a town

  • jjeanann2000
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 21, 2004
      Hi i just found out that my grandmother may have come from a town or
      village by a name that sounds like Estrarich in Austria. Any help
      would be great. thanks Jean
    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
        Jean,

        I am sorry to be the one to disappoint you, but my immediate guess is
        that "Estrarich" is really "Österreich", which is what the Austrians
        call their own country, Austria. This can also be
        spelled "Oesterreich".

        So you have not narrowed it down to a village, but just the country.
        This can still include Austria, or Austrian Galicia which is now part
        of Poland & Ukraine. By some careless uses it can also be meant to
        include Hungary or Slovakia.

        To make sure, look up Jewish gen on the web and try their
        stettleseeker, which works phonetically.

        Good luck. Do you have any other hints, or even words that might
        give us a hint as to which dialect they spoke?

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jjeanann2000"
        <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:

        > Hi i just found out that my grandmother may have come from a town
        or
        > village by a name that sounds like Estrarich in Austria. Any help
        > would be great. thanks Jean
      • Jeanann Jameson
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
          hi ron, thanks for getting back to me. i was hoping it
          meant a town. the only town my mother remembers my
          grandmother speaking is and excuse the spelling
          Lacarac and Mitcovit and i believe bill once told me
          those towns were what is now near belgrade. my
          grandparents spoke german, hungarian, polish, and
          slovick they were catholic so i'm still in the dark
          about everything. but thanks for getting back to me.
          maybe back then it was all called austria. thanks
          again jean
          --- amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:

          > Jean,
          >
          > I am sorry to be the one to disappoint you, but my
          > immediate guess is
          > that "Estrarich" is really "�sterreich", which is
          > what the Austrians
          > call their own country, Austria. This can also be
          > spelled "Oesterreich".
          >
          > So you have not narrowed it down to a village, but
          > just the country.
          > This can still include Austria, or Austrian Galicia
          > which is now part
          > of Poland & Ukraine. By some careless uses it can
          > also be meant to
          > include Hungary or Slovakia.
          >
          > To make sure, look up Jewish gen on the web and try
          > their
          > stettleseeker, which works phonetically.
          >
          > Good luck. Do you have any other hints, or even
          > words that might
          > give us a hint as to which dialect they spoke?
          >
          > Ron
          >

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jjeanann2000"
          > <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi i just found out that my grandmother may have
          > come from a town
          > or
          > > village by a name that sounds like Estrarich in
          > Austria. Any help
          > > would be great. thanks Jean

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
            LACARAK, Setbia 47.1 miles WNW of Belgrade
            MITROVIC (SREMSCA MITROVICA), Serbia 44.2 miles WNW of Belgrade

            ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2004
              Hi Jean,
              my grandmother also spoke German, Polish, Slovak and Polish. She came from
              what was then the Austrio-Hungarian Empire. Today, her particular village was
              in the Eastern part of Slovakia near the town of Poprad. it is a spa and
              mineral water healing area of Slovakia and the reason that so many languages were
              learned is that many of the townspeople worked at the spas. many people of
              foreign countries such as Germany, would come and stay for spa treatments for
              ailments.
              what else do you know about the place? Belgrade is very far away, but maybe
              this will help give you another clue as to why all the languages.
              Noreen

            • Frank
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 4, 2004
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jeanann Jameson
                <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
                > hi ron, thanks for getting back to me. i was hoping it
                > meant a town. the only town my mother remembers my
                > grandmother speaking is and excuse the spelling
                > Lacarac and Mitcovit and i believe bill once told me
                > those towns were what is now near belgrade. my
                > grandparents spoke german, hungarian, polish, and
                > slovick they were catholic so i'm still in the dark
                > about everything. but thanks for getting back to me.
                > maybe back then it was all called austria. thanks
                > again jean

                Jean
                hi
                tag (G)
                czesc (P)
                ahoj (Sk)
                zdravo (Cr)

                Sremská Mitrovica (Croatian)
                Mitróvicza (Hungarian)
                Mitrowitz (German)
                Sirmium (Latin)

                Sremská Mitrovica was a stop located on the Danube and Sava rivers on
                the mission of brothers Cyril and Methodius to convert Greater
                Moravia to Christianity in 863 AD.
                Supposedly the Slovaks, Czechs, and Carpatho-Rusyns were already
                established in Greater Moravia.

