Re: [S-R] Searching 1869 Census

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
      Dear Bill,
      Every archive charges by the hour and their fees are comaparable to those of the researchers.
      Typically, a research done by the archive is short and narrow in scope.
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
        Dear Bill,
        I just called the archive in Kosice just to shorten the pain :-)
        Mormons did film the Torna County 1869, but not Abov County for the simple reason, there are no sheets.
        All villages frpm Csakany to Herlen are in Abov County and there is no 1869 census.
        However, there is one from 1857, which has not been filmed by the Mormons, and is available at the archive in Kosice.
        Generally it is so, that from each County, that has been filmed, there are some villages missing.
        I was researching 1869 Census for Nitra county lately and there is a list of villages,included on a particular film. But, when you get there, there is a Note "Not preserved", so, zero.
        Best regards,
        Vladimir

        If you do not care to wait for the LDS to release these census records (you
        wait could be a decade or longer), you may want to consider hiring a
        researcher to visit the Slovak Republic archives and extract the records for
        you. Alternately, you could visit the Slovak Republic archives yoursef.
        bt

        When will the last part of the alphabet be completed?
        Will there be listings of EVERY househould?
        Can we search by NAME without knowing the cities?
        THis would be amazing if we can search names only......

        LEt us know!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

        http://www.eset.sk

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
          You know, the longer I do this, the more inclined I am to recommend a professional for the same reason Vladimir suggests. Not for the easy stuff, ("cherry picking at the FHL" I call it), but when you have to go hunting like this.

          It's difficult to say what you'll get from the Archives. There's a greater chance for miscommunication and long delays, especially since it's by mail. No chance for closed-loop conversations, to ensure you are getting the correct family information and that English-Slovak-English conversations are understood correctly.

          Especially since the cost will end up being roughly the same, I vote for the pro. I have no vested interest in recommending the pro, so if you're up for the challenge, go for it!

          Bill