MAGES

  • Cletemag@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 1999
      Hi,
      The background on my research: Wenzeslaus and Barbara (WILD) MAGES emigrated
      from Oberhutten, Bohemia to Redfield, South Dakota then to New Ulm, Minnesota
      and later settled in Redwood County in Minnesota. His birthdate is 8-28-1833
      and hers 2-16-1835. They had nine or ten children. Would like to know their
      Marriage date, when and how they came to America. Only just found out the
      daughters married names. The names are: Anna Reitter, Barbara Lampler,
      Theresa Hogan, Laura Neudecker, Mary Lauden, Sophia Haas and Katherine
      Gewerth. The sons were George (my husband's grandfather) and Wenzel. Would
      like birth dates, marriage dates, names and dates of children.

      Thank you
      Jo
    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 1999
        Hi Jo,

        I can suggest two things to you, if you have not done them already.....

        1. Search the appropriate US census films for where they settled.
        Tracking them from the 1920 census backwards (much better than searching
        from a certain date forwards) is the best thing to do, start with either
        the 1920 or the last one in which they were alive. You can check the
        section on US census on my Helpful Hints page. Searching the censuses
        will give you information on children, year of naturalization and
        possible year of arrival, and with that information you can go in all
        kinds of directions....

        2. If that area of Bohemia is now in the Czech Republic, those records
        are not microfilmed. For those records you must send a request into the
        appropriate archive, which can take a long time, but if you have a date
        to start with they can find information for you. See the information on
        http://cgsi.org/archives/archive.htm

        Your other query on relatives from Germany will also need to be
        researched through the censuses.

        Hope this helps you.

        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...