Re: [S-R] Eastern Slovakia history lesson

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
      Hi, Caye. Your folks came from further southeast than mine. My
      grandfather's people and distant cousins came from the valley of the
      Ols~ava, from Tuhrina down to Bidovce.

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
        Hey Andrea:

        Yep, I always swore I'd figure out my gram's folks
        were Transylvanian -- not so far off -- anyhow,
        whatever you discover, I'd be interested, as it isn't
        all that distant our relatives' proximities.

        Caye

        === message truncated ===

        http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
      • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 10, 2004
          In the next sentence "V tom case uz teda Cakanovce boli velkou
          vyvinutou dedinou", boli goes with Cakanovce and means "Cakanovce
          was." Literally boli is plural because the name of the town is
          plural, so even though it's one town you have to use a plural verb to
          agree with the name ("Cakanovce were"). It seems strange to us
          because we don't do that in English with plural placenames that refer
          to one place, e.g, Churchill Downs was cold, Six Flags was nice, Four
          Corners was boring - we don't say "were cold, were nice, were boring",
          even though all these places have plural names and ought to use
          "were".

          See how nice and logical Slovak is! :^)

          Joe

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
            Bravo, Joe!
            Vladimir

            Well, so much for my attempts at translation! How do you translate
            the word
            boli?

            > Hi Andrea! It just says "There's also a note from the year 1282,
            when
            > the large road that leads here is mentioned." Not too nefarious!
            >
            > I checked the website, and the next sentence says "At that time
            > C~akanovce was already a large developed village."
            >
            > Joe

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            http://www.eset.sk