Re: Elizabeth Halabrin/John Prepelica

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxthemoose" <maxthemoose@w...>
      wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I am new to the list. I am researching my husbands relatives.
      He has died, so only have what information I have been able to dig up.
      > Elisabeth came over May 17, 1905. I found her at Ellis Island
      site According to their records, she was 31 years old, so that would
      put her birth date around 1874. Elisabeth place of resident was
      Szobotist and her ethnicity was Hungary and Slovanian. She was single
      and she was going to Chicago Ill.
      > While in Chicago she met and married John Prepelica. When or
      where I don't know. They had three children. William, Ann, and Emil.
      William was my father-in-law. John committed suicide in 1920 or 21
      in Chicago. He was then in the USA for 21 years. I have not been
      able to find out where or when he came to the states. I think he came
      from Czechoslovakia. Elisabeth died in 1962. I have her obit. One
      in English and the other in Slovak, which I cannot read and I think
      it has a lot more information in it. If I understand a littel of it,
      it says that she has a sestra (sister?) Anna Havlik in Arkansan and a
      bratr (brother?) Pavel Halabrin in Ceskoslovensku.
      > Any help of where I can go to get more information I would
      greatly appreciate it. She is in the 1920 census in Chicago with John
      and children and in the 1930 census with her and the children. Where
      they use to live was torn down for a new expressway many years ago.
      > Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone,
      > Maxine Prepelica

      Hi Maxine

      My first reply to your query must have been lost in the Christmas
      mail.

      In 1905, Elisabeth Halabrin, age 31 (b. about 1874), servant,
      single, had emigrated to address of friend (Jan Podmajerski) at
      7540 Jefferson Street Chicago IL.
      Elizabet/Elisabeth (E) Erszébeth (H) Alzbeta (Sk)
      Last Residence was listed as Szobtist (Sobtis^te)
      Traveling with Elisabeth were three other woman also from Sobtis^te
      who were going to 7540 Jefferson Street Chicago IL.
      Anna Greck ?, age 25, married, servant
      Elisabeth Harasnik, age 19, single, servant
      Zuzanna (Susan) Mica, age 30, married, servant
      All four were Slovaks not Slovians or whatever.
      Today, the surname Mic^a is found under Sobtis^te and the surname
      Harasník is found under Sobtis^te and Senica.

      In 1922 a Pavel Halabrin, age 23 (b. about 1899), single, Slovak,
      farmhand, had emigrated to his brother's (Martin Halabrin) address
      at 20 Rector Street NYC NY.
      Rector Street is located on lower tip of Manhattan near WTC and
      West Street and the Battery.
      Paul (E) Pál (H) Pavol (Sk) Pavel (Cz)
      Pavel was born in Podbranc^, Czechoslovakia.
      The new country called Ceskoslovensko had been created in 1920.
      Pavel's closest next of kin was his father Martin Halabrin back in
      Podbranc^, Nitra, Czechoslovakia.
      Podbranc^ located on Myjava potok(stream) is located 3 miles ENE of
      Stotis^te which is located on the Teplica potok (stream)

      You could write to the surnames Halabrín and Prepelica listed under
      Stotis^te and Podbranc^ and see if they are related ?

      Frank Kurcina
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
        Prepelica and Halbrin families were known to one another in
        Sobotiste. On EI, May 1, 1907, Gustav Halabrin, age 9, from
        Sobotiste, is coming to Chicago with his Uncle Martin Prepelica to
        visit Martin's brother J. Prepelica. Martin Prepelica's home town
        appears to be written as Stenidz. Young Gustav appears to be John's
        son, possibly illegitimate?

        The old 1910 Hungarian map of (your) Nyitra Megye = county can be
        found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg

        Look in the yellow area, left side of map. Find Szenicz (= Senica).
        It is the larger town ONE VILLAGE to the south of your Szobotist.

        I will bet that your John Prepelica originated in Senica/Szenicz (not
        Stenidz). The distance is 7 km from Sobotiste!

        CUT and PRINT the relevant (yellow) section of the map. Otherwise,
        you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that
        you will likely find in church and census records.

        Given what EI has shown us, you want to look for Lutheran church
        records for Szobotist and Szenicz. At LDS (per earlier message), you
        need to check fiche set #6000786 which provides a listing of church
        records in the Slovak Archives. The pages referenced will tell you
        the years for which church records are archived. Those records have
        not yet been released by LDS, as mentioned earlier.

        NOT DONE YET!

        The 1869 Hungarian Census is VERY informative in terms of genealogy.
        That information IS AVAILABLE through your local LDS Family History
        Center. The following are the film numbers for Senica and Sobotiste.

        Szobotist (Sobotište) Film 2157515 Item 3
        (cont.) Szobotist (Sobotište) Film 2157516 Item 1
        (cont.) Szobotist (Sobotište) Film 2157517 Item 1

        Szenicz (Senica) Film 2157514 Item 2

        Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. They are likely
        closed until after the New Year. You will need to go there in person
        to order the film(s). In about a month, the film will arrive and you
        can book a film reader and begin your research.

        To see a sample of the Hungarian Census form, Bill Tarkulich has it
        at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm

        Ho, Ho Ho from north of the border and a Merry Christmas to all!!!!
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 24, 2004
          Maxine,

          If you read through the reference links I cited, it will become clearer.

          Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly INS) File May
          include Alien Registration Form, 1st or 2nd papers, naturalization documents
          and yearly reports amongst items. INS Alien Registration Form (if a resident
          alien in the US in the year 1940 only). Most files are quite small, so
          request the entire file. Expect 3-6+ month response time, or longer since
          9-11. I've include information on how to request (petition) for a copy of
          the file.

          Source: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 25, 2004
            Hello Maxine,
            there are probably lots of places to start but one that i can suggest is the
            suicide of John. Chicago is a huge city, but i do know that the police are
            mandated to keep records of any deaths that are not natural forever. they can
            destroy any records after 7 years but murders, suicides and suspicious deaths
            must be kept on archive. the report will maybe shed some more light on him.
            the report may have little more on it other than that he committed suicide, but
            then again, it may shed a little more information that will point you in
            another direction. the death may have been in the newspapers, but more likely
            not.
            another thing is to try to get the church record of the baptism of either
            Emil, Ann or William. This may be your greatest source of information to get
            started. if you can get the church to allow you to see the ledger of the
            baptism, then you will know the village of John Prepelica's birth in Europe. the
            ledger has all the info you will need to get started. if you ask for the
            Baptismal certificate, it will not help you for it contains very little information.
            you need to see the actual two-page ledger in the church's records. it
            willl give address, godparents, parents' place of birth (you will find out more
            about the grandmother, also, in this way. her exact place of birth) and there
            is a box on the end that has miscellaneous information if the priest added any,
            such as future events that were later added to the Baptismal record.,
            confirmation, marriage etc.
            good luck. let us know how you are doing.
            by the way, have you found your own family history? where are your ancestors
            from?
            Noreen

          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 25, 2004
              Maxine,
              did you notice that your grandmother in law's niece, Alzbieta Halabrin,
              traveled to Chicago to visit in 1923?
              Noreen

            • nhasior@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 25, 2004
                Maxine,
                there is a Kvetoslov Halabrin living in Sobotiste, Slovakia and he is in the
                Slovak white pages. have you used the directory in your research yet? here
                is the link
                http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

                you can click on for the English version. you will need to put in the
                surname and the telephone code. for the code, put in a zero and this will allow you
                to view the country.
                Noreen