Re: Czech records

  • Maura Petzolt
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2000
      The FHC doesn't have any records from what is now Czech Republic. The
      Czech Republic will not allow their records to be microfilmed by the LDS
      Church, altho my sources in SLC tell me they keep requesting on a
      regular basis hoping they will "change their minds".

      For Czech Republic you must use their Archives, usually by going through
      Archivex. I've used them and they are reliable and not really that
      expensive for what you get, but it does take -forever-.

      I sent off another request based upon the first findings (which took a
      full year to get.... but was 2 full more generations back for $34 US)
      the first week of July. It's now eight months later and I haven't heard
      a thing yet. I anxiously await the mail every day.

      What happens is you send off the request , they do the research, they
      notify you they have found something and tell you how much to send
      (hopefully you have given them enough information to search and have set
      a preset $$ limit of what you're willing to spend), and then you send it
      off (US check is fine) and about two weeks later you get the info sent
      registered mail. Then if you didn't pay for the English translation ,
      you translate it . You also get transcriptions unless you specifically
      say you want copies. (This time I was smarter, and asked for copies and
      translation into English).

      This shouldn't sound like I'm "down" on them, I'm not. It's just that
      dealing with Slovak Republic records are so much easier as they -are-
      filmed.... and I"m -dying- to get some more information on my Silhavy
      line. The waiting is about to kill me !!!!