Re: [S-R] Re: a town

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 4, 2004
      Sremska Mitrovica is located right in the middle of Srem, which is a geaographical area right west of Belgrade.
      It never was located in Slavonia, which is another geagraphical area, more West.
      It is located on Sava river, but not on Danube river. There is Fruska gora mountain between those two rivers. At the same distance from Belgrade, a capital of Vojvodina, Novi Sad , is located on Danube.
      Right next to Sremska Mitrovica, on the left side, is a small town of Lacarak.
      This is Serbia now.
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 5, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
        wrote:
        > Sremska Mitrovica is located right in the middle of Srem, which is a
        geaographical area right west of Belgrade.
        > It never was located in Slavonia, which is another geagraphical
        area, more West.
        > It is located on Sava river, but not on Danube river. There is
        Fruska gora mountain between those two rivers. At the same distance
        from Belgrade, a capital of Vojvodina, Novi Sad , is located on
        Danube.
        > Right next to Sremska Mitrovica, on the left side, is a small town
        of Lacarak.
        > This is Serbia now.
        > Vladimir

        Dear Vladimir,
        mea culpa

        prepác^te (Sk)
        tut mir leid (G)
        z^ao mi je (Cr)
        z^al mi je (Sl)

        I should have written
        DONAUSCHWABEN TOWN NAMES LOCATED IN SYRMIA

        i.e., Syrmisch-Mitrowitz, Mitrowitz/Sremska' Mitrovica, Mitrowica,
        Mitrovicza/Hrvatska Mitrovica

        History of the Region

        " In Antiquity the municipality of Sirmium (today Syrmisch-Mitrowitz)
        was the capital of the Roman province of Lower Pannonia.
        This name was later to be applied to the entire surrounding region.
        It was first settled by Germans during the Carolingian period
        and again later under the first kings of Hungary, the Arpads.
        The mountain range known as the Frankengebirge (or Fruska Gora)
        recalls the Frankish title to this territory.

        An Eastern Orthodox Metropolitan had his seat at Sremski Karlovci.
        After 1557, the Serbian Patriarch at Pec (Ipek) had jurisdiction
        over this.

        After 1526, the region fell to the Ottoman Empire, many of
        the previous inhabitants fleeing before them.

        With the conquests by the Habsburg Empire under Emperor Leopold I,
        the Turks were expelled in 1687. A peace treaty signed at Sremski
        Karlovci (Karlowitz) in 1699 confirmed this.
        The rest of Syrmia, the southeast portion, was added at the Peace of
        Pozarevac (Passarowitz) in 1718. As the region was now significantly
        depopulated, the Habsburg authorities encouraged emigration from
        other parts of their Empire; thus did Syrmia become part of the
        Danube-Swabian migration with the first German settlers going to
        Semlin.

        Emperor Leopold I first rewarded the Italian Odescalchi with Syrmia;
        later it came to the Albani. Following the peace treaty of
        Belgrade in 1739, German craftsmen and merchants settled in
        Peterwardein (Schwabendörfel, Mayerhof), Karlowitz (Deutsche Gasse),
        Mitrowitz and Vukovar. In 1745 the district of Syrmia
        was established with capital at Wukowar; its first governor was Baron
        Pejacevic (Pejatschewitsch) who in 1746 settled the first Germans on
        his property at Ruma. In the same year 10 to 30 kilometer-wide
        strips of formerly military territory along southern Syrmia were
        integrated into its territory.
        Previously this area had been directly administered by the Court
        Chamber (Hofkammer) in Vienna. The remainder belonged to
        various local nobles. In 1777, Friedrich Wilhelm (von) Taube, servant
        to the Court Chamber, secretly reported on Syrmia to
        the effect that due to the Turkish wars the land had become a
        wilderness and that the first immigrants had fallen victim to
        epidemics.

