Message 4 Family History - Genealogy - Perich (Pirics) et al

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2000
      Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvid�k) and
      part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

      Ungvarska is grammatical locative case for Ungv�r (H)
      Uz^gorod, now located in the Ukraine just over the eastern
      Slovakia border.

      You probably mean Carpatho-Rusyns, i.e. Ruthenians.
      Fedorko looks like a Rusnak surname.
      Surname probably practiced the G.C. religion ?

      Ungv�r was formerly in the old Hungarian Ung Megye (county)

      Lackovce is located at Humenn� (Sv) Homonna (H) and 228 miles ENE
      of Bratislava in eastern Slovakia.
      Formerly located in the old Hungarian Zempl�n Megye (county)

      Hungarians had a surname ending -ics which was not native to Hungarian
      but a phonetic adaptation i.e. written -ics pron. ick.

      This was akin to South Slavic -ic'/-vic', -ovic' pron. ovich, meaning
      'son of'.
      Similar to Polish -owicz or -owycz.
      This special ending also has the same meaning in Russian.

      So Pirics is pron. Perich

      The LDS-Mormons have filmed the parish church registers for Humenn�
      (including Lackovce)
      R.C. 1802-1895
      G.C. 1768-1907
      You should be able to research your g GF surnames through local LDS
      FHC.
    • GoSlovakia@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2000
        Where is Sobrance?
        George
      • Helenezx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2000
          In a message dated 2/10/0 5:22:18 PM, GoSlovakia@... writes:

          << Where is Sobrance >>

          Sobrance is at the far Eastern tip of Slovakia near the border with Ukraine

          On the map find Michalovce in eastern Slovakia and then go about 20 km east
          to Sobrance and then another 20 km to the Slovak/Ukraine border - the city of
          Uz~horod is just over the border.

          helene
        • GoSlovakia@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2000