Thank you/Christmas soup!

  • pewterj
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 22, 2004
      Thanks to all of you for your help and so quickly!!! I'm checking
      out all your messages now. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
      Mary E. Jayne
    • Gil K.
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 22, 2004
        The following is a recipe for Mushroom AND Saurerkraut Soup that was passed on from my mother to my wife. This meatless soup was (and is) central to our Christmas Eve dinner.

        I'm not sure if the recipe is from my mother's family (Sarisske Jastrabie) or from my father's family (Banska Bystrica).

        Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

        Gil K.

        INGREDIENTS

        3 8 oz cans of sliced mushrooms or fresh mushrooms or dried mushrooms

        2 27 oz cans of chopped sauerkraut

        1 tbs. salt

        3 � quarts of water

        � lb. butter or margarine

        � cup flour

        3 onions - chopped

        INSTRUCTIONS

        1. Soak and rinse sauerkraut three times to remove sour flavor

        2. Place sauerkraut, onions, mushrooms, and salt in large pot with 2 � quarts of water. Bring to boil and simmer for one (1) hour.

        3. Prepare white sauce by melting butter or margarine in skillet and adding flour. Stir continuously for one (1) minute.

        4. Add 1 quart of cold water slowly to skillet stirring constantly until mixture thickens ( 3 to 5 minutes)

        5. Add white sauce (Zaprasha) to pot; bring to boil then simmer for 15 minutes.

        6. Serve & enjoy.

        pewterj <pewterj@...> wrote:

        Thanks to all of you for your help and so quickly!!! I'm checking
        out all your messages now. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
        Mary E. Jayne

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 24, 2004
          Hi Gil,
          Am in the process of making your Christmas mushroom and sauerkraut soup. In
          about 10 minutes I will make the white sauce and that will be the grand
          finale. I cannot wait to sample it. never made it before and it smells like
          pierogis. Wonderful!! I have been boiling it for hours longer than the one hour
          your recipe called for. it has smelled up the whole neighborhood. Reminds
          me of when I lived in the upstairs apartment in Clifton, New Jersey and the
          Olineks on the end of the hall cooked cabbage every night. Same smell. Then
          our Jewish neighbor on occasion would grate horseradish and wow! Funny, back
          then, I thought that the whole world smelled like this all the time. :O)
          great memories.
          Merry Christmas, Vesole Vianoce and God Bless the whole world tonight.
          Noreen

        • Janet
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
            Noreen,

            I'm wondering if the Olineks who used to live down the hall from you are
            some how related to me. I've only seen the spelling Olenik or Olejnik.
            I'll have to get with you one day about this once everything calms down.

            Jaent McKinley

            _____

[...]

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ngfhvs/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1104031793/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
            anion.yahoo.com> click here

            :HM/A=2128215/rand=301234504>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Dan Kisha
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
              Apologize for the late Christmas greetings.

              Wishing all of the Slovak World family a Very Merry Christmas and
              a Wonderful New Year.

              Also wanted to share with you a recipe for mushroom soup that my
              mother used to make. I usually make a lot, because I really love
              it. Therefore, I only know the ingredients for a large pot that I
              use.

              1) about 2 pounds of the best sauerkraut that I can buy.
              2) about 2 pounds of the best kolbasy that I can buy.
              3) One cup of rice.
              4) about 2 pounds of mushrooms
              5) add a little salt
              6) add water to fill the pot. I make a very heavy soup, but you
              may prefer a much thinner mushroom soup.
              6) Put a lid on the pot, and cook at a low boil for about 3 hours.

              It is very important that you have very good sauerkraut and
              kolbasy for this soup. Otherwise, it will not be very good.
              Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...
              Slovak Import Company
              New WWW Address: http://www.slovakic.com
              Ebay WWW Address:
              http://www.ebaystores.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany
              Phone number in the US: 410 273 1149

[...]

              http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank
              email to

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ngfhvs/M=295196.4901138.6071305.30
              01176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1104031793/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*h
              ttp://comp
              anion.yahoo.com> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D
              =groups/S=
              :HM/A=2128215/rand=301234504>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              be>

              of Service
              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
                In a message dated 12/26/04 11:23:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                meg-n-andysmom@... writes:

                > Noreen,
                >
                > I'm wondering if the Olineks who used to live down the hall from you are
                > some how related to me. I've only seen the spelling Olenik or Olejnik.
                > I'll have to get with you one day about this once everything calms down.
                >
                > Jaent McKinley