        Some founding dates (according to: Günter Schödl, Land an der
        Donau):
        1770: Stara Pasova (founded for Protestant Slovaks)
        1783: Neu-Slankamen (in the Military Border region, founded by
        Germans among others)
        1787: suburb of Semlin (like Neu-Slankamen)
        1790: about 600 Protestant families from southwest Germany, via Ulm,
        went to Peterwardein 1790-1820: re-establishment of German communities
        in the Military Border region; the first was:
        1791: Neu-Pasua (founded by 62 of the 600 families who had left from
        Ulm in 1790); Neu Banovci saw the arrival of more Germans and was
        almost fully German as of 1870.
        post 1800: The daughter settlement of Sotin whose inhabitants came
        from Neudorf, just across the Danube.
        1817: Neudorf by Vinkovci (founded for Protestant Germans)
        In the course of the 19th century -- in particular in the years 1820
        to 1850 -- settlements, particularly Opatovac, Lowas,Jarmina, Berak,
        Tompojevci, Tovarnik, Ilaca, Svinjarevci, Babska Nova and Orolik were
        strengthened by the influx of or establishments from daughter
        settlements in the Batschka. While this last group of settlements was
        all Roman Catholic, 1859
        saw the start of another influx of Evangelical Lutheran settlers, this
        time into Sidski Banovci, Neu-Jankowzi, Beschka, Bingula,
        Krcedin and others.

        1867 saw the division of the the Austro-Hungarian Dual Monarchy into a
        western, Austrian and an eastern, Hungarian half, the latter of which
        included Syrmia. The aftermath saw a strong magyarization effort.

        Syrmia remained in the Austrian Empire and then the Kingdom of Hungary
        component of Austro-Hungarian Empire until the end of the First World
        War. At this time most of Syrmia apart from the extreme eastern
        portion joined the new nation of Yugoslavia as part of the Treaty of
        Trianon (June 4, 1920) to become part of the Vojvodina autonomous
        region of the Serbian Republic.
        Administratively, it was part of the larger eastern section
        called Danube Banschaft, with a smaller western section
        belonging to the Save Banschaft. There was a strong slavicization
        effort, with which the Donauschwaben in Syrmia accommodated themselves
        well.

        Even though the region was not absorbed back into Hungary during
        the years 1941-44 as other neighboring regions were Syrmia was not
        spared the cruel fate that most Donauschwaben regions experienced
        during and following the Second World War. Following it, Syrmia was
        again part of the Vojvodina within the Serbian part of the Yugoslavian
        Republic. "

        Frank K

        Service.

        > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.935 (20041126) __________

        > http://www.eset.sk

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 5, 2004
          Dear Frank,
          Nista, nista. Sve je u redu.:-)
          Vladimir

> [...]

          War. At this time most of Syrmia apart from the extreme eastern
          portion joined the new nation of Yugoslavia as part of the Treaty of
          Trianon (June 4, 1920) to become part of the Vojvodina autonomous
          region of the Serbian Republic.
          Administratively, it was part of the larger eastern section
          called Danube Banschaft, with a smaller western section
          belonging to the Save Banschaft. There was a strong slavicization
          effort, with which the Donauschwaben in Syrmia accommodated themselves
          well.

          Even though the region was not absorbed back into Hungary during
          the years 1941-44 as other neighboring regions were Syrmia was not
          spared the cruel fate that most Donauschwaben regions experienced
          during and following the Second World War. Following it, Syrmia was
          again part of the Vojvodina within the Serbian part of the Yugoslavian

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          http://www.eset.sk

        • krisstrot@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 5, 2004
            In a message dated 12/5/2004 7:59:52 AM Central Standard Time,
            frankur@... writes:

            >>At this time most of Syrmia apart from the extreme eastern
            portion joined the new nation of Yugoslavia as part of the Treaty of
            Trianon (June 4, 1920) to become part of the Vojvodina autonomous
            region of the Serbian Republic. <<

