Elizabeth Halabrin/John Prepelica

  • maxthemoose
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
      Hi,

      I am new to the list. I am researching my husbands relatives. He has died, so only have what information I have been able to dig up.
      Elisabeth came over May 17, 1905. I found her at Ellis Island site According to their records, she was 31 years old, so that would put her birth date around 1874. Elisabeth place of resident was Szobotist and her ethnicity was Hungary and Slovanian. She was single and she was going to Chicago Ill.
      While in Chicago she met and married John Prepelica. When or where I don't know. They had three children. William, Ann, and Emil. William was my father-in-law. John committed suicide in 1920 or 21 in Chicago. He was then in the USA for 21 years. I have not been able to find out where or when he came to the states. I think he came from Czechoslovakia. Elisabeth died in 1962. I have her obit. One in English and the other in Slovak, which I cannot read and I think it has a lot more information in it. If I understand a littel of it, it says that she has a sestra (sister?) Anna Havlik in Arkansan and a bratr (brother?) Pavel Halabrin in Ceskoslovensku.
      Any help of where I can go to get more information I would greatly appreciate it. She is in the 1920 census in Chicago with John and children and in the 1930 census with her and the children. Where they use to live was torn down for a new expressway many years ago.
      Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone,
      Maxine Prepelica

    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
        NO problem I can do the research fro you.

        Vladi

        At 08:35 AM 12/23/2004, you wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        > I am new to the list. I am researching my husbands relatives. He has
        > died, so only have what information I have been able to dig up.
        > Elisabeth came over May 17, 1905. I found her at Ellis Island site
        > According to their records, she was 31 years old, so that would put her
        > birth date around 1874. Elisabeth place of resident was Szobotist and
        > her ethnicity was Hungary and Slovanian. She was single and she was
        > going to Chicago Ill.
        > While in Chicago she met and married John Prepelica. When or where I
        > don't know. They had three children. William, Ann, and Emil. William
        > was my father-in-law. John committed suicide in 1920 or 21 in
        > Chicago. He was then in the USA for 21 years. I have not been able to
        > find out where or when he came to the states. I think he came from
        > Czechoslovakia. Elisabeth died in 1962. I have her obit. One in
        > English and the other in Slovak, which I cannot read and I think it has
        > a lot more information in it. If I understand a littel of it, it says
        > that she has a sestra (sister?) Anna Havlik in Arkansan and a bratr
        > (brother?) Pavel Halabrin in Ceskoslovensku.
        > Any help of where I can go to get more information I would greatly
        > appreciate it. She is in the 1920 census in Chicago with John and
        > children and in the 1930 census with her and the children. Where they
        > use to live was torn down for a new expressway many years ago.
        >Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone,
        >Maxine Prepelica

        >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
        ><http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129i209ti/M=324658.5816620.6854924.3001176/D=groups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1103906136/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i8ndeuo/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1103819736761370>
        >[]
        >
        ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129i209ti/M=324658.5816620.6854924.3001176/D=groups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1103906136/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i8ndeuo/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1103819736761370>
        >
        >Get unlimited calls to
        >
        >U.S./Canada

        > *
        > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > *

        Vladimir Linder

        I do Genealogical research, Ancestral Village Videos and Ancestral Village
        Photography in Slovakia.

        More information on:
        Genealogical research:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_research.htm
        Ancestral Village Videos:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
        Ancestral Village Photography:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.htm
        History of any village or town in Slovakia:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

        Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$35.00 per page

        To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
        My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-907-297-508

        Email: vlinder49@...

        Contact me for more details

        Vladimir Linder
        3804 Yale Street
        Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
        Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
          Hi Maxine,
          Welcome aboard!

          You will hear time and time again that the essential key to sucess is to identify their villages of origin.

          Suprisingly, there are public sources which for many people in the US ease this identification process.

          Many are free or small-fee sources of information: Ellis Island records, Social Security, BCIS Immigration files
          For a more extensive list and a proposed research approach, I have written much more here : http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm and here: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

          My recommendation is that if you have some time to invest, start with these resources. There are many people on these lists who have been through the sources before and can provide you step by step advice as you move through the journey.

          Don't worry that you don't have much info to start with. Most people here were faced with the exact same challenges as you.

          If you have the time, do as much as you can yourself. If don't have much time and are willing to part with your cash, go for it. I prefer to save my loot for the times when I hit absolute brick walls and there is no alternative, I will pay the fee. Even then, shop around. It's a competitive market.