                Sremská Mitrovica is located in Serbia today, but it was located in
                Slavonia before WW I in Szerém megye (county), Hungary.
                Syrmia (E)
                Srem (Cr)
                Syrmien (G)

                Was your GM's husband a Andreas Rak ?
                What about a Andrea Rak, age 28, Hungarian-Croatian, married, who had
                emigrated in 1906 via port of Trieste to his brother-in-law in
                Steelton,PA.
                Andrea's Last Residence was Lacarak, i.e., Lac'arak (Srbija)

                Andrew (E)
                Andreas (G) (L)
                András (H)
                Andrea (I)
                Andreja (Cr)

                Steelton PA
                When the steel mill was erected, the stretch of land was named Steel
                City; that name eventually evolved into the proper title, Steelton.:
                "tons of steel."
                Before the works were built in 1866, the undeveloped land housed only
                six families.
                In the heyday of the steel industry, it was had over 16,000 residents,
                representing 33 different ethnic groups. With increasing
                deindustrialization and the closing down of many of the steel mill 's
                operations, the population declined to 5,162 people.

                Frank Kurcina

                > --- amiak27 <rmat@p...> wrote:
                >

                > > Jean,
                > >
                > > I am sorry to be the one to disappoint you, but my
                > > immediate guess is
                > > that "Estrarich" is really "Österreich", which is
                > > what the Austrians
                > > call their own country, Austria. This can also be
                > > spelled "Oesterreich".
                > >
                > > So you have not narrowed it down to a village, but
                > > just the country.
                > > This can still include Austria, or Austrian Galicia
                > > which is now part
                > > of Poland & Ukraine. By some careless uses it can
                > > also be meant to
                > > include Hungary or Slovakia.
                > >
                > > To make sure, look up Jewish gen on the web and try
                > > their
                > > stettleseeker, which works phonetically.
                > >
                > > Good luck. Do you have any other hints, or even
                > > words that might
                > > give us a hint as to which dialect they spoke?
                > >
                > > Ron
                > >

                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jjeanann2000"
                > > <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi i just found out that my grandmother may have
                > > come from a town
                > > or
                > > > village by a name that sounds like Estrarich in
                > > Austria. Any help
                > > > would be great. thanks Jean

                > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • Vladimir Bohinc
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 4, 2004
                  Sremska Mitrovica is located right in the middle of Srem, which is a geaographical area right west of Belgrade.
                  It never was located in Slavonia, which is another geagraphical area, more West.
                  It is located on Sava river, but not on Danube river. There is Fruska gora mountain between those two rivers. At the same distance from Belgrade, a capital of Vojvodina, Novi Sad , is located on Danube.
                  Right next to Sremska Mitrovica, on the left side, is a small town of Lacarak.
                  This is Serbia now.
                  Vladimir

> [...]

                  > > So you have not narrowed it down to a village, but
                  > > just the country.
                  > > This can still include Austria, or Austrian Galicia
                  > > which is now part
                  > > of Poland & Ukraine. By some careless uses it can
                  > > also be meant to
                  > > include Hungary or Slovakia.
                  > >
                  > > To make sure, look up Jewish gen on the web and try
                  > > their
                  > > stettleseeker, which works phonetically.
                  > >
                  > > Good luck. Do you have any other hints, or even
                  > > words that might
                  > > give us a hint as to which dialect they spoke?
                  > >
                  > > Ron
                  > >

                  > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jjeanann2000"
                  > > <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi i just found out that my grandmother may have
                  > > come from a town
                  > > or
                  > > > village by a name that sounds like Estrarich in