            Hi, Frank ... Interesting that you mention Vojvodina and Donauschwaben towns.
            I hadn't thought to mention this part of my family history here (instead,
            concentrating on my Grandfather's family in the Szepes area), but I guess my
            Grandmother also qualifies for Slovak-Roots. My Grandmother (born Christina
            Scharf) was also a German, who lived in a German town, who spoke German and
            considered herself a German, but who happened to be a citizen of Hungary because she
            lived in the Vojvodina area of what is now the Serbian Republic. Her town
            was Crvenka (aka Cservenka or Tscherwenka) and she was a Donauschwaben. I have
            had little luck finding birth, marriage and death records from this town, and
            have come to understand they were lost after WWII. What information I have
            been able to find (Angela Hefner at
            http://www.genealogienetz.de/vereine/AKdFF/CDROM-e.htm) hasn't helped much (except to show her father's original ancestral
            connection to the village at its founding in 1785). I wonder if there are
            civil records available, and if this area is part of the 1869 Hungarian census.
            Anyone know?
            Kris

          • Frank
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 7, 2004
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, krisstrot@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 12/5/2004 7:59:52 AM Central Standard Time,
              > frankur@w... writes:
              >
              > >>At this time most of Syrmia apart from the extreme eastern
              > portion joined the new nation of Yugoslavia as part of the Treaty of
              > Trianon (June 4, 1920) to become part of the Vojvodina autonomous
              > region of the Serbian Republic. <<
              >
              > Hi, Frank ... Interesting that you mention Vojvodina and
              Donauschwaben towns.
              > I hadn't thought to mention this part of my family history here
              (instead,
              > concentrating on my Grandfather's family in the Szepes area), but I
              guess my
              > Grandmother also qualifies for Slovak-Roots. My Grandmother (born
              Christina
              > Scharf) was also a German, who lived in a German town, who spoke
              German and
              > considered herself a German, but who happened to be a citizen of
              Hungary because she
              > lived in the Vojvodina area of what is now the Serbian Republic.
              Her town
              > was Crvenka (aka Cservenka or Tscherwenka) and she was a
              Donauschwaben. I have
              > had little luck finding birth, marriage and death records from this
              town, and
              > have come to understand they were lost after WWII. What information
              I have
              > been able to find (Angela Hefner at
              > http://www.genealogienetz.de/vereine/AKdFF/CDROM-e.htm) hasn't
              helped much (except to show her father's original ancestral
              > connection to the village at its founding in 1785). I wonder if
              there are
              > civil records available, and if this area is part of the 1869
              Hungarian census.
              > Anyone know?
              > Kris

              Kris

              Only one census, Cservenka in 1828.

              All that exists of former Yugoslavia now is Serbia and Montenegro -
              a single republic.

              The six republics that had formed the former Yugoslavia were : Bosnia
              and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia, and Serbia.
              Wars were fought in 1990s and Croatia, Slovenia, and Bosnia became
              independent.

              Cservenka

              Village Names:

              German: Tscherwenka, Rotweil
              Official: Crvenka
              Hungarian: Cservenka
              Spelling and/or dialect variants: Cervenka, Rot

              Location:

              Country: Yugoslavia
              near Kula (four Kulas
              in Serbia ?)

              Population:

              1921: 8,851 (6,850)
              1910: 7,674 (6,861)
              1880: 7,025 (6,268)

              Genealogical Records:

              Village name in FHL records:
              Church records available at FHL:
              FHL Microfilm Nr.:
              FHL Census Microfilm: Cservenka in 1828: # 622964

              Miscellaneous:

