Re: [S-R] Orphanages

  • Amanda Lovitt
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2004
      Hi

      The strong following of Catholic rules has something to do with these
      unwanted pregnancies. My cousin had her first child this year at the age of
      20, and it was definitely unplanned and unwanted by her family. The parents
      had a huge reaction to the news, put the poor thing through the wringer and
      then after the birth supported her. Another family member's opinion was "If
      her father had let her take the pill, then he wouldn't be able to complain
      about the unwanted grandchild now". Valid point, which is the lesser of two
      complaints a parent can have of a 20 year old girl. 1) She is having sex,
      and taking contraception which goes against the rules of the faith. Or, 2)
      She has had an illegitimate child, we now need to support her and it is a
      strain on the entire family. When I spoke to her grandfather on the other
      hand, I put it to him another way. He technically should never have become
      a father, having survived a concentration camp, and a death sentence; so
      therefore, becoming a father twice, and a grandfather twice made him
      extremely blessed and honoured. One way or another, this little man who
      came into our lives in February is the first great-grandchild for the
      amazing woman that we are proud in our family to call Mum and Grandmother.
      I put it to my uncle "How can this ever be bad? This is Baba's first
      great-great-grandchild, and your great-grandchild." He then put it to his
      son to support this girl, and now refers to his great-grandchild as "a
      pleasant young man (9 months old) who seems to enjoy being in our presence
      as much as we enjoy being in his".

      Things can and do change - it just takes time.

      Amanda