Re: [S-R] Elizabeth Halabrin/John Prepelica

  • maxthemoose
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
      Bill,
      Thank you for the sites and recommendations. I do have a question. What
      is BCIS Immigration files?
      I also agree that all of us have a life and want to spend it with
      family instead of on line. I was surprised that I received information so
      fast.
      Happy Holidays, Maxine
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxthemoose" <maxthemoose@w...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I am new to the list. I am researching my husbands relatives.
        He has died, so only have what information I have been able to dig up.
        > Elisabeth came over May 17, 1905. I found her at Ellis Island
        site According to their records, she was 31 years old, so that would
        put her birth date around 1874. Elisabeth place of resident was
        Szobotist and her ethnicity was Hungary and Slovanian. She was single
        and she was going to Chicago Ill.
        > While in Chicago she met and married John Prepelica. When or
        where I don't know. They had three children. William, Ann, and Emil.
        William was my father-in-law. John committed suicide in 1920 or 21
        in Chicago. He was then in the USA for 21 years. I have not been
        able to find out where or when he came to the states. I think he came
        from Czechoslovakia. Elisabeth died in 1962. I have her obit. One
        in English and the other in Slovak, which I cannot read and I think
        it has a lot more information in it. If I understand a littel of it,
        it says that she has a sestra (sister?) Anna Havlik in Arkansan and a
        bratr (brother?) Pavel Halabrin in Ceskoslovensku.
        > Any help of where I can go to get more information I would
        greatly appreciate it. She is in the 1920 census in Chicago with John
        and children and in the 1930 census with her and the children. Where
        they use to live was torn down for a new expressway many years ago.
        > Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone,
        > Maxine Prepelica

        Hi Maxine

        My first reply to your query must have been lost in the Christmas
        mail.

        In 1905, Elisabeth Halabrin, age 31 (b. about 1874), servant,
        single, had emigrated to address of friend (Jan Podmajerski) at
        7540 Jefferson Street Chicago IL.
        Elizabet/Elisabeth (E) Erszébeth (H) Alzbeta (Sk)
        Last Residence was listed as Szobtist (Sobtis^te)
        Traveling with Elisabeth were three other woman also from Sobtis^te
        who were going to 7540 Jefferson Street Chicago IL.
        Anna Greck ?, age 25, married, servant
        Elisabeth Harasnik, age 19, single, servant
        Zuzanna (Susan) Mica, age 30, married, servant
        All four were Slovaks not Slovians or whatever.
        Today, the surname Mic^a is found under Sobtis^te and the surname
        Harasník is found under Sobtis^te and Senica.

        In 1922 a Pavel Halabrin, age 23 (b. about 1899), single, Slovak,
        farmhand, had emigrated to his brother's (Martin Halabrin) address
        at 20 Rector Street NYC NY.
        Rector Street is located on lower tip of Manhattan near WTC and
        West Street and the Battery.
        Paul (E) Pál (H) Pavol (Sk) Pavel (Cz)
        Pavel was born in Podbranc^, Czechoslovakia.
        The new country called Ceskoslovensko had been created in 1920.
        Pavel's closest next of kin was his father Martin Halabrin back in
        Podbranc^, Nitra, Czechoslovakia.
        Podbranc^ located on Myjava potok(stream) is located 3 miles ENE of
        Stotis^te which is located on the Teplica potok (stream)

        You could write to the surnames Halabrín and Prepelica listed under
        Stotis^te and Podbranc^ and see if they are related ?

        Frank Kurcina
      • maxthemoose
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
          Vladi,

          Thank you for wanting to do some research. Please wait until after the
          holidays. In the meantime I will doing some looking at the sites that Bill
          suggested.
          Happy Holidays, Maxine
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
            Prepelica and Halbrin families were known to one another in
            Sobotiste. On EI, May 1, 1907, Gustav Halabrin, age 9, from
            Sobotiste, is coming to Chicago with his Uncle Martin Prepelica to
            visit Martin's brother J. Prepelica. Martin Prepelica's home town
            appears to be written as Stenidz. Young Gustav appears to be John's
            son, possibly illegitimate?