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  http://www.eset.sk

                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 5, 2004
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
                    wrote:
                    > Sremska Mitrovica is located right in the middle of Srem, which is a
                    geaographical area right west of Belgrade.
                    > It never was located in Slavonia, which is another geagraphical
                    area, more West.
                    > It is located on Sava river, but not on Danube river. There is
                    Fruska gora mountain between those two rivers. At the same distance
                    from Belgrade, a capital of Vojvodina, Novi Sad , is located on
                    Danube.
                    > Right next to Sremska Mitrovica, on the left side, is a small town
                    of Lacarak.
                    > This is Serbia now.
                    > Vladimir

                    Dear Vladimir,
                    mea culpa

                    prepác^te (Sk)
                    tut mir leid (G)
                    z^ao mi je (Cr)
                    z^al mi je (Sl)

                    I should have written
                    DONAUSCHWABEN TOWN NAMES LOCATED IN SYRMIA

                    i.e., Syrmisch-Mitrowitz, Mitrowitz/Sremska' Mitrovica, Mitrowica,
                    Mitrovicza/Hrvatska Mitrovica

                    History of the Region

                    " In Antiquity the municipality of Sirmium (today Syrmisch-Mitrowitz)
                    was the capital of the Roman province of Lower Pannonia.
                    This name was later to be applied to the entire surrounding region.
                    It was first settled by Germans during the Carolingian period
                    and again later under the first kings of Hungary, the Arpads.
                    The mountain range known as the Frankengebirge (or Fruska Gora)
                    recalls the Frankish title to this territory.

                    An Eastern Orthodox Metropolitan had his seat at Sremski Karlovci.
                    After 1557, the Serbian Patriarch at Pec (Ipek) had jurisdiction
                    over this.

                    After 1526, the region fell to the Ottoman Empire, many of
                    the previous inhabitants fleeing before them.

                    With the conquests by the Habsburg Empire under Emperor Leopold I,
                    the Turks were expelled in 1687. A peace treaty signed at Sremski
                    Karlovci (Karlowitz) in 1699 confirmed this.
                    The rest of Syrmia, the southeast portion, was added at the Peace of
                    Pozarevac (Passarowitz) in 1718. As the region was now significantly
                    depopulated, the Habsburg authorities encouraged emigration from
                    other parts of their Empire; thus did Syrmia become part of the
                    Danube-Swabian migration with the first German settlers going to
                    Semlin.

                    Emperor Leopold I first rewarded the Italian Odescalchi with Syrmia;
                    later it came to the Albani. Following the peace treaty of
                    Belgrade in 1739, German craftsmen and merchants settled in
                    Peterwardein (Schwabendörfel, Mayerhof), Karlowitz (Deutsche Gasse),
                    Mitrowitz and Vukovar. In 1745 the district of Syrmia
                    was established with capital at Wukowar; its first governor was Baron
                    Pejacevic (Pejatschewitsch) who in 1746 settled the first Germans on
                    his property at Ruma. In the same year 10 to 30 kilometer-wide
                    strips of formerly military territory along southern Syrmia were
                    integrated into its territory.
                    Previously this area had been directly administered by the Court
                    Chamber (Hofkammer) in Vienna. The remainder belonged to
                    various local nobles. In 1777, Friedrich Wilhelm (von) Taube, servant
                    to the Court Chamber, secretly reported on Syrmia to
                    the effect that due to the Turkish wars the land had become a
                    wilderness and that the first immigrants had fallen victim to
                    epidemics.

