Re: [S-R] Re: a town

  • Jeanann Jameson
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 24, 2004
      hi noreen sorry this took so long to answer you but my
      computer has been broke. i have no clues about the
      villages my grandparents lived in other than they
      talked about lacarak and mitchovich i'm thinking they
      lived at one time in both villages. their parents were
      farmers and there farms were right next to each other.
      here in the u.s. when friends or relatives would come
      over the adults would speek slovak so the kids
      couldn't understand what they were speaking about but
      normally they spoke german. my grandfather spoke seven
      languages and my grandmother spoke 4. being on a farm
      i have no idea why. well thanks for your help and have
      a nice holiday. jean
      --- nhasior@... wrote:

      > Hi Jean,
      > my grandmother also spoke German, Polish, Slovak and
      > Polish. She came from
      > what was then the Austrio-Hungarian Empire. Today,
      > her particular village was
      > in the Eastern part of Slovakia near the town of
      > Poprad. it is a spa and
      > mineral water healing area of Slovakia and the
      > reason that so many languages were
      > learned is that many of the townspeople worked at
      > the spas. many people of
      > foreign countries such as Germany, would come and
      > stay for spa treatments for
      > ailments.
      > what else do you know about the place? Belgrade is
      > very far away, but maybe
      > this will help give you another clue as to why all
      > the languages.
      > Noreen

      > removed]

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 24, 2004
        Lacarak is 47.1 miles WNW of Belgrade and Sremska Mitrovica is the
        adjacent village.

        ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 25, 2004
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jeanann Jameson
          <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
          > hi noreen sorry this took so long to answer you but my
          > computer has been broke. i have no clues about the
          > villages my grandparents lived in other than they
          > talked about lacarak and mitchovich i'm thinking they
          > lived at one time in both villages. their parents were
          > farmers and there farms were right next to each other.
          > here in the u.s. when friends or relatives would come
          > over the adults would speek slovak so the kids
          > couldn't understand what they were speaking about but
          > normally they spoke german. my grandfather spoke seven
          > languages and my grandmother spoke 4. being on a farm
          > i have no idea why. well thanks for your help and have
          > a nice holiday. jean

          jean wrote

          > I have no clues about the villages my grandparents lived other than
          > they talked about Lacark and Mitchovich

          > the adults would speak Slovak so the kids couldn't understand what
          > they were speaking about but normally they spoke German.

          > my grandfather spoke seven languages and my grandmother spoke 4

          > my grandfather was Andres Rak. I have been told they are from
          > Austria, Czech, Poland, Yugoslavia at this point don't know
          > some of towns my mother has mentioned are lacark, mikitovich,
          > macvenska, and hesse

          > My older brother says my grandfather Andras Rak is from Lacarak,
          > Hungary and my grandmother is from Mitrovica Austria and they were
          > only a few miles apart

          > my great grandmother was Froni (Veronica) Stranc married Stefan
          > Yellenburger
          > no dates or information on either of them
          > her children were names Annie and Magdalena. Magdalena is my
          > grandmother who was born in 1884.
          > My grandmother has mentioned before she died the Danube River,
          > Sabe River, Lakarak, and a town that had two names in it something
          > like Mitovicha-Manscha

          Over 51 million people lived in the former Austro-Hungarian Empire.
          The two largest ethnic groups were Germans (10 million) and Hungarians
          (9 million). There were also Poles, Croats, Bosnians,
          Serbians,Italians,
          Czechs, Ruthenes, Slovenes, Slovaks and Romanians.
          Overall, fifteen different languages were spoken in the former
          Austro-Hungarian Empire.

          Lacarak is located 47 miles NNW of Belgrade (Beograd) Serbia and
          Sremska Mitrovica is an adjacent village.
          Macvanska Mitrovica is located 45 miles NNW of Belgrade.
          The Sava River is located close by.

          Hesse is a region (province) located in SW Germany.
          During WW II American troops "liberated" Hesse from the Germans.

          Many if not all Donauschwaben (Danube Germans) had barged down
          the Donau (Danube) River during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
          These migrants often set out from the cities of Ulm or Günzburg,
          Schwaben (Swabia), Germany, along the Danube River or on it via
          the famous "Ulmer Schachtel" (Ulm Crates or barges), hence the name,
          Donauschwaben.
          Some migrated from modern Baden-Württemberg, Alsace, and Lorraine.
          Others hailed from Austria and other places in the Austro-Hungarian
          Empire. Hence germane (pertinent to the former AHE)

          According to the Treaty of Trianon (June 4, 1920), Hungary lost
          two-thirds of its former territory to Czechoslovakia (Slovakia,
          Carpathian Rus'), Romania (Transylvania, * Banat), Yugoslavia
          (Croatia, Slavonia, Syrmia, Bac^ka, western Banat), and Austria
          (Burgenland)
          Germans (Donauschwaben) lived in the Area of Syrmien County the
          Batschka and the Banat. (Also Hungary)
          Szerém (H) Syrmia (E) Syrmien (G) Srem (Cr)

          The six republics that formed the former Yugoslavia were :
          Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia,
          and Serbia.

          In 1945 the Communist Yugoslavs had expelled all the Donauschwaben
          from the country.
          Following the breakup of the former Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in
          1991, Slovenija became a separate republic as did Croatia
          (Croatia-Slavonia)
          A war was fought in former Yugoslavia in 1990s between Croatian and
          Serbian forces.
          NATO and US forces had bombed Serbia.
          Croatia , Bosnia, and Slovenia gained their independence.
          All that remains of Yugoslavia today is Serbia and its tiny partner
          Montenegro (Crna Gora)

          According to online EIR.
          In 1908 an Andreas Rak, age 28 (b. about 1880), married, German, born
          in Lacsarak (a Hungarian spelling), had emigrated to his brother's
          Peter Rak address in Detroit MI.
          András (H) Andrej (Sk) Andrew (E) Andreas (G)(L)
          Andrew had been in Detroit before and was a Non-Immigrant Alien (i.e.,
          he hadn't settled permanently in the USA)
          His closest next of kin was his mother Katharina Rak (assume she was
          back in Lacarak, then still in Hungary)
          So his wife may have resided either in Detroit or in Lacarak ?

          Frank Kurcina
        • nhasior@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
            Hi Jean,
            according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak, exact spelling, is in Serbia.
            have you found Mitchovich ?
            Noreen

          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
              Look at "according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak is in Serbia." and you
              will see "Mitchovich" next door.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:
              > Hi Jean,
              > according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak, exact spelling, is in Serbia.
              > have you found Mitchovich ?
              > Noreen
            • Jeanann Jameson
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                thanks for your help. happy new year jean
                --- johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                > Look at "according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak is in
                > Serbia." and you
                > will see "Mitchovich" next door.
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a...
                > wrote:
                > > Hi Jean,
                > > according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak, exact
                > spelling, is in Serbia.
                > > have you found Mitchovich ?
                > > Noreen

                http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
              • Jeanann Jameson
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                  hi and happy new year. i believe they are close to
                  each other but someone said there was a mountain
                  between the two towns. i found out my grandparents
                  lived in both towns. i still can't figure out how to
                  spell my grandmothers last name. i have tried many
                  variations for ellis island but can't find anything.
                  still looking. jean

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250