          The US Census isn't usually much help in building a tree or tracing back. Have you looked at the ellis Island manifests? They are all online www.ellisisland.org, or better yet, http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/

          Read the above links and let's discuss more. Tell us your priorities. What do you want to accomplish?
          Good Luck & Merry Christmas!
          Bill Tarkulich

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
            p.s., These lists will be particularly quiet until after the New Years. Most members are amateurs and contrary to conventional wisdom, DO have a life and will be spending it with their families instead of online.
            Peace,

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
              p.s., These lists will be particularly quiet until after the New Years. Most members are amateurs and contrary to the hearsay, DO have a life and will be spending it with their families instead of online.
              Peace,
              Bill Tarkulich
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
                I checked the EI listing for Elisabeth Halabrin and you have reported
                it as written. However, I believe that it may be partly in error.

                My hypothesis is that she was Slovakian and not Slovanian (as
                written). That would make her village Szobotist = Sobotis'te,
                Slovakia which is notheast of Bratislava and 13 km due west of Myjava.

                Supporting my hypothesis is the following current phone listing:

                Kvetoslav Halabrín
                Sobotište 5,
                Sobotište
                034 628 2130

                Furthermore, three adjacent EI entries are going to visit Jan
                Podmajerski in Chicago. That name appears 32X in phone area code 034.
                For example:
                Mária Podmajerská
                Kalinèiakova 300
                Senica
                034 651 3214

                Of the adjacent EI names (same town): Harasnik appears 9X; Grec_ _
                appears 7X; Mic'a 13X.

                At the moment, the best that you CAN do is to check LDS fiche
                #6000786 to see what church records are archived for Szobotiste.
                Western Slovakia church records have been filmed but not yet indexed
                or released. Thus, you can WAIT for an indefinite period OR hire a
                genealogist to research the records at the relevant archive in
                Slovakia.

                To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name,
                go to the LDS web site:

                I already checked that.

                go there in person to see if they have fiche #6000786 (set of 6) on
                hand. Otherwise order it. In about a month, the fiches will arrive
                and you can begin your Halabrin research. Index is fiche #6.

                Prepelica/Prepelicova appears 17X in the Slovak phone listings. Let's
                assume that Preplica came from western Slovakia and so they had
                something in common. Perhaps the marriage was even pre-arranged. In
                such case, using phone listings once again, we have the following
                town possibilities:

                Bratislava
                Hrnc'iarovce pri Nitre
                Nitra
                Pieštany
                Štitare

                You may want to keep this list handy in case you can establish that
                Prepelica came from one of them or research all possibilities. I
                would start with the closest to Sobotis'te.

                ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.

                To find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking them up
                in the phone book white pages at
                http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first
                three letters of the family name and the area code or use 0 for all
                Slovakia.

                Good luck.
              • Dollins
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
                  Hi, Maxine --

                  You might contact SSPeter and Paul Lutheran Church in Riverside, IL. Since
                  the Prepelica family lived on the South Side, that might be where they
                  married. If you think that Elizabeth attended Trinity Slovak Lutheran
                  Church, I can look into the microfilm records that I have for that church.
                  There have been Halabrins as members of TSLC since its founding in 1894.
                  However, since the name Prepelica doesn't appear in the TSLC records, they
                  may have married in the other church. Many of the Trinity records indicate
                  the town of birth -- here's hoping that the Peter and Paul records do too.
                  St Peter and Paul Lutheran Church is at 250 Woodside Rd, Riverside, IL
                  60546; 708-442-5250.

                  There have been two obits for men named Jan Prepelica in the Denni Hlasatel:
                  Jan,Prepelica,6,Oct,1939
                  Jan,Prepelica,24,Mar,1928 (the date is when the obit was published)
                  Denni Hlasatel is a Czech-language newspaper in which Chicago Slovaks as
                  well as Czechs announced deaths. Ths obits are full of names of relatives,
                  birth towns, length of time in the US, and memberships in fraternals and
                  church. I assume that your obit for Elizabeth is from that paper, right?

                  Since I don't live in Chicago any more, I obtained the Denni Hlasatel obits
                  for my relatives from the Illinois State Library in Springfield.

                  If you haven't obtained John's death certificate, I suggest you get it to
                  see what inf is on it. If not the birth village, then the name of the
                  funeral home. Records of the funeral home might still be available.
                  http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/GenealogyMWeb/IDPHDeathSearchServlet shows
                  John's death date as March 22, 1928, with certificate number 6009362. I
                  obtained my family death certificates using the information at the Cook
                  County Clerk web page http://www.cookctyclerk.com/sub/death_certificates.asp

                  Note: according to the 1978 TSLC directory, Elizabeth's town of Sobotis~te
                  is one of the towns of western Slovakia that Chicago's Slovak Lutherans came
                  from. I have a photo of the town's Lutheran church if you'd like me to send
                  it to you.