              Bibliography (only in German)
              Earliest Appearance in History: 1543
              Earliest German Settlement: 1784
              Churches: Evangelical Lutheran/Banya diocese, Reformed/Dunamellek
              diocese
              District: 8 - Kula
              Some settlers of this town continued migration eastward to Russia
              as documented in Karl Stumpp's The Emigration from Germany to
              Russia (AHSGR)
              History of Cservenka (in Serbian)

              http://solair.eunet.yu/%7Emarjanj/crvenka.html

              Frank K
            • Jeanann Jameson
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 24, 2004
                hi noreen sorry this took so long to answer you but my
                computer has been broke. i have no clues about the
                villages my grandparents lived in other than they
                talked about lacarak and mitchovich i'm thinking they
                lived at one time in both villages. their parents were
                farmers and there farms were right next to each other.
                here in the u.s. when friends or relatives would come
                over the adults would speek slovak so the kids
                couldn't understand what they were speaking about but
                normally they spoke german. my grandfather spoke seven
                languages and my grandmother spoke 4. being on a farm
                i have no idea why. well thanks for your help and have
                a nice holiday. jean
                --- nhasior@... wrote:

                > Hi Jean,
                > my grandmother also spoke German, Polish, Slovak and
                > Polish. She came from
                > what was then the Austrio-Hungarian Empire. Today,
                > her particular village was
                > in the Eastern part of Slovakia near the town of
                > Poprad. it is a spa and
                > mineral water healing area of Slovakia and the
                > reason that so many languages were
                > learned is that many of the townspeople worked at
                > the spas. many people of
                > foreign countries such as Germany, would come and
                > stay for spa treatments for
                > ailments.
                > what else do you know about the place? Belgrade is
                > very far away, but maybe
                > this will help give you another clue as to why all
                > the languages.
                > Noreen

                > removed]

                http://my.yahoo.com
              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 24, 2004
                  Lacarak is 47.1 miles WNW of Belgrade and Sremska Mitrovica is the
                  adjacent village.

                  ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 25, 2004
                    <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
                    > hi noreen sorry this took so long to answer you but my
                    > computer has been broke. i have no clues about the
                    > villages my grandparents lived in other than they
                    > talked about lacarak and mitchovich i'm thinking they
                    > lived at one time in both villages. their parents were
                    > farmers and there farms were right next to each other.
                    > here in the u.s. when friends or relatives would come
                    > over the adults would speek slovak so the kids
                    > couldn't understand what they were speaking about but
                    > normally they spoke german. my grandfather spoke seven
                    > languages and my grandmother spoke 4. being on a farm
                    > i have no idea why. well thanks for your help and have
                    > a nice holiday. jean

                    jean wrote

                    > I have no clues about the villages my grandparents lived other than
                    > they talked about Lacark and Mitchovich

                    > the adults would speak Slovak so the kids couldn't understand what
                    > they were speaking about but normally they spoke German.

                    > my grandfather spoke seven languages and my grandmother spoke 4

                    > my grandfather was Andres Rak. I have been told they are from
                    > Austria, Czech, Poland, Yugoslavia at this point don't know
                    > some of towns my mother has mentioned are lacark, mikitovich,
                    > macvenska, and hesse

                    > My older brother says my grandfather Andras Rak is from Lacarak,
                    > Hungary and my grandmother is from Mitrovica Austria and they were
                    > only a few miles apart

                    > my great grandmother was Froni (Veronica) Stranc married Stefan
                    > Yellenburger
                    > no dates or information on either of them
                    > her children were names Annie and Magdalena. Magdalena is my
                    > grandmother who was born in 1884.
                    > My grandmother has mentioned before she died the Danube River,
                    > Sabe River, Lakarak, and a town that had two names in it something
                    > like Mitovicha-Manscha

                    Over 51 million people lived in the former Austro-Hungarian Empire.
                    The two largest ethnic groups were Germans (10 million) and Hungarians
                    (9 million). There were also Poles, Croats, Bosnians,
                    Serbians,Italians,
                    Czechs, Ruthenes, Slovenes, Slovaks and Romanians.
                    Overall, fifteen different languages were spoken in the former
                    Austro-Hungarian Empire.