                    Some founding dates (according to: Günter Schödl, Land an der
                    Donau):
                    1770: Stara Pasova (founded for Protestant Slovaks)
                    1783: Neu-Slankamen (in the Military Border region, founded by
                    Germans among others)
                    1787: suburb of Semlin (like Neu-Slankamen)
                    1790: about 600 Protestant families from southwest Germany, via Ulm,
                    went to Peterwardein 1790-1820: re-establishment of German communities
                    in the Military Border region; the first was:
                    1791: Neu-Pasua (founded by 62 of the 600 families who had left from
                    Ulm in 1790); Neu Banovci saw the arrival of more Germans and was
                    almost fully German as of 1870.
                    post 1800: The daughter settlement of Sotin whose inhabitants came
                    from Neudorf, just across the Danube.
                    1817: Neudorf by Vinkovci (founded for Protestant Germans)
                    In the course of the 19th century -- in particular in the years 1820
                    to 1850 -- settlements, particularly Opatovac, Lowas,Jarmina, Berak,
                    Tompojevci, Tovarnik, Ilaca, Svinjarevci, Babska Nova and Orolik were
                    strengthened by the influx of or establishments from daughter
                    settlements in the Batschka. While this last group of settlements was
                    all Roman Catholic, 1859
                    saw the start of another influx of Evangelical Lutheran settlers, this
                    time into Sidski Banovci, Neu-Jankowzi, Beschka, Bingula,
                    Krcedin and others.

                    1867 saw the division of the the Austro-Hungarian Dual Monarchy into a
                    western, Austrian and an eastern, Hungarian half, the latter of which
                    included Syrmia. The aftermath saw a strong magyarization effort.

                    Syrmia remained in the Austrian Empire and then the Kingdom of Hungary
                    component of Austro-Hungarian Empire until the end of the First World
                    War. At this time most of Syrmia apart from the extreme eastern
                    portion joined the new nation of Yugoslavia as part of the Treaty of
                    Trianon (June 4, 1920) to become part of the Vojvodina autonomous
                    region of the Serbian Republic.
                    Administratively, it was part of the larger eastern section
                    called Danube Banschaft, with a smaller western section
                    belonging to the Save Banschaft. There was a strong slavicization
                    effort, with which the Donauschwaben in Syrmia accommodated themselves
                    well.

                    Even though the region was not absorbed back into Hungary during
                    the years 1941-44 as other neighboring regions were Syrmia was not
                    spared the cruel fate that most Donauschwaben regions experienced
                    during and following the Second World War. Following it, Syrmia was
                    again part of the Vojvodina within the Serbian part of the Yugoslavian
                    Republic. "

                    Frank K

                    Service.

                    > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.935 (20041126) __________

                    > http://www.eset.sk

                  • Vladimir Bohinc
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 5, 2004
                      Dear Frank,
                      Nista, nista. Sve je u redu.:-)
                      Vladimir

> [...]

                      War. At this time most of Syrmia apart from the extreme eastern
                      portion joined the new nation of Yugoslavia as part of the Treaty of
                      Trianon (June 4, 1920) to become part of the Vojvodina autonomous
                      region of the Serbian Republic.
                      Administratively, it was part of the larger eastern section
                      called Danube Banschaft, with a smaller western section
                      belonging to the Save Banschaft. There was a strong slavicization
                      effort, with which the Donauschwaben in Syrmia accommodated themselves
                      well.

                      Even though the region was not absorbed back into Hungary during
                      the years 1941-44 as other neighboring regions were Syrmia was not
                      spared the cruel fate that most Donauschwaben regions experienced
                      during and following the Second World War. Following it, Syrmia was
                      again part of the Vojvodina within the Serbian part of the Yugoslavian

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      http://www.eset.sk

                    • krisstrot@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 5, 2004
                        In a message dated 12/5/2004 7:59:52 AM Central Standard Time,
                        frankur@... writes:

                        >>At this time most of Syrmia apart from the extreme eastern
                        portion joined the new nation of Yugoslavia as part of the Treaty of
                        Trianon (June 4, 1920) to become part of the Vojvodina autonomous
                        region of the Serbian Republic. <<

