Re: [S-R] Martinovich

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2004
      Dear Julie,
      Your folks came from what is called Dalmacija, which is the coastal area of Croatia.
      Iz ( z with diacritics) is a small island in Adriatic sea, on the level of the port of Zadar. There are two towns on this island; Veli Iz and Mali Iz ( Great and Small Iz)
      The pronunciation of Iz is similar to Ig in english. This is why it has been changed on your side.
      Do not confuse with a small Slovenian town of Ig, which has nothing to do with your folks.
      Do you remeber Zsa Zsa Gabor? The way the first part of Zsa ( without a) was pronounced is the correct way to pronouce the z in Iz. The first I has to be pronounced the same way as in Iwo Jima.
      With best regards,
      Vladimir