Re: [S-R] Eastern Slovakia history lesson

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
      Caye, I can send an e-mail to the website people and hope they can
      understand me -- I am sure they have people on staff who speak better
      English than most of us do, because a lot of the main website is translated.

      Where are your people from?

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
        Well, so much for my attempts at translation! How do you translate the word
        boli?

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
            In 1285: "January - Ladislas IV called the Tatars to Hungary in order to support him in his struggle against the nobility. The Tatars devastated eastern Slovakia. (pg. 33 Slovak History Chronology and Lexicon)
            Obviously this happen 3 years later than the 1282 you were wondering about. Nonetheless, it involves the area your ancestors lived in.
            Michael Mojher

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
              Thanks. I wonder if the Tatars did trash the neighborhood. You would think
              the "Cassovia" people would mention that.

              > In 1285: "January - Ladislas IV called the Tatars to Hungary in order
              to support him in his struggle against the nobility. The Tatars devastated
              eastern Slovakia. (pg. 33 Slovak History Chronology and Lexicon)
              > Obviously this happen 3 years later than the 1282 you were wondering
              about. Nonetheless, it involves the area your ancestors lived in.
              > Michael Mojher

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                I noticed that as well (I clicked on the Union Jack in
                the upper right-hand corner) -- but didn't see the
                town references you mentioned. My gram was born in
                Kolbas which is now Brezina so maybe 30 minutes
                southeast of Kosice and maybe 15 minutes southwest of
                Trebisov. I've located a 2nd cousin in Brezina but
                there are VERY vew translators (mostly college
                students who are too busy to complete much) and we've
                managed to each send 2 letters to each other since
                maybe June. I do have a fairly brief history on
                Brezina but am curious about that area in general.
                Also have seen a few photographs of the area and the
                town seal/crest. Luckily my 2nd cousin has teenage
                daughters who have taken German and one of them is
                currently attempting English -- so hopefully, before
                too much more time her daughter can be our go-between.
                The town only has 3 computers -- and last time I
                heard only one of those had internet with e-mail.
                From which village(s) are your ancestors?

                Caye

                http://my.yahoo.com
              • Andrea Vangor
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                  Hi, Caye. Your folks came from further southeast than mine. My
                  grandfather's people and distant cousins came from the valley of the
                  Ols~ava, from Tuhrina down to Bidovce.

                  > I noticed that as well (I clicked on the Union Jack in
                  > the upper right-hand corner) -- but didn't see the
                  > town references you mentioned. My gram was born in
                  > Kolbas which is now Brezina so maybe 30 minutes
                  > southeast of Kosice and maybe 15 minutes southwest of
                  > Trebisov. I've located a 2nd cousin in Brezina but
                  > there are VERY vew translators (mostly college
                  > students who are too busy to complete much) and we've
                  > managed to each send 2 letters to each other since
                  > maybe June. I do have a fairly brief history on
                  > Brezina but am curious about that area in general.
                  > Also have seen a few photographs of the area and the
                  > town seal/crest. Luckily my 2nd cousin has teenage
                  > daughters who have taken German and one of them is
                  > currently attempting English -- so hopefully, before
                  > too much more time her daughter can be our go-between.
                  > The town only has 3 computers -- and last time I
                  > heard only one of those had internet with e-mail.
                  > From which village(s) are your ancestors?
                  >
                  > Caye
                  >

                  > --- Andrea Vangor <drav@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Caye, I can send an e-mail to the website people and
                  > > hope they can
                  > > understand me -- I am sure they have people on staff
                  > > who speak better
                  > > English than most of us do, because a lot of the
                  > > main website is translated.
                  > >
                  > > Where are your people from?

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                    Hey Andrea:

                    Yep, I always swore I'd figure out my gram's folks
                    were Transylvanian -- not so far off -- anyhow,
                    whatever you discover, I'd be interested, as it isn't
                    all that distant our relatives' proximities.

                    Caye

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
                  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 10, 2004
                      In the next sentence "V tom case uz teda Cakanovce boli velkou
                      vyvinutou dedinou", boli goes with Cakanovce and means "Cakanovce
                      was." Literally boli is plural because the name of the town is
                      plural, so even though it's one town you have to use a plural verb to
                      agree with the name ("Cakanovce were"). It seems strange to us
                      because we don't do that in English with plural placenames that refer
                      to one place, e.g, Churchill Downs was cold, Six Flags was nice, Four
                      Corners was boring - we don't say "were cold, were nice, were boring",
                      even though all these places have plural names and ought to use
                      "were".

                      See how nice and logical Slovak is! :^)

                      Joe

                      Well, so much for my attempts at translation! How do you translate
                      the word
                      boli?

                      > Hi Andrea! It just says "There's also a note from the year 1282,
                      when
                      > the large road that leads here is mentioned." Not too nefarious!
                      >
                      > I checked the website, and the next sentence says "At that time
                      > C~akanovce was already a large developed village."
                      >
                      > Joe

                    • Vladimir Bohinc
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
                        Bravo, Joe!
                        Vladimir

                        Well, so much for my attempts at translation! How do you translate
                        the word
                        boli?

                        > Hi Andrea! It just says "There's also a note from the year 1282,
                        when
                        > the large road that leads here is mentioned." Not too nefarious!
                        >
                        > I checked the website, and the next sentence says "At that time
                        > C~akanovce was already a large developed village."
                        >
                        > Joe

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        http://www.eset.sk