                        Hi, Frank ... Interesting that you mention Vojvodina and Donauschwaben towns.
                        I hadn't thought to mention this part of my family history here (instead,
                        concentrating on my Grandfather's family in the Szepes area), but I guess my
                        Grandmother also qualifies for Slovak-Roots. My Grandmother (born Christina
                        Scharf) was also a German, who lived in a German town, who spoke German and
                        considered herself a German, but who happened to be a citizen of Hungary because she
                        lived in the Vojvodina area of what is now the Serbian Republic. Her town
                        was Crvenka (aka Cservenka or Tscherwenka) and she was a Donauschwaben. I have
                        had little luck finding birth, marriage and death records from this town, and
                        have come to understand they were lost after WWII. What information I have
                        been able to find (Angela Hefner at
                        http://www.genealogienetz.de/vereine/AKdFF/CDROM-e.htm) hasn't helped much (except to show her father's original ancestral
                        connection to the village at its founding in 1785). I wonder if there are
                        civil records available, and if this area is part of the 1869 Hungarian census.
                        Anyone know?
                        Kris

                      • Frank
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 7, 2004
                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, krisstrot@a... wrote:
                          > In a message dated 12/5/2004 7:59:52 AM Central Standard Time,
                          > frankur@w... writes:
                          >
                          > >>At this time most of Syrmia apart from the extreme eastern
                          > portion joined the new nation of Yugoslavia as part of the Treaty of
                          > Trianon (June 4, 1920) to become part of the Vojvodina autonomous
                          > region of the Serbian Republic. <<
                          >
                          > Hi, Frank ... Interesting that you mention Vojvodina and
                          Donauschwaben towns.
                          > I hadn't thought to mention this part of my family history here
                          (instead,
                          > concentrating on my Grandfather's family in the Szepes area), but I
                          guess my
                          > Grandmother also qualifies for Slovak-Roots. My Grandmother (born
                          Christina
                          > Scharf) was also a German, who lived in a German town, who spoke
                          German and
                          > considered herself a German, but who happened to be a citizen of
                          Hungary because she
                          > lived in the Vojvodina area of what is now the Serbian Republic.
                          Her town
                          > was Crvenka (aka Cservenka or Tscherwenka) and she was a
                          Donauschwaben. I have
                          > had little luck finding birth, marriage and death records from this
                          town, and
                          > have come to understand they were lost after WWII. What information
                          I have
                          > been able to find (Angela Hefner at
                          > http://www.genealogienetz.de/vereine/AKdFF/CDROM-e.htm) hasn't
                          helped much (except to show her father's original ancestral
                          > connection to the village at its founding in 1785). I wonder if
                          there are
                          > civil records available, and if this area is part of the 1869
                          Hungarian census.
                          > Anyone know?
                          > Kris

                          Kris

                          Only one census, Cservenka in 1828.

                          All that exists of former Yugoslavia now is Serbia and Montenegro -
                          a single republic.

                          The six republics that had formed the former Yugoslavia were : Bosnia
                          and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia, and Serbia.
                          Wars were fought in 1990s and Croatia, Slovenia, and Bosnia became
                          independent.

                          Cservenka

                          Village Names:

                          German: Tscherwenka, Rotweil
                          Official: Crvenka
                          Hungarian: Cservenka
                          Spelling and/or dialect variants: Cervenka, Rot

                          Location:

                          Country: Yugoslavia
                          near Kula (four Kulas
                          in Serbia ?)

                          Population:

                          1921: 8,851 (6,850)
                          1910: 7,674 (6,861)
                          1880: 7,025 (6,268)

                          Genealogical Records:

                          Village name in FHL records:
                          Church records available at FHL:
                          FHL Microfilm Nr.:
                          FHL Census Microfilm: Cservenka in 1828: # 622964

                          Miscellaneous:

                          Bibliography (only in German)
                          Earliest Appearance in History: 1543
                          Earliest German Settlement: 1784
                          Churches: Evangelical Lutheran/Banya diocese, Reformed/Dunamellek
                          diocese
                          District: 8 - Kula
                          Some settlers of this town continued migration eastward to Russia
                          as documented in Karl Stumpp's The Emigration from Germany to
                          Russia (AHSGR)
                          History of Cservenka (in Serbian)