            The old 1910 Hungarian map of (your) Nyitra Megye = county can be
            found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg

            Look in the yellow area, left side of map. Find Szenicz (= Senica).
            It is the larger town ONE VILLAGE to the south of your Szobotist.

            I will bet that your John Prepelica originated in Senica/Szenicz (not
            Stenidz). The distance is 7 km from Sobotiste!

            CUT and PRINT the relevant (yellow) section of the map. Otherwise,
            you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that
            you will likely find in church and census records.

            Given what EI has shown us, you want to look for Lutheran church
            records for Szobotist and Szenicz. At LDS (per earlier message), you
            need to check fiche set #6000786 which provides a listing of church
            records in the Slovak Archives. The pages referenced will tell you
            the years for which church records are archived. Those records have
            not yet been released by LDS, as mentioned earlier.

            NOT DONE YET!

            The 1869 Hungarian Census is VERY informative in terms of genealogy.
            That information IS AVAILABLE through your local LDS Family History
            Center. The following are the film numbers for Senica and Sobotiste.

            Szobotist (Sobotište) Film 2157515 Item 3
            (cont.) Szobotist (Sobotište) Film 2157516 Item 1
            (cont.) Szobotist (Sobotište) Film 2157517 Item 1

            Szenicz (Senica) Film 2157514 Item 2

            Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. They are likely
            closed until after the New Year. You will need to go there in person
            to order the film(s). In about a month, the film will arrive and you
            can book a film reader and begin your research.

            To see a sample of the Hungarian Census form, Bill Tarkulich has it
            at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm

            Ho, Ho Ho from north of the border and a Merry Christmas to all!!!!
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 24, 2004
              Maxine,

              If you read through the reference links I cited, it will become clearer.

              Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly INS) File May
              include Alien Registration Form, 1st or 2nd papers, naturalization documents
              and yearly reports amongst items. INS Alien Registration Form (if a resident
              alien in the US in the year 1940 only). Most files are quite small, so
              request the entire file. Expect 3-6+ month response time, or longer since
              9-11. I've include information on how to request (petition) for a copy of
              the file.

              Source: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              Thank you for the sites and recommendations. I do have a question. What

              is BCIS Immigration files?
              I also agree that all of us have a life and want to spend it with
              family instead of on line. I was surprised that I received information so
              fast.
              Happy Holidays, Maxine

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • nhasior@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 25, 2004
                Hello Maxine,
                there are probably lots of places to start but one that i can suggest is the
                suicide of John. Chicago is a huge city, but i do know that the police are
                mandated to keep records of any deaths that are not natural forever. they can
                destroy any records after 7 years but murders, suicides and suspicious deaths
                must be kept on archive. the report will maybe shed some more light on him.
                the report may have little more on it other than that he committed suicide, but
                then again, it may shed a little more information that will point you in
                another direction. the death may have been in the newspapers, but more likely
                not.
                another thing is to try to get the church record of the baptism of either
                Emil, Ann or William. This may be your greatest source of information to get
                started. if you can get the church to allow you to see the ledger of the
                baptism, then you will know the village of John Prepelica's birth in Europe. the
                ledger has all the info you will need to get started. if you ask for the
                Baptismal certificate, it will not help you for it contains very little information.
                you need to see the actual two-page ledger in the church's records. it
                willl give address, godparents, parents' place of birth (you will find out more
                about the grandmother, also, in this way. her exact place of birth) and there
                is a box on the end that has miscellaneous information if the priest added any,
                such as future events that were later added to the Baptismal record.,
                confirmation, marriage etc.
                good luck. let us know how you are doing.
                by the way, have you found your own family history? where are your ancestors
                from?
                Noreen

              • nhasior@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 25, 2004
                  Maxine,
                  did you notice that your grandmother in law's niece, Alzbieta Halabrin,
                  traveled to Chicago to visit in 1923?
                  Noreen

                • nhasior@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 25, 2004
                    Maxine,
                    there is a Kvetoslov Halabrin living in Sobotiste, Slovakia and he is in the
                    Slovak white pages. have you used the directory in your research yet? here
                    is the link
                    http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

                    you can click on for the English version. you will need to put in the
                    surname and the telephone code. for the code, put in a zero and this will allow you
                    to view the country.
                    Noreen