[S-R] Re: Place Name Help - Surname Va'mos^ # 2

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John Vamos" <jvamos@e...> wrote:
      > Frank,
      >
      > The Ersebet Vamos that you mentioned was my grandfather's sister.
      She emigrated a year+ before he did. My Stefan Vamos entered the US
      through Baltimore in Jan.1912. I have found the ship manifests for
      both of them. There are a number of Vamos surnames in the Pittsburgh
      area who don't appear to be directly related. Thanks for your help.

      > John

      John,

      Yes.
      You need to be selective in your surname research.
      Probably 300-400 surname Vamos bearers just in the U.S.

      Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
      part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.

      The Slovakia telephone directory lists 85 surnames Vámos and Vámos^.

      Ellis Island records 1892-1924 listed 228 surnames Vamos,
      mainly from Hungary proper rather than from Upper-Hungary (Slovakia)
      Only two surnames were from Alsocsaj, Julia and Erzsebet.

      And only 1 surname had emigrated to US from Nizny Caj.
      In 1922 a Stefan, age 30 (b. about 1892), single.

      The Hungarian telephone directory lists surnames Vamos, e.g.
      under Budapest and elsewhere.

      SSDI listed 146 surnames Vamos.
      Some had Hungarian first names.

      SSDI also listed 3 surnames spelled Vamosh, so expect they
      were from Slovakia.

      Frank K

      Duquesne
      > PA.
      > Duquesne was a mill town near McKeeport located just east of
      > Pittsburgh in SW PA.
      >
      > On Oct 11, 1910 Erzsebet (H) Alzbeta (Sk) Elizabeth Vamos,
      Slovak,age
      > 18 (b. about 1892), single, born in Alsocsaj, Hungary had
      emigrated
      > via Ellis Island to her uncle György (H) Juraj (Sk) George Juhacz
      in
      > Donora PA.
      > Her closest next of kin was her father István (H) Stefan (Sk)
      Stephen
      > Vamos in Alsocsaj, Hungary.
      > Donora is a small industrial town south of Pittsburgh which
      > experienced this nation's worst air pollution disaster in 1948,
      when
      > 3,500 of its inhabitants were hospitalized and 20 died.
      >
      > Frank K

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.