Re: Place Name Help - Surname Vamos

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John Vamos" <jvamos@e...> wrote:
      > In searching for information relative to my Granfather, Stefan
      Vamos, I have found from a marriage document and Declaration of
      Intention that his place of birth was Nyzni Caj, near Kosice. I can
      find this village on present day maps. This birthplace also agrees
      with family oral history. In searching immigration records I believe
      that I have found him arriving in Baltimore in 1912, which agrees with
      the information on his Petition for Naturalization. A question that I
      have, one of many, is that on the ship manifest his place of origin is
      listed as Alsoosay. My Granfather's sister ( I think) arrived in New
      York and her place of origin is listed as Alsocsaj, Hungary. Any
      ideas on this place of origin? Could it be a Hungarian spelling of
      the present N. Caj, bad transliteration, wrong people, some form of
      Abauj?
      > I have searched Shtetlseeker without success.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > John Vamos

      ahoj John

      Niz^ny' C^aj (Sk) was also called Alschó-Cschaj (Ger ?) and Alsó-Csáj
      (Alsocsaj) (Hung)

      Hungarian English Slovak grammatical form
      kis little malá/malé/maly'
      nagy large vel'ká/vel'ké/vel'ky'
      felso" upper horná/horné/horny'
      alsó lower dolná/dolné/dolny'
      felso" upper vys^ná/vys^né/vys^ny'
      alsó lower niz^ná/niz^né/niz^ny'

      Caj (chaj) means tea in Slovak.
      The Hungarian letter "cs" (ch) was equivalent to the Slovak diacritic
      c^.
      In Slavic languages and Hungarian the letter j is pron. y.

      What was your GF's religion ?
      The LDS-Mormons have filmed R.C., G.C., Lutheran, and Calvinist
      parish church records for Niz^ny' C^aj (from mid-1750s to c 1895).

      So your GF Stefan (Sk) Stephen Vamos , age 30 (b. about 1892), single,
      had emigrated to US from Niz^ny' C^aj, Czechoslovakia in 1922.
      The surname Vámos^ (Vamosh) is still found in Niz^ny' C^aj, Slovakia.

      In 1900 another Stefan Vamosi , age 30 (b. about 1870), single, had
      emigrated from Ungvár(H) Uzhhorod, now located just across the eastern
      border of Slovakia in the Ukraine.

      Today, the surname Vámos^i is found in Kos^ice, Slovakia.

      How are you ? English

      Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

      Hogy Van ? Hungarian

      Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

      Jak sie masz ? Polish

      K A K /| E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
      (k ah k d ye l a)

      R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)
      (yah k s p r á v ee )

      Frank Kurcina