                Hi Janet
                I could be wrong about the spelling. i did an infospace.com search for
                Olinek, Olenik and Olejnik. actually, there are Olejniks in the area of where we
                lived and no Olineks at all. So your suggestion is probably the correct
                spelling. Olejnik. I remember that they were nice people. we lived in an apartment
                house on the corner of Third Street and Clifton Avenue and it had a Polish
                deli downstairs, an Italian novelty store, an antique dealer, a pet shop and an
                office. there were four apartment houses upstairs and we lived on one corner
                and the Oleniks lived on the further corner. since we did not share a common
                hallway, the smell from the cooking of the cabbage must have been powerful
                enough to come through the walls. :O)
                (As did our cooking as well)
                where did your relatives named Olenik or Olejnik live?
                Noreen

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
                  That's curiously close to the surname of one of my
                  co-workers -- OLEJNICZAK -- wonder if it's a shortened
                  version -- know of any relatives in Chicago?

                  Caye

                  --- nhasior@... wrote:

                  > Standard Time,
                  > meg-n-andysmom@... writes:
                  >

                  > > Noreen,
                  > >
                  > > I'm wondering if the Olineks who used to live down
                  > the hall from you are
                  > > some how related to me. I've only seen the
                  > spelling Olenik or Olejnik.
                  > > I'll have to get with you one day about this once
                  > everything calms down.
                  > >
                  > > Jaent McKinley
                  > >

                  > Hi Janet
                  > I could be wrong about the spelling. i did an
                  > infospace.com search for
                  > Olinek, Olenik and Olejnik. actually, there are
                  > Olejniks in the area of where we
                  > lived and no Olineks at all. So your suggestion is
                  > probably the correct
                  > spelling. Olejnik. I remember that they were nice
                  > people. we lived in an apartment
                  > house on the corner of Third Street and Clifton
                  > Avenue and it had a Polish
                  > deli downstairs, an Italian novelty store, an
                  > antique dealer, a pet shop and an
                  > office. there were four apartment houses upstairs
                  > and we lived on one corner
                  > and the Oleniks lived on the further corner. since
                  > we did not share a common
                  > hallway, the smell from the cooking of the cabbage
                  > must have been powerful
                  > enough to come through the walls. :O)
                  > (As did our cooking as well)
                  > where did your relatives named Olenik or Olejnik
                  > live?
                  > Noreen

                  > removed]

                  http://my.yahoo.com
                • Janet
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
                    All of my relatives named Olenik lived in Youngstown, Ohio as far as I know.
                    My maternal grandmother was an Olenik. Her father and mother immigrated
                    here around 1908 or so. None of this info is permanently etched in my brain
                    right now...due with 3rd baby in Feb. I haven't gotten very far in the
                    research to see where my great grandfathers siblings if any came with him.
                    I know Dr. Joe Q, who is on this list, might possibly be a relative on the
                    Olenik side. Sorry I don't have any other info to share.

                    Janet

                    _____

                    meg-n-andysmom@... writes:

                    > Noreen,
                    >
                    > I'm wondering if the Olineks who used to live down the hall from you are
                    > some how related to me. I've only seen the spelling Olenik or Olejnik.
                    > I'll have to get with you one day about this once everything calms down.
                    >
                    > Jaent McKinley

                    Hi Janet
                    I could be wrong about the spelling. i did an infospace.com search for
                    Olinek, Olenik and Olejnik. actually, there are Olejniks in the area of
                    where we
                    lived and no Olineks at all. So your suggestion is probably the correct
                    spelling. Olejnik. I remember that they were nice people. we lived in an
                    apartment
                    house on the corner of Third Street and Clifton Avenue and it had a Polish
                    deli downstairs, an Italian novelty store, an antique dealer, a pet shop and
                    an
                    office. there were four apartment houses upstairs and we lived on one
                    corner
                    and the Oleniks lived on the further corner. since we did not share a
                    common
                    hallway, the smell from the cooking of the cabbage must have been powerful
                    enough to come through the walls. :O)
                    (As did our cooking as well)
                    where did your relatives named Olenik or Olejnik live?
                    Noreen

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292ad2ut/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=gr
                    oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1104491121/A=2495202/R=0/SIG=11evjk50a/*http://www.
                    netflix.com/Default?mqso=60188913> click here

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
                    :HM/A=2495202/rand=249885717>

                    _____