                  Anabeth

                  > I am new to the list. I am researching my husbands relatives. He has
                  died, so only have what information I have been able to dig up.
                  > Elisabeth came over May 17, 1905. I found her at Ellis Island site
                  According to their records, she was 31 years old, so that would put her
                  birth date around 1874. Elisabeth place of resident was Szobotist and her
                  ethnicity was Hungary and Slovanian. She was single and she was going to
                  Chicago Ill.
                  > While in Chicago she met and married John Prepelica. When or where I
                  don't know. They had three children. William, Ann, and Emil. William was
                  my father-in-law. John committed suicide in 1920 or 21 in Chicago. He was
                  then in the USA for 21 years. I have not been able to find out where or
                  when he came to the states. I think he came from Czechoslovakia. Elisabeth
                  died in 1962. I have her obit. One in English and the other in Slovak,
                  which I cannot read and I think it has a lot more information in it. If I
                  understand a littel of it, it says that she has a sestra (sister?) Anna
                  Havlik in Arkansan and a bratr (brother?) Pavel Halabrin in Ceskoslovensku.
                  > Any help of where I can go to get more information I would greatly
                  appreciate it. She is in the 1920 census in Chicago with John and children
                  and in the 1930 census with her and the children. Where they use to live
                  was torn down for a new expressway many years ago.
                  > Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone,
                  > Maxine Prepelica

                • maxthemoose
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
                    Bill,
                    Thank you for the sites and recommendations. I do have a question. What
                    is BCIS Immigration files?
                    I also agree that all of us have a life and want to spend it with
                    family instead of on line. I was surprised that I received information so
                    fast.
                    Happy Holidays, Maxine
                  • Frank
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxthemoose" <maxthemoose@w...>
                      wrote:
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I am new to the list. I am researching my husbands relatives.
                      He has died, so only have what information I have been able to dig up.
                      > Elisabeth came over May 17, 1905. I found her at Ellis Island
                      site According to their records, she was 31 years old, so that would
                      put her birth date around 1874. Elisabeth place of resident was
                      Szobotist and her ethnicity was Hungary and Slovanian. She was single
                      and she was going to Chicago Ill.
                      > While in Chicago she met and married John Prepelica. When or
                      where I don't know. They had three children. William, Ann, and Emil.
                      William was my father-in-law. John committed suicide in 1920 or 21
                      in Chicago. He was then in the USA for 21 years. I have not been
                      able to find out where or when he came to the states. I think he came
                      from Czechoslovakia. Elisabeth died in 1962. I have her obit. One
                      in English and the other in Slovak, which I cannot read and I think
                      it has a lot more information in it. If I understand a littel of it,
                      it says that she has a sestra (sister?) Anna Havlik in Arkansan and a
                      bratr (brother?) Pavel Halabrin in Ceskoslovensku.
                      > Any help of where I can go to get more information I would
                      greatly appreciate it. She is in the 1920 census in Chicago with John
                      and children and in the 1930 census with her and the children. Where
                      they use to live was torn down for a new expressway many years ago.
                      > Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone,
                      > Maxine Prepelica

                      Hi Maxine

                      My first reply to your query must have been lost in the Christmas
                      mail.

                      In 1905, Elisabeth Halabrin, age 31 (b. about 1874), servant,
                      single, had emigrated to address of friend (Jan Podmajerski) at
                      7540 Jefferson Street Chicago IL.
                      Elizabet/Elisabeth (E) Erszébeth (H) Alzbeta (Sk)
                      Last Residence was listed as Szobtist (Sobtis^te)
                      Traveling with Elisabeth were three other woman also from Sobtis^te
                      who were going to 7540 Jefferson Street Chicago IL.
                      Anna Greck ?, age 25, married, servant
                      Elisabeth Harasnik, age 19, single, servant
                      Zuzanna (Susan) Mica, age 30, married, servant
                      All four were Slovaks not Slovians or whatever.
                      Today, the surname Mic^a is found under Sobtis^te and the surname
                      Harasník is found under Sobtis^te and Senica.

                      In 1922 a Pavel Halabrin, age 23 (b. about 1899), single, Slovak,
                      farmhand, had emigrated to his brother's (Martin Halabrin) address
                      at 20 Rector Street NYC NY.
                      Rector Street is located on lower tip of Manhattan near WTC and
                      West Street and the Battery.
                      Paul (E) Pál (H) Pavol (Sk) Pavel (Cz)
                      Pavel was born in Podbranc^, Czechoslovakia.
                      The new country called Ceskoslovensko had been created in 1920.
                      Pavel's closest next of kin was his father Martin Halabrin back in
                      Podbranc^, Nitra, Czechoslovakia.
                      Podbranc^ located on Myjava potok(stream) is located 3 miles ENE of
                      Stotis^te which is located on the Teplica potok (stream)

                      You could write to the surnames Halabrín and Prepelica listed under
                      Stotis^te and Podbranc^ and see if they are related ?

