia, and Slovenia gained their independence.
      All that remains of Yugoslavia today is Serbia and its tiny partner
      Montenegro (Crna Gora)

      According to online EIR.
      In 1908 an Andreas Rak, age 28 (b. about 1880), married, German, born
      in Lacsarak (a Hungarian spelling), had emigrated to his brother's
      Peter Rak address in Detroit MI.
      András (H) Andrej (Sk) Andrew (E) Andreas (G)(L)
      Andrew had been in Detroit before and was a Non-Immigrant Alien (i.e.,
      he hadn't settled permanently in the USA)
      His closest next of kin was his mother Katharina Rak (assume she was
      back in Lacarak, then still in Hungary)
      So his wife may have resided either in Detroit or in Lacarak ?

      Frank Kurcina
    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
        Hi Jean,
        according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak, exact spelling, is in Serbia.
        have you found Mitchovich ?
        Noreen

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
          Look at "according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak is in Serbia." and you
          will see "Mitchovich" next door.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:
          > Hi Jean,
          > according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak, exact spelling, is in Serbia.
          > have you found Mitchovich ?
          > Noreen
        • Jeanann Jameson
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
            thanks for your help. happy new year jean
            --- johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

            > Look at "according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak is in
            > Serbia." and you
            > will see "Mitchovich" next door.
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a...
            > wrote:
            > > Hi Jean,
            > > according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak, exact
            > spelling, is in Serbia.
            > > have you found Mitchovich ?
            > > Noreen

            http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
          • Jeanann Jameson
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
              hi and happy new year. i believe they are close to
              each other but someone said there was a mountain
              between the two towns. i found out my grandparents
              lived in both towns. i still can't figure out how to
              spell my grandmothers last name. i have tried many
              variations for ellis island but can't find anything.
              still looking. jean

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250