RE: [S-R] Searching 1869 Census

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
      If you do not care to wait for the LDS to release these census records (you
      wait could be a decade or longer), you may want to consider hiring a
      researcher to visit the Slovak Republic archives and extract the records for
      you. Alternately, you could visit the Slovak Republic archives yoursef.
      bt

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
        You can also write directly to the Slovak Archives in Bratislava. They
        will forward the request to the appropriate Archive. There is a form
        letter on the Slovak Embassy website which you can use. You can also
        specify a dollar limit to keep the costs down. If the initial search
        provides further leads, you can request additional searches with another
        dollar limit. I would suggest an initial dollar amount of $100. The
        search will take some time and you will be notified when it is completed.
        After you forward a bank check for the amount requested, they will then
        forward the information. It will be in Slovak. All told, figure on
        about 4 to 6 months to get the information requested. This approach is
        considerably less expensive than hiring a researcher who will charge by
        the hour.

        Bill Brna

        On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 06:04:17 -0500 "Bill Tarkulich"
        <bill.tarkulich@...> writes:

        > If you do not care to wait for the LDS to release these census
        > records (you
        > wait could be a decade or longer), you may want to consider hiring
        > researcher to visit the Slovak Republic archives and extract the
        > records for
        > you. Alternately, you could visit the Slovak Republic archives
        > yoursef.
        > bt

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
          Dear Bill,
          Every archive charges by the hour and their fees are comaparable to those of the researchers.
          Typically, a research done by the archive is short and narrow in scope.
          Vladimir

          <bill.tarkulich@...> writes:

          > If you do not care to wait for the LDS to release these census
          > records (you
          > wait could be a decade or longer), you may want to consider hiring
          > researcher to visit the Slovak Republic archives and extract the
          > records for
          > you. Alternately, you could visit the Slovak Republic archives
          > yoursef.
          > bt

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          http://www.eset.sk

        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
            Dear Bill,
            I just called the archive in Kosice just to shorten the pain :-)
            Mormons did film the Torna County 1869, but not Abov County for the simple reason, there are no sheets.
            All villages frpm Csakany to Herlen are in Abov County and there is no 1869 census.
            However, there is one from 1857, which has not been filmed by the Mormons, and is available at the archive in Kosice.
            Generally it is so, that from each County, that has been filmed, there are some villages missing.
            I was researching 1869 Census for Nitra county lately and there is a list of villages,included on a particular film. But, when you get there, there is a Note "Not preserved", so, zero.
            Best regards,
            Vladimir

            When will the last part of the alphabet be completed?
            Will there be listings of EVERY househould?
            Can we search by NAME without knowing the cities?
            THis would be amazing if we can search names only......

            LEt us know!

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Get unlimited calls to

            U.S./Canada

            http://www.eset.sk

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
              You know, the longer I do this, the more inclined I am to recommend a professional for the same reason Vladimir suggests. Not for the easy stuff, ("cherry picking at the FHL" I call it), but when you have to go hunting like this.

              It's difficult to say what you'll get from the Archives. There's a greater chance for miscommunication and long delays, especially since it's by mail. No chance for closed-loop conversations, to ensure you are getting the correct family information and that English-Slovak-English conversations are understood correctly.

              Especially since the cost will end up being roughly the same, I vote for the pro. I have no vested interest in recommending the pro, so if you're up for the challenge, go for it!

              Bill