                      Frank Kurcina
                    • maxthemoose
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
                        Vladi,

                        Thank you for wanting to do some research. Please wait until after the
                        holidays. In the meantime I will doing some looking at the sites that Bill
                        suggested.
                        Happy Holidays, Maxine
                      • johnqadam
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 23, 2004
                          Prepelica and Halbrin families were known to one another in
                          Sobotiste. On EI, May 1, 1907, Gustav Halabrin, age 9, from
                          Sobotiste, is coming to Chicago with his Uncle Martin Prepelica to
                          visit Martin's brother J. Prepelica. Martin Prepelica's home town
                          appears to be written as Stenidz. Young Gustav appears to be John's
                          son, possibly illegitimate?

                          The old 1910 Hungarian map of (your) Nyitra Megye = county can be
                          found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg

                          Look in the yellow area, left side of map. Find Szenicz (= Senica).
                          It is the larger town ONE VILLAGE to the south of your Szobotist.

                          I will bet that your John Prepelica originated in Senica/Szenicz (not
                          Stenidz). The distance is 7 km from Sobotiste!

                          CUT and PRINT the relevant (yellow) section of the map. Otherwise,
                          you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that
                          you will likely find in church and census records.

                          Given what EI has shown us, you want to look for Lutheran church
                          records for Szobotist and Szenicz. At LDS (per earlier message), you
                          need to check fiche set #6000786 which provides a listing of church
                          records in the Slovak Archives. The pages referenced will tell you
                          the years for which church records are archived. Those records have
                          not yet been released by LDS, as mentioned earlier.

                          NOT DONE YET!

                          The 1869 Hungarian Census is VERY informative in terms of genealogy.
                          That information IS AVAILABLE through your local LDS Family History
                          Center. The following are the film numbers for Senica and Sobotiste.

                          Szobotist (Sobotište) Film 2157515 Item 3
                          (cont.) Szobotist (Sobotište) Film 2157516 Item 1
                          (cont.) Szobotist (Sobotište) Film 2157517 Item 1

                          Szenicz (Senica) Film 2157514 Item 2

                          Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. They are likely
                          closed until after the New Year. You will need to go there in person
                          to order the film(s). In about a month, the film will arrive and you
                          can book a film reader and begin your research.

                          To see a sample of the Hungarian Census form, Bill Tarkulich has it
                          at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm

                          Ho, Ho Ho from north of the border and a Merry Christmas to all!!!!
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 24, 2004
                            Maxine,

                            If you read through the reference links I cited, it will become clearer.

                            Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly INS) File May
                            include Alien Registration Form, 1st or 2nd papers, naturalization documents
                            and yearly reports amongst items. INS Alien Registration Form (if a resident
                            alien in the US in the year 1940 only). Most files are quite small, so
                            request the entire file. Expect 3-6+ month response time, or longer since
                            9-11. I've include information on how to request (petition) for a copy of
                            the file.

                            Source: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

                            ______________
                            Bill Tarkulich

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 25, 2004
                              Hello Maxine,
                              there are probably lots of places to start but one that i can suggest is the
                              suicide of John. Chicago is a huge city, but i do know that the police are
                              mandated to keep records of any deaths that are not natural forever. they can
                              destroy any records after 7 years but murders, suicides and suspicious deaths
                              must be kept on archive. the report will maybe shed some more light on him.
                              the report may have little more on it other than that he committed suicide, but
                              then again, it may shed a little more information that will point you in
                              another direction. the death may have been in the newspapers, but more likely
                              not.
                              another thing is to try to get the church record of the baptism of either
                              Emil, Ann or William. This may be your greatest source of information to get
                              started. if you can get the church to allow you to see the ledger of the
                              baptism, then you will know the village of John Prepelica's birth in Europe. the
                              ledger has all the info you will need to get started. if you ask for the
                              Baptismal certificate, it will not help you for it contains very little information.
                              you need to see the actual two-page ledger in the church's records. it
                              willl give address, godparents, parents' place of birth (you will find out more
                              about the grandmother, also, in this way. her exact place of birth) and there
                              is a box on the end that has miscellaneous information if the priest added any,
                              such as future events that were later added to the Baptismal record.,
                              confirmation, marriage etc.
                              good luck. let us know how you are doing.
                              by the way, have you found your own family history? where are your ancestors
                              from?
                              Noreen

                            • nhasior@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 25, 2004
                                Maxine,
                                did you notice that your grandmother in law's niece, Alzbieta Halabrin,
                                traveled to Chicago to visit in 1923?
                                Noreen

                              • nhasior@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 25, 2004
                                  Maxine,
                                  there is a Kvetoslov Halabrin living in Sobotiste, Slovakia and he is in the
                                  Slovak white pages. have you used the directory in your research yet? here
                                  is the link
                                  http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

                                  you can click on for the English version. you will need to put in the
                                  surname and the telephone code. for the code, put in a zero and this will allow you
                                  to view the country.
                                  Noreen