                    Lacarak is located 47 miles NNW of Belgrade (Beograd) Serbia and
                    Sremska Mitrovica is an adjacent village.
                    Macvanska Mitrovica is located 45 miles NNW of Belgrade.
                    The Sava River is located close by.

                    Hesse is a region (province) located in SW Germany.
                    During WW II American troops "liberated" Hesse from the Germans.

                    Many if not all Donauschwaben (Danube Germans) had barged down
                    the Donau (Danube) River during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
                    These migrants often set out from the cities of Ulm or Günzburg,
                    Schwaben (Swabia), Germany, along the Danube River or on it via
                    the famous "Ulmer Schachtel" (Ulm Crates or barges), hence the name,
                    Donauschwaben.
                    Some migrated from modern Baden-Württemberg, Alsace, and Lorraine.
                    Others hailed from Austria and other places in the Austro-Hungarian
                    Empire. Hence germane (pertinent to the former AHE)

                    According to the Treaty of Trianon (June 4, 1920), Hungary lost
                    two-thirds of its former territory to Czechoslovakia (Slovakia,
                    Carpathian Rus'), Romania (Transylvania, * Banat), Yugoslavia
                    (Croatia, Slavonia, Syrmia, Bac^ka, western Banat), and Austria
                    (Burgenland)
                    Germans (Donauschwaben) lived in the Area of Syrmien County the
                    Batschka and the Banat. (Also Hungary)
                    Szerém (H) Syrmia (E) Syrmien (G) Srem (Cr)

                    The six republics that formed the former Yugoslavia were :
                    Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia,
                    and Serbia.

                    In 1945 the Communist Yugoslavs had expelled all the Donauschwaben
                    from the country.
                    Following the breakup of the former Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in
                    1991, Slovenija became a separate republic as did Croatia
                    (Croatia-Slavonia)
                    A war was fought in former Yugoslavia in 1990s between Croatian and
                    Serbian forces.
                    NATO and US forces had bombed Serbia.
                    Croatia , Bosnia, and Slovenia gained their independence.
                    All that remains of Yugoslavia today is Serbia and its tiny partner
                    Montenegro (Crna Gora)

                    According to online EIR.
                    In 1908 an Andreas Rak, age 28 (b. about 1880), married, German, born
                    in Lacsarak (a Hungarian spelling), had emigrated to his brother's
                    Peter Rak address in Detroit MI.
                    András (H) Andrej (Sk) Andrew (E) Andreas (G)(L)
                    Andrew had been in Detroit before and was a Non-Immigrant Alien (i.e.,
                    he hadn't settled permanently in the USA)
                    His closest next of kin was his mother Katharina Rak (assume she was
                    back in Lacarak, then still in Hungary)
                    So his wife may have resided either in Detroit or in Lacarak ?

                    Frank Kurcina
                  • nhasior@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                      Hi Jean,
                      according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak, exact spelling, is in Serbia.
                      have you found Mitchovich ?
                      Noreen

                    • johnqadam
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                        Look at "according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak is in Serbia." and you
                        will see "Mitchovich" next door.

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:
                        > Hi Jean,
                        > according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak, exact spelling, is in Serbia.
                        > have you found Mitchovich ?
                        > Noreen
                      • Jeanann Jameson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                          thanks for your help. happy new year jean
                          --- johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                          > Look at "according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak is in
                          > Serbia." and you
                          > will see "Mitchovich" next door.
                          >
                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a...
                          > wrote:
                          > > Hi Jean,
                          > > according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak, exact
                          > spelling, is in Serbia.
                          > > have you found Mitchovich ?
                          > > Noreen

                          http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
                        • Jeanann Jameson
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                            hi and happy new year. i believe they are close to
                            each other but someone said there was a mountain
                            between the two towns. i found out my grandparents
                            lived in both towns. i still can't figure out how to
                            spell my grandmothers last name. i have tried many
                            variations for ellis island but can't find anything.
                            still looking. jean

                            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250