Maly Folkmar

  • kathiraisa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2004
      Dear List

      Could any one tell me something about Maly Folkmar? Former name was Kis
      Folkmar. As I could not find anything on this village, and as it is not in the
      Podrobny AutoAtlas, and as only map quest shows it near where Kassa
      Hamor/Kosicke Hamre used to be, I am assuming that it might have had the same fate as
      Kassa Hamor/Kosicke Hamre? Meaning... it is under water?

      Would any one be able to tell me how I can get details on these villages
      (Koscike Hamre and Maly Folkmar) before the Ruzin dam? Size of population,
      livelyhood, where was the remaining population moved to, etc, etc.

      Thank you.
      Kathi-Raisa Petrick

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2004
        From 1907-1913 the village was called Kissolymar.
        It appears that in 1944 the village merged with Kosice Hamre, and the
        subsqently merged in 1967 to become KOSICKA BELA. The village of Ruzin also
        merged into the entity in 1969. I would suggest looking for a history of
        Kosicka Bela for further information.

        In 1910 the village had 187 souls: 6 Magyar, 19 German, 162 Slovak; 171
        Roman Catholic, 3 Greek Catholic, 13 Evangelical. Source: Magyarorszag
        Kozigazgatasi Atlasza 1914.

        A 1910 Map of the region can be found at:
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm
        Look for the Abov/Spis county map. It uses magyar names. Compare this
        against Podrobny and you should be able to sort out if it is underwater
        today.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2004
          looking at both
          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg and
          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/abauj-t.jpg
          comparing to Podrobny map, it sure does appear that it may be underwater
          today as a result of the hydroelectric dam.
          Bill