Re:Marriage records of Humenne

  • sunysa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2004
      Hello list!

      In a recent trip to Salt Lake City, I found that the marriage records of
      Humenne, SK seemed to be missing from 1815-1843. In checking an inventory of the
      Presov Archives, it seems that they do exist, but I do not find them in the
      Family History Library Catalog. The librarian on duty at the time thought that
      the only solution was to write to the archives, but I feel that since they
      have already been there to film the births and deaths, they probably have filmed
      the marriages, too.

      Does anyone know where I can check to see if the LDS has filmed these records
      (since they don't appear to be in the FHLC), or who I can contact about the
      status of filming in this area?

      Any help in resolving this problem would be appreciated.

      Sincerely,

      Paul Horvat

    • James McGrath
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2004
        I am not entirely sure whether this is a specifically
        Slovak question or not, but finding out the answer to
        that question is precisely the point! I have just been
        sent a treasure trove of old family photos and
        documents, which includes one of a child. There is no
        name on the photo, but I think I know who it is based
        on the resemblance to one of my ancestors as an adult.
        I do not want to provide more information at this
        stage so as not to prejudge things or influence
        anyone. If any of you have time to take a look at the
        photo, it can be seen at
        http://blue.butler.edu/~jfmcgrat/genealogy/photos.htm.
        If, having seen it, you think you can tell things
        about the person or family's social status and ethnic
        or regional origins, I'd be extremely grateful.

        Also included in this family history treasure trove
        was a printed funeral announcement in German from
        Kaschau/Kosice in 1895. Is it safe to assume that
        ordinary folk did not (or could not afford to) have
        printed funeral announcements professionally made in
        this time period? Again, any thoughts you might have
        would be most welcome.

        Thank you for your help!

        James McGrath

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2004
          I can only comment generally.
          First, based on the quality, preservation and technical style of photo, I would suspect it is from the very late 1800s or early 1900s, perhaps as late as the 20's.

          You didn't say where the photo was taken, so I offer two opinions:

          1. Based on what little I see here, this young lady is pretty well off compared to the majority population, if this photo was taken in Europe. This is based on the cost of photography, clothing (looks velour) and curled hair(quite an effort!) More likely than not, from a city or a very large town (this clothing looks tailored and the photo is professional.) Studio photography was relatively expensive. Highly unlikely she was from a small farmer/peasant village.

          I don't know what that white thing is, (looks like a sling, but I know it's not), since I cannot see her left arm.

          2. In America, immigrants could and did save money to buy better pre-made, tailored, clothing, even if only one set. However, in most cases, photos of this era were limited to either a special occassion (religious ceremony) or a family photograph. It was only after the family had been established in America for perhaps 10+ years that they could/would afford to do single portraits. If this is the case, then it's quite possible the girl's family was either becoming upwardly middle class or well-to-do-already!

          I don't think you can read anything into the religion. Perhaps others can comment on the clothing, I cannot. Clothing might be the only hint at ethnicity.

          bt

          > From: James McGrath <jamesfrankmcgrath@...>
          > Date: 2004/11/08 Mon AM 10:06:20 EST
          > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [S-R] Photo help
          >

          > I am not entirely sure whether this is a specifically
          > Slovak question or not, but finding out the answer to
          > that question is precisely the point! I have just been
          > sent a treasure trove of old family photos and
          > documents, which includes one of a child. There is no
          > name on the photo, but I think I know who it is based
          > on the resemblance to one of my ancestors as an adult.
          > I do not want to provide more information at this
          > stage so as not to prejudge things or influence
          > anyone. If any of you have time to take a look at the
          > photo, it can be seen at
          > http://blue.butler.edu/~jfmcgrat/genealogy/photos.htm.
          > If, having seen it, you think you can tell things
          > about the person or family's social status and ethnic
          > or regional origins, I'd be extremely grateful.
          >
          > Also included in this family history treasure trove
          > was a printed funeral announcement in German from
          > Kaschau/Kosice in 1895. Is it safe to assume that
          > ordinary folk did not (or could not afford to) have
          > printed funeral announcements professionally made in
          > this time period? Again, any thoughts you might have
          > would be most welcome.
          >
          > Thank you for your help!
          >
          > James McGrath

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2004
            >>I found that the marriage records of Humenne, SK seemed to be
            missing from 1815-1843. In checking an inventory of the Presov
            Archives, it seems that they do exist . . .<<

            GC Sobášení 1814-1847 FHL INTL Film 1792088
            RC info is missing in the film list 1815-1843, as you have found.

            Presov archives? LDS says that "Pôvodné dokumenty boli mikrofilmované
            v Štátnom oblastnom archíve v Levoèi." How could the Presov archive
            have the marriage records? The indicated archive is Levoc'a.

            It would seem that the 1815-1843 Humenne marriage register has gone
            missing.

            There may be a bishop's copy somewhere else. Mick Sura found a
            missing Dubravka, Zemplen Megye, church book for me in
            Satoraljaujhely, Hungary. Some Ung Megye records are in Satu Mare
            Romania, others in Uzhorod, Ukraine.