                          http://solair.eunet.yu/%7Emarjanj/crvenka.html

                          Frank K
                        • Jeanann Jameson
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 24, 2004
                            hi noreen sorry this took so long to answer you but my
                            computer has been broke. i have no clues about the
                            villages my grandparents lived in other than they
                            talked about lacarak and mitchovich i'm thinking they
                            lived at one time in both villages. their parents were
                            farmers and there farms were right next to each other.
                            here in the u.s. when friends or relatives would come
                            over the adults would speek slovak so the kids
                            couldn't understand what they were speaking about but
                            normally they spoke german. my grandfather spoke seven
                            languages and my grandmother spoke 4. being on a farm
                            i have no idea why. well thanks for your help and have
                            a nice holiday. jean
                            --- nhasior@... wrote:

                            > Hi Jean,
                            > my grandmother also spoke German, Polish, Slovak and
                            > Polish. She came from
                            > what was then the Austrio-Hungarian Empire. Today,
                            > her particular village was
                            > in the Eastern part of Slovakia near the town of
                            > Poprad. it is a spa and
                            > mineral water healing area of Slovakia and the
                            > reason that so many languages were
                            > learned is that many of the townspeople worked at
                            > the spas. many people of
                            > foreign countries such as Germany, would come and
                            > stay for spa treatments for
                            > ailments.
                            > what else do you know about the place? Belgrade is
                            > very far away, but maybe
                            > this will help give you another clue as to why all
                            > the languages.
                            > Noreen

                            > removed]

                            http://my.yahoo.com
                          • johnqadam
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 24, 2004
                              Lacarak is 47.1 miles WNW of Belgrade and Sremska Mitrovica is the
                              adjacent village.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 25, 2004
                                <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
                                > hi noreen sorry this took so long to answer you but my
                                > computer has been broke. i have no clues about the
                                > villages my grandparents lived in other than they
                                > talked about lacarak and mitchovich i'm thinking they
                                > lived at one time in both villages. their parents were
                                > farmers and there farms were right next to each other.
                                > here in the u.s. when friends or relatives would come
                                > over the adults would speek slovak so the kids
                                > couldn't understand what they were speaking about but
                                > normally they spoke german. my grandfather spoke seven
                                > languages and my grandmother spoke 4. being on a farm
                                > i have no idea why. well thanks for your help and have
                                > a nice holiday. jean

                                jean wrote

                                > I have no clues about the villages my grandparents lived other than
                                > they talked about Lacark and Mitchovich

                                > the adults would speak Slovak so the kids couldn't understand what
                                > they were speaking about but normally they spoke German.

                                > my grandfather spoke seven languages and my grandmother spoke 4

                                > my grandfather was Andres Rak. I have been told they are from
                                > Austria, Czech, Poland, Yugoslavia at this point don't know
                                > some of towns my mother has mentioned are lacark, mikitovich,
                                > macvenska, and hesse

                                > My older brother says my grandfather Andras Rak is from Lacarak,
                                > Hungary and my grandmother is from Mitrovica Austria and they were
                                > only a few miles apart

                                > my great grandmother was Froni (Veronica) Stranc married Stefan
                                > Yellenburger
                                > no dates or information on either of them
                                > her children were names Annie and Magdalena. Magdalena is my
                                > grandmother who was born in 1884.
                                > My grandmother has mentioned before she died the Danube River,
                                > Sabe River, Lakarak, and a town that had two names in it something
                                > like Mitovicha-Manscha

                                Over 51 million people lived in the former Austro-Hungarian Empire.
                                The two largest ethnic groups were Germans (10 million) and Hungarians
                                (9 million). There were also Poles, Croats, Bosnians,
                                Serbians,Italians,
                                Czechs, Ruthenes, Slovenes, Slovaks and Romanians.
                                Overall, fifteen different languages were spoken in the former
                                Austro-Hungarian Empire.

