Help with Death Records

  • krisstrot@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2004
      Good Morning Group!
      I am in the process of going through the films containing the birth,
      death and marriage records of my grandfather's village. It is a treasure trove of
      information. Luckily, I went armed with samples the records I'd be viewing,
      which I located at www.bmi.net/jjaso . In fact, what I'm seeing on the film
      is very close to the samples. (YAY!!) However, the list of Hungarian phrases
      doesn't contain some of the words I've come across, especially in the "cause
      of death" category. The FHC "Research Help" Hungarian List is quite extensive,
      too, but I haven't found these word there, either. It is a distinct
      possibility that I am not recognizing the letters as written for what they really are,
      a common situation in researching these old records. I thought some of you
      might recognize these words, even if I don't have all the letters correct:
      gorcsok --- the O's have " marks above them --for a 5-day old boy
      viakorsag --- the O and the second A have a ' mark above them, and I'm not
      positive the first letter is V -- for a 54-year old woman
      bilhums --- no accents -- for a 10-day old boy
      najda ganah --- it could be all one word; the last letter could be a T
      instead of H -- for a 67-year old man
      spanyolmatha --- this was a tough one to puzzle out -- for a 36-year old
      woman. In this case, several entries on the same page had this, so I'm wondering
      if it was an epidemic of some sort.

      Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!

      Also, I found that when I got to the older records (prior to 1875 or so), the
      information and headings were written in German. Can anyone direct me to a
      site where I can find this information, particularly the HEADINGS of the
      columns? I found some good information in the FHC "Research Help" section, but
      deciphering old German Script and figuring out what German words they're supposed
      to be is time consuming and tiring when sitting at a microfilm reader. Again,
      any help will be appreciated!

      Kris

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2004
        It would be far easier if you can post the scan. You may be misreading the
        script and we could waste much time looking through hundreds of words.
        Yahoogroups has a facility for posting a photo for all to see. re:
        If this all fails, you can post to a Hungary research group for this
        specific request.

        Can you identify the surrounding langauge? Some words look Magyar, but
        others look Latin. Do they all come from the same time period? What was
        the language of the header?

        gorcsok - definitely Magyar ("Hungarian"), using the obsolete "cs"
        construct; need to see the handwriting as you may be misinterpreting other
        letters.

        German headers are most often found in the Austria Empire records (Czech
        republic, Poland, etc.) There is a german reference at the FHL:
        http://tinyurl.com/6txbg

        What/where is your village?

        Plagues, epidemics were quite common before the 20th century. In fact, it
        was common for about 10-20% of the population to be lost to such a
        pestilence about once every 20 years.

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 19, 2004
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, krisstrot@a... wrote:
          > Good Morning Group!
          > I am in the process of going through the films containing the
          birth,
          > death and marriage records of my grandfather's village. It is a
          treasure trove of
          > information. Luckily, I went armed with samples the records I'd be
          viewing,
          > which I located at www.bmi.net/jjaso . In fact, what I'm seeing on
          the film
          > is very close to the samples. (YAY!!) However, the list of
          Hungarian phrases
          > doesn't contain some of the words I've come across, especially in
          the "cause
          > of death" category. The FHC "Research Help" Hungarian List is quite
          extensive,
          > too, but I haven't found these word there, either. It is a distinct
          > possibility that I am not recognizing the letters as written for
          what they really are,
          > a common situation in researching these old records. I thought
          some of you
          > might recognize these words, even if I don't have all the letters
          correct:
          > gorcsok --- the O's have " marks above them --for a 5-day old boy
          > viakorsag --- the O and the second A have a ' mark above them, and
          I'm not
          > positive the first letter is V -- for a 54-year old woman
          > bilhums --- no accents -- for a 10-day old boy
          > najda ganah --- it could be all one word; the last letter could be a
          > instead of H -- for a 67-year old man
          > spanyolmatha --- this was a tough one to puzzle out -- for a 36-year
          old
          > woman. In this case, several entries on the same page had this, so
          I'm wondering
          > if it was an epidemic of some sort.
          >
          > Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!
          >
          > Also, I found that when I got to the older records (prior to 1875 or
          so), the
          > information and headings were written in German. Can anyone direct
          me to a
          > site where I can find this information, particularly the HEADINGS of
          the
          > columns? I found some good information in the FHC "Research Help"
          section, but
          > deciphering old German Script and figuring out what German words
          they're supposed
          > to be is time consuming and tiring when sitting at a microfilm
          reader. Again,
          > any help will be appreciated!
          >
          > Kris

          Kris

          Of course, those Magyar disease terms may have had different meanings
          back then from now.
          Depends upon the year of your records ?

          For example,
          spanyol = Spanish
          náthás = to have a cold
          nátha = (common) cold

          The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 had killed millions of people.
          Known as "Spanish Flu" or "La Grippe" (i.e., Influenza in French) the
          influenza of 1918-1919 was a global disaster.

          görcs = cramp, spasm

          You can also download the German Genealogical Word List from FHL.
          But can't teach you how to interpret the German handwritten script.

          http://www.rootsweb.com/~inripchs/decipher.html+Decipher+German+handwr
          iting&hl=en&ie=UTF-

          Frank Kurcina
        • Dr. Joe Q.
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2004
            http://www.antiquusmorbus.com/

            Use the link above, select the language you want from the "ladder" on
            the left of the screen.

            Dr. "Q"

            krisstrot@... wrote:

            >Good Morning Group!
            > I am in the process of going through the films containing the birth,
            >death and marriage records of my grandfather's village. It is a treasure trove of
            >information. Luckily, I went armed with samples the records I'd be viewing,
            >which I located at www.bmi.net/jjaso . In fact, what I'm seeing on the film
            >is very close to the samples. (YAY!!) However, the list of Hungarian phrases
            >doesn't contain some of the words I've come across, especially in the "cause
            >of death" category. The FHC "Research Help" Hungarian List is quite extensive,
            >too, but I haven't found these word there, either. It is a distinct
            >possibility that I am not recognizing the letters as written for what they really are,
            >a common situation in researching these old records. I thought some of you
            >might recognize these words, even if I don't have all the letters correct:
            >gorcsok --- the O's have " marks above them --for a 5-day old boy
            >viakorsag --- the O and the second A have a ' mark above them, and I'm not
            >positive the first letter is V -- for a 54-year old woman
            >bilhums --- no accents -- for a 10-day old boy
            >najda ganah --- it could be all one word; the last letter could be a T
            >instead of H -- for a 67-year old man
            >spanyolmatha --- this was a tough one to puzzle out -- for a 36-year old
            >woman. In this case, several entries on the same page had this, so I'm wondering
            >if it was an epidemic of some sort.
            >
            >Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!
            >
            >Also, I found that when I got to the older records (prior to 1875 or so), the
            >information and headings were written in German. Can anyone direct me to a
            >site where I can find this information, particularly the HEADINGS of the
            >columns? I found some good information in the FHC "Research Help" section, but
            >deciphering old German Script and figuring out what German words they're supposed
            >to be is time consuming and tiring when sitting at a microfilm reader. Again,
            >any help will be appreciated!
            >
            >Kris

          • Dr. Joe Q.
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 19, 2004