Re: [S-R] Can anyone make out the handwriting on this?

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 15, 2004
      Hi Janet! Another pair of eyes can confirm/correct this:

      It says Anna was born in Palmafalva in Szepes county (today
      Harichovce just south of Levoca) on October 1, 1891, and baptized
      on the 4th. She was legitimate, female (obviously!), and her
      parents were Francis Szedlay, a carter from the local parish, and
      Maria Bendasik? Bendcsak? something like that, from Abrahamfalva
      (Abrahamovce, bordering northwest of Levoca). They were commoners
      and Roman Catholic.

      Their house was in Palmfalva, Number 1.

      Godparents were Joannes (Jan) Potenga?, and Maria Potenga?, with
      this Maria born in Leibicz (Levoca), both commoners and Roman
      Catholics. The priest who baptized her was Ignatius May....?, the
      pastor.

      This certificate was issued in Palmafalva on January 4, 1911, and
      is taken from Volume IV, Page 205, for the parish baptismal
      record book for 1891. .

      Joe A.

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I am trying to figure out exactly what my great grandmother's baptismal
      > certificate says in the hand written part. I'm assuming it's in Slovak
      > or Hungarian. I know that the typewritten certificate itself is in
      > Latin. I know some of you are very good at figuring this kind of thing
      > out, so I thought I would see if any of you could decipher the
      > handwriting for me. The picture of the document is in the photo section
      > under the McKinley folder - it's the only picture in there. If you
      > can't read it or need better resolution, let me know and I'll e-mail it
      > directly to you.
      >
      > Thanks much,
      >
      > Janet McKinley
    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2004
        While Leibitz being Lubica, near Kezmarok.
        Vladimir

        Hi Janet! Another pair of eyes can confirm/correct this:

        It says Anna was born in Palmafalva in Szepes county (today
        Harichovce just south of Levoca) on October 1, 1891, and baptized
        on the 4th. She was legitimate, female (obviously!), and her
        parents were Francis Szedlay, a carter from the local parish, and
        Maria Bendasik? Bendcsak? something like that, from Abrahamfalva
        (Abrahamovce, bordering northwest of Levoca). They were commoners
        and Roman Catholic.

        Their house was in Palmfalva, Number 1.

        Godparents were Joannes (Jan) Potenga?, and Maria Potenga?, with
        this Maria born in Leibicz (Levoca), both commoners and Roman
        Catholics. The priest who baptized her was Ignatius May....?, the
        pastor.

        This certificate was issued in Palmafalva on January 4, 1911, and
        is taken from Volume IV, Page 205, for the parish baptismal
        record book for 1891. .

        Joe A.

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am trying to figure out exactly what my great grandmother's baptismal
        > certificate says in the hand written part. I'm assuming it's in Slovak
        > or Hungarian. I know that the typewritten certificate itself is in
        > Latin. I know some of you are very good at figuring this kind of thing
        > out, so I thought I would see if any of you could decipher the
        > handwriting for me. The picture of the document is in the photo section
        > under the McKinley folder - it's the only picture in there. If you
        > can't read it or need better resolution, let me know and I'll e-mail it
        > directly to you.
        >
        > Thanks much,
        >
        > Janet McKinley

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        http://www.eset.sk

      • meg-n-andysmom@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 15, 2004
          Joe,

          Thanks for translating this. I do know that Anna's maiden name was Sedlak - or that's what I was always told. Her mothers maiden name was Bednarsik. According to Anna's obit., it says she was born in Markusovec, which is different from what you have translated. Probably something good to know in the future!

          Thanks much!

          Janet
          Hi Janet! Another pair of eyes can confirm/correct this:

          It says Anna was born in Palmafalva in Szepes county (today
          Harichovce just south of Levoca) on October 1, 1891, and baptized
          on the 4th. She was legitimate, female (obviously!), and her
          parents were Francis Szedlay, a carter from the local parish, and
          Maria Bendasik? Bendcsak? something like that, from Abrahamfalva
          (Abrahamovce, bordering northwest of Levoca). They were commoners
          and Roman Catholic.

          Their house was in Palmfalva, Number 1.

          Godparents were Joannes (Jan) Potenga?, and Maria Potenga?, with
          this Maria born in Leibicz (Levoca), both commoners and Roman
          Catholics. The priest who baptized her was Ignatius May....?, the
          pastor.

          This certificate was issued in Palmafalva on January 4, 1911, and
          is taken from Volume IV, Page 205, for the parish baptismal
          record book for 1891. .

          Joe A.

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I am trying to figure out exactly what my great grandmother's baptismal
          > certificate says in the hand written part. I'm assuming it's in Slovak
          > or Hungarian. I know that the typewritten certificate itself is in
          > Latin. I know some of you are very good at figuring this kind of thing
          > out, so I thought I would see if any of you could decipher the
          > handwriting for me. The picture of the document is in the photo section
          > under the McKinley folder - it's the only picture in there. If you
          > can't read it or need better resolution, let me know and I'll e-mail it
          > directly to you.
          >
          > Thanks much,
          >
          > Janet McKinley

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • meg-n-andysmom@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 15, 2004
            Thanks Vladimir!
            I just noticed something different from the obit. The obit says that she was born on Oct. 1, 1892, obviously the obit is wrong according to the baptismal certificate.

            Thanks! Janet
            While Leibitz being Lubica, near Kezmarok.
            Vladimir

            Hi Janet! Another pair of eyes can confirm/correct this:

            It says Anna was born in Palmafalva in Szepes county (today
            Harichovce just south of Levoca) on October 1, 1891, and baptized
            on the 4th. She was legitimate, female (obviously!), and her
            parents were Francis Szedlay, a carter from the local parish, and
            Maria Bendasik? Bendcsak? something like that, from Abrahamfalva
            (Abrahamovce, bordering northwest of Levoca). They were commoners
            and Roman Catholic.

            Their house was in Palmfalva, Number 1.

            Godparents were Joannes (Jan) Potenga?, and Maria Potenga?, with
            this Maria born in Leibicz (Levoca), both commoners and Roman
            Catholics. The priest who baptized her was Ignatius May....?, the
            pastor.

            This certificate was issued in Palmafalva on January 4, 1911, and
            is taken from Volume IV, Page 205, for the parish baptismal
            record book for 1891. .

            Joe A.

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I am trying to figure out exactly what my great grandmother's baptismal
            > certificate says in the hand written part. I'm assuming it's in Slovak
            > or Hungarian. I know that the typewritten certificate itself is in
            > Latin. I know some of you are very good at figuring this kind of thing
            > out, so I thought I would see if any of you could decipher the
            > handwriting for me. The picture of the document is in the photo section
            > under the McKinley folder - it's the only picture in there. If you
            > can't read it or need better resolution, let me know and I'll e-mail it
            > directly to you.
            >
            > Thanks much,
            >
            > Janet McKinley

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            http://www.eset.sk

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Get unlimited calls to

            U.S./Canada

          • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 16, 2004
              Thanks for the correction! Moral: never type late at night!

              Joe

              While Leibitz being Lubica, near Kezmarok.
              Vladimir

              Hi Janet! Another pair of eyes can confirm/correct this:

              It says Anna was born in Palmafalva in Szepes county (today
              Harichovce just south of Levoca) on October 1, 1891, and baptized
              on the 4th. She was legitimate, female (obviously!), and her
              parents were Francis Szedlay, a carter from the local parish, and
              Maria Bendasik? Bendcsak? something like that, from Abrahamfalva
              (Abrahamovce, bordering northwest of Levoca). They were commoners
              and Roman Catholic.

              Their house was in Palmfalva, Number 1.

              Godparents were Joannes (Jan) Potenga?, and Maria Potenga?, with
              this Maria born in Leibicz (Levoca), both commoners and Roman
              Catholics. The priest who baptized her was Ignatius May....?, the
              pastor.

              This certificate was issued in Palmafalva on January 4, 1911, and
              is taken from Volume IV, Page 205, for the parish baptismal
              record book for 1891. .

              Joe A.

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I am trying to figure out exactly what my great grandmother's
              baptismal
              > certificate says in the hand written part. I'm assuming it's in
              Slovak
              > or Hungarian. I know that the typewritten certificate itself is
              in
              > Latin. I know some of you are very good at figuring this kind of
              thing
              > out, so I thought I would see if any of you could decipher the
              > handwriting for me. The picture of the document is in the photo
              section
              > under the McKinley folder - it's the only picture in there. If
              you
              > can't read it or need better resolution, let me know and I'll
              e-mail it
              > directly to you.
              >
              > Thanks much,
              >
              > Janet McKinley

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Service.

              http://www.eset.sk

            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 16, 2004
                Dear Joe,
                Oh yes, I am not immune to that too :-)
                I never take it personal. To me the only importance is, that the folks get on the right trace.
                Best regards,
                Vladimir

                Thanks for the correction! Moral: never type late at night!

                Joe

                While Leibitz being Lubica, near Kezmarok.
                Vladimir

                Hi Janet! Another pair of eyes can confirm/correct this:

                It says Anna was born in Palmafalva in Szepes county (today
                Harichovce just south of Levoca) on October 1, 1891, and baptized
                on the 4th. She was legitimate, female (obviously!), and her
                parents were Francis Szedlay, a carter from the local parish, and
                Maria Bendasik? Bendcsak? something like that, from Abrahamfalva
                (Abrahamovce, bordering northwest of Levoca). They were commoners
                and Roman Catholic.

                Their house was in Palmfalva, Number 1.

                Godparents were Joannes (Jan) Potenga?, and Maria Potenga?, with
                this Maria born in Leibicz (Levoca), both commoners and Roman
                Catholics. The priest who baptized her was Ignatius May....?, the
                pastor.

                This certificate was issued in Palmafalva on January 4, 1911, and
                is taken from Volume IV, Page 205, for the parish baptismal
                record book for 1891. .

                Joe A.

                > Hi all,
                >
                > I am trying to figure out exactly what my great grandmother's
                baptismal
                > certificate says in the hand written part. I'm assuming it's in
                Slovak
                > or Hungarian. I know that the typewritten certificate itself is
                in
                > Latin. I know some of you are very good at figuring this kind of
                thing
                > out, so I thought I would see if any of you could decipher the
                > handwriting for me. The picture of the document is in the photo
                section
                > under the McKinley folder - it's the only picture in there. If
                you
                > can't read it or need better resolution, let me know and I'll
                e-mail it
                > directly to you.
                >
                > Thanks much,
                >
                > Janet McKinley