                                Lacarak is located 47 miles NNW of Belgrade (Beograd) Serbia and
                                Sremska Mitrovica is an adjacent village.
                                Macvanska Mitrovica is located 45 miles NNW of Belgrade.
                                The Sava River is located close by.

                                Hesse is a region (province) located in SW Germany.
                                During WW II American troops "liberated" Hesse from the Germans.

                                Many if not all Donauschwaben (Danube Germans) had barged down
                                the Donau (Danube) River during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
                                These migrants often set out from the cities of Ulm or Günzburg,
                                Schwaben (Swabia), Germany, along the Danube River or on it via
                                the famous "Ulmer Schachtel" (Ulm Crates or barges), hence the name,
                                Donauschwaben.
                                Some migrated from modern Baden-Württemberg, Alsace, and Lorraine.
                                Others hailed from Austria and other places in the Austro-Hungarian
                                Empire. Hence germane (pertinent to the former AHE)

                                According to the Treaty of Trianon (June 4, 1920), Hungary lost
                                two-thirds of its former territory to Czechoslovakia (Slovakia,
                                Carpathian Rus'), Romania (Transylvania, * Banat), Yugoslavia
                                (Croatia, Slavonia, Syrmia, Bac^ka, western Banat), and Austria
                                (Burgenland)
                                Germans (Donauschwaben) lived in the Area of Syrmien County the
                                Batschka and the Banat. (Also Hungary)
                                Szerém (H) Syrmia (E) Syrmien (G) Srem (Cr)

                                The six republics that formed the former Yugoslavia were :
                                Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia,
                                and Serbia.

                                In 1945 the Communist Yugoslavs had expelled all the Donauschwaben
                                from the country.
                                Following the breakup of the former Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in
                                1991, Slovenija became a separate republic as did Croatia
                                (Croatia-Slavonia)
                                A war was fought in former Yugoslavia in 1990s between Croatian and
                                Serbian forces.
                                NATO and US forces had bombed Serbia.
                                Croatia , Bosnia, and Slovenia gained their independence.
                                All that remains of Yugoslavia today is Serbia and its tiny partner
                                Montenegro (Crna Gora)

                                According to online EIR.
                                In 1908 an Andreas Rak, age 28 (b. about 1880), married, German, born
                                in Lacsarak (a Hungarian spelling), had emigrated to his brother's
                                Peter Rak address in Detroit MI.
                                András (H) Andrej (Sk) Andrew (E) Andreas (G)(L)
                                Andrew had been in Detroit before and was a Non-Immigrant Alien (i.e.,
                                he hadn't settled permanently in the USA)
                                His closest next of kin was his mother Katharina Rak (assume she was
                                back in Lacarak, then still in Hungary)
                                So his wife may have resided either in Detroit or in Lacarak ?

                                Frank Kurcina
                              • nhasior@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                                  Hi Jean,
                                  according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak, exact spelling, is in Serbia.
                                  have you found Mitchovich ?
                                  Noreen

                                • johnqadam
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                                    Look at "according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak is in Serbia." and you
                                    will see "Mitchovich" next door.

                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:
                                    > Hi Jean,
                                    > according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak, exact spelling, is in Serbia.
                                    > have you found Mitchovich ?
                                    > Noreen
                                  • Jeanann Jameson
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                                      thanks for your help. happy new year jean
                                      --- johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                                      > Look at "according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak is in
                                      > Serbia." and you
                                      > will see "Mitchovich" next door.
                                      >
                                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a...
                                      > wrote:
                                      > > Hi Jean,
                                      > > according to Shtetlseeker, Lacarak, exact
                                      > spelling, is in Serbia.
                                      > > have you found Mitchovich ?
                                      > > Noreen

                                      http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
                                    • Jeanann Jameson
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                                        hi and happy new year. i believe they are close to
                                        each other but someone said there was a mountain
                                        between the two towns. i found out my grandparents
                                        lived in both towns. i still can't figure out how to
                                        spell my grandmothers last name. i have tried many
                                        variations for ellis island but can't find anything.
                                        still looking. jean

                                        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250