Zips and Donauschwaben Area Connections

  • Thomas Reimer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2004
      There is a more close connection in many cases. After the Turks withdrew,
      the rather empty area was resettled by all ethnic groups from the Kingdom of
      Hungary and from the German Empire (since the Habsburg had that job, too).
      Among the settlers were also Slovaks, esp. around Petrovac.

      The Donauschwaben had their own ethnic identity. But they did not produce
      ministers in large numbers, the farms being too rich--why become a Lutheran
      minister paid a pittance when you can farm a rich 100 acres of wheat. In the
      Zips, to become a minister was always a step up for young men toiling on
      small and stony farms. In the Vojvodina, it was not always a step up. And so
      many Lutheran ministers from the Zips worked in the Banat and the Batschka.
      So did mein great-grandfather, who moved from Bierbrunn (Vibornej), where he
      had been minister from 1890 to 1913, to Bulkes in the Batschka (today Maglic
      in the Vojvodina). His predecessor there had been a Zipser, too. So were the
      two other ministers who competed for the job. When he died, most of his
      children had moved back to what had in 1919 become part of Czechoslovakia,
      but some children married and stayed in the Batschka. I'm sure that happened
      not only in my family.

      Thomas