Re: [S-R] 1869 Census

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 7, 2004
      I searched the FHC for the whole county of Abauj-Torna. There are only 60
      localities. The villages and towns missing include (Magyar names) Csakany,
      Rank, Batyok, Also- and Felso-Kemencze, Bolyar, Tizsite, Herlen. They seem
      to be missing from your list also. These localities are in the northern
      part of Abauj-Torna, east of Kos~ice.

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 7, 2004
        You are right on the mark. There is no way A-T county can be complete.
        bt

        > Yes, according to my work A-T should be complete.
        > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_Census_at_LDS.htm
        > You do know that you can't use the FHL search facility to find the
        > villages, correct? I created a cross-reference specifically due to
        > this problem:
        > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_census_fhl_holdings_by_magy.htm
        > What village names are you searching for?
        >
        > BT

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 19, 2006
          A couple of more things about the census:
          - do check, whether the wife also has her maiden name. Sometimes it does. This could lead you to more related families.
          - do check literacy at the far right end; this will give you the answer to the former discussion about literacy in former Hungary.
          - sometimes there are more than one familiy on one house number. Do not skip them.
          - you can safely assume, that families living next to each other and having same surname are related.
          - you might run into reading problems with the column " place of birth". Copy such a page and we shall read it.
          - having found the wanted family, recheck the address at the top of the first page. This might contain a local name for the location.
          - sometimes, there is no year of birth; this means this person, usually a child, is absent. For such a person, there is a remark on the right side, as to it's whereabouts. Copy that too. Very important.
          - sometimes there are some funny words with some children or persons listed under the head of the family. Copy that. They usually are relatives or at least a mother-in- law:-)
          I am preparing a full translation of the 1869 Census for the CGSI Nase Rodina magazine, which will be published this year.
          Vladimir Bohinc

          PS
          People with lower house numbers were living closer to the church or center of the village and may have had a higher social rank in local terms. People living in highