Opals

  • Amanda Lovitt
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2004
      Thanks for the information about Hungarian opals and Slovak opals. I had no
      idea they were mined there as well.

      I'm used to Australian opals which come from Cooper Pedy
      http://www.opalcapitaloftheworld.com.au/ . This place is so hot, people
      actually live under the ground. It's a desolate and isolated place - and
      that's coming from someone who lives in Kalgoorlie for heavens' sake. Don't
      forget, I live 600 kilometres east from the most isolated capital city in
      the world, so if I thnk Cooper Pedy is in the middle of nowhere - well, you
      get the picture.

      Amanda
      Boulder
      Western Australia
    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2004
        At 11:59 AM 15/11/2004, you wrote:

        >Thanks for the information about Hungarian opals and Slovak opals. I had no
        >idea they were mined there as well.
        >
        >I'm used to Australian opals which come from Cooper Pedy
        >http://www.opalcapitaloftheworld.com.au/ . This place is so hot, people
        >actually live under the ground. It's a desolate and isolated place - and
        >that's coming from someone who lives in Kalgoorlie for heavens' sake. Don't
        >forget, I live 600 kilometres east from the most isolated capital city in
        >the world, so if I thnk Cooper Pedy is in the middle of nowhere - well, you
        >get the picture.
        >

        >Amanda
        >Boulder
        >Western Australia

        Opals also mined in a big way in Andamooka, about as isolated as Coober Pedy.

        http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/SAAndamooka.shtml

        Nick
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2004
          Your Australian opals are beautiful and intense in color but different from
          the Old World type (which by the way come from various countries). I prefer
          the old-fashioned white opal with its fiery points of salmon pink, gold,
          spring green, violet, and aqua, the Hungarian type. Some have an orange red
          point too. A good opal seems to be alive.

          Did you know that the opal is a gel? It's basically a silicate, like an
          agate, with free water stuffed inside. That's what makes the points of
          color and fire.

          Opals are delicate and can crack in cold weather. They are hard to maintain
          as stones in rings (I have lost a couple that cracked merely from pulling on
          a glove).

          There are photos on line of the old Dubnik opal mine, which was first
          operated by the Romans.

          Maybe people should look for more opal deposits. Eastern Slovakia can use
          the industry. The area today is tragically depopulated and impoverished.

          It's quite a fascinating neighborhood for a rock hound, though, what with
          that strange cold-water geyser at Herlany. Old gold mines in the region
          also.

          I love finding photographs of the region because it is not one of the
          tourist destination areas so you don't get many views in literature or on
          line.

        • nhasior@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
            Amanda,
            what do people do for a living on your side of Australia? is it a farming
            community? any shopping centers? cities?
            when we first moved to this area in upstate New York, I could walk around the
            lake with my children and never have a car pass us. now, it is so
            overdeveloped that there is no place to park.
            Noreen

          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
              At 06:49 PM 15/11/2004, you wrote:

              >Amanda,
              >what do people do for a living on your side of Australia? is it a farming
              >community? any shopping centers? cities?
              >when we first moved to this area in upstate New York, I could walk around the
              >lake with my children and never have a car pass us. now, it is so
              >overdeveloped that there is no place to park.
              >Noreen

              I thought I would answer this one. Western Australia is huge it is
              2.5million square kilometers in size
              I think it is about 1/3 of the total land area which means it is about 1/3
              of the size of the United States.

              So the answer to the question what do people do is everything you do
              anywhere in the world, there is just far less people only about two million
              in the state. there is lots of empty space like natural bushland ,deserts
              etc. The capital city is Perth it has half the total population of the state.

              Kalgoorlie where Amanda lives is mainly a gold mining city, it is actually
              two cities side by side Kalgoorlie and Boulder. They have all the
              associated infrastructure that all cities have, the major difference is
              that their water supply comes from Perth by a pipeline 350miles long this
              was finished 1903 and was one of the engineering wonders of the world. The
              engineer that accomplished this was so plagued by critics and his own self
              doubts that he suicided without seeing if it worked.

              There is a wide difference in climate from north to south from tropical to
              Mediterranean. have a look at the following information sites.

              http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/as.html

              http://www.west-oz.com/Aboutwa/aboutwa.asp

              if there is anything else you want to know fire away

              Nick
            • Amanda Lovitt
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
                Hi Noreen (and Nick)

                I'm glad Nick answered the complexities of that question. He was a public
                servant longer than me, so far better educated - note I didn't mention
                OLDER. I was being kind.

                Where I live Noreen, it's mainly a mining town - gold and nickel. We have
                the biggest open cut gold mine which you can see at www.superpit.com.au and
                if you browse through the community reference group you'll find me - photo
                and all!

                We have 11 primary (elementary) schools, and now 3 high schools plus a
                branch of a university including the world renowned WA School of Mines.
                We're 110 years old as a city made of the twin towns of Boulder and
                Kalgoorlie. Boulder takes its name from Boulder in Colorado and the Great
                Boulder Mines that started here. We have about 33000 people, and pretty
                much everything you need - except a coastline.

                Nick mentioned our pipeline, it is an incredible feat of engineering, and we
                really do appreciate it being there. None of us could live here without it.
                http://www.goldenpipeline.com.au/00/ is a good site relating to it.

                When we went to Slovakia in 2001, we went to Banska Stiavnica and saw the
                School of Mines there. My husband thought he could comfortably go and work
                there at some time. Having had our kids young, we may just do that one
                day - go and live in Slovakia and he can teach mining methods.

                Thankfully, even though he's English and grown up in Australia, he loves
                Slovakia.

                Amanda
              • Nick Holcz
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 16, 2004
                  At 02:11 PM 16/11/2004, you wrote:

                  >Hi Noreen (and Nick)
                  >

                  >I'm glad Nick answered the complexities of that question. He was a public
                  >servant longer than me, so far better educated - note I didn't mention
                  >OLDER. I was being kind.

                  Amanda, thanks for your kindness. Better educated Oh sure I just googled
                  for the information. I only know how far it is to Kalgoorlie because I
                  lived there for three years .

                  What do they say, too soon old and too late smart.

                  Nick