Prozac?

  • Rod Kratochwill
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2000
      Hi all,

      I have recently joined the list and have been lurking up till now. I am a
      newbie at genealogy and have been splitting my between time travelling the
      web looking at genealogy resources and communicating with a distantly
      related family member collecting and sharing information about our family
      ancestry.

      I am planning a trip to the Czech Republic this spring and hope to have some
      information that may make my trip more interesting. I hope to be able to
      find out more about where my father's family came from. As best I can tell
      right now my grt-grndpa, Albert, was born in Prozac Czech. Can anyone help
      me with correct spelling and any info on this town or area?

      I am a real newbie at this and feel like I am drowning in information,
      names, people, places, dates, yet at the same time have very little
      understanding as to how to put it together in a way that I can see the
      relationships between the people I have found. Any suggestions as to tools
      that might help me 'visualize' the data I am collecting? I have a copy of
      what appears to be an older software package named WinGenea but I haven't
      had time to sit down and learn it yet.

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      Rod
    • Maura Petzolt
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2000
        Hi Rod... glad you have joined us.

        Getting organized will be one of your biggest challenges, and a -must-.
        A software program of your choice is a good step, and there are many to
        choose from and many opinions about them. FTM is by far the largest, but
        is better for WIndows than Mac (as they don't update the Mac versions as
        they do the others), and you have to get all those CDs whether you want
        them or not. You can also get a version of Personal Ancestral File,
        available from the LDS church for either $15 or $30 depending on the
        version. You can download a free demo of it at the
        http://www.familysearch.org site.

        I suggest you check out some of the posts on soc.genealogy.computing
        newsgroup, or join its partner mailing list and see what others have to
        say about different programs. You'll get lots of different opinions, and
        really you need to go to the various company websites and see what each
        offers and compare them to find what is right for you. Cheaper isn't
        always necessarily better..... and the most expensive is not always the
        best!

        Also, you should hit your local Office Depot or Office Max and stock up
        on acid free page protectors, file folders (either colored or get some
        color file labels to identify your 4 main lines), looseleaf notebooks
        and sticky notes. And whenever you copy something from a microfilm or
        get some info - note the source on the page-. This is the MOST important
        thing you can do. Cite your sources!!

        Many websites such as Along those Lines by George Morgan, or Dear Myrtle
        have good hints on getting organized. You can find George Morgan off
        http://www.ancestry.com and Dear Myrtle off http://www.rootsweb.com

        Good luck to you!

        Maura

      • Joan Hendershot
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2000
          Hi Rod:

          In the Presov region I found Prosacov (Slovak) Prosaciv (Rusyn) and Porszacs
          (Hungarian) Can this be your Prozac?

          Joan
        • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12, 2000
            Hi,

            My name is Joy Wilkinson-Johnson and I have been doing genealogy (off and on)
            for nearly 24 years -- After spending a great many years collecting
            information from living relatives on their family members and anything they
            may remember about the "long past" relatives, I have just now began searching
            in what use to be Austria-Hungary. The LDS Church (The Church of Jesus
            Christ of Latter-day Saints) has a wonderful FREE Windows genealogy program
            that you can load off of the internet. Check Familysearch.com and see if it
            is located there. This will help you organize your names into families and
            also gives you areas for notes, sources, etc. This program is great and will
            help you --- also, if you have any problems or questions they have free help
            at their 800 number --- you can probably get that from Familysearch.com. As
            for areas in the old country --- I am new at this (searching the old country)
            as well and my suggestion to you would be to postpone your trip to the old
            country until you get familar with the information that you would need to
            look for while there. You may not know where to go to get the information
            considering that a great deal of records may not be where they were
            originally -- One fellow on the internet did let me know that the LDS have
            copied a great deal of records already from some of these areas try looking
            for your locsl LDS Family History Center (they are located in one of the
            Church buildings nearest you). They may have the microfilm of these areas
            and you could then ask then about what information to look for in the old
            country and where to find the information once you are there. Do that before
            you leave --- so you are more organized before you go.

            Jawjohnson16@...

            Good luck in all that you do.

            Joy Johnson
          • ellie kephart
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2000
              Rod, I Purschased the Family Tree Maker software 20 cdroms init and have found it to be useful in keeping data at my finger tips. Ellie

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2000
                Dear Rod:

                I downloaded FREE from the LDS site (given by another emailer) their PAF
                (Personal Ancestry File) program. I am not too computer literate, but I have
                found this free program very "computer friendly"...great place to start.

                Good Luck and God Bless
                Rosemary - Las Vegas
              • Gregory J. Kopchak
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 12, 2000
                  Rosemary:

                  Did you know that using GEDCOM output built into PAF you can export all your
                  data to a special shareware version Brother's Keeper that has a Slovak
                  language output. No need to rekey data.

                  Great way to send family sheets to the old country in a format they can
                  read.

                  One warning, when you switch Brother's Keeper to Slovak mode even the menus
                  go Slovak, so write down at minimum the location of the menu item that
                  switches back to English.

                  Greg Kopchak
                  http://www.iarelative.com

                  I downloaded FREE from the LDS site (given by another emailer) their PAF
                  (Personal Ancestry File) program. I am not too computer literate, but I
                  have
                  found this free program very "computer friendly"...great place to start.

                  Good Luck and God Bless
                  Rosemary - Las Vegas

                  GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
                  Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.

                • Rosamken@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 12, 2000
                    Greg...

                    Thanks for the info about Brothers Keeper and PAF. I am still trying to
                    crack the wall about my grannie...But when I do that info will be helpful.

                    God Bless
                    Rosemary - Las Vegas
                  • Helenezx@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 12, 2000
                      In a message dated 2/12/0 4:49:19 PM, elliek@... writes:

                      << rkrato@... >>

                      Hi Rob,

                      Did you locate your ancestral village ? Could it be Prosec~ - there are 4
                      listed in the Czech Super Atlas. If you have any clues e mail to me and I
                      would be glad to try to help you figure out which one is yours.

                      Your name is interesting - did you know of Kratchtoqville Castle - it's a
                      lovely place in southern Bohemia and now houses a museum of animation and
                      cartoons.

                      Helped a family find roots in Krachtoqville Moravia last summer - it's a
                      tiny village.

                      Know you will have a great visit!

                      A simple hand drawn or computer generated family tree is extremely useful
                      with names and dates because when you find family - the first names will be
                      repeated in each generation and it gets very confusing. Take several copies -
                      if computer printed, even better. - keep one to make notes on and some for
                      the family you find.

                      helene
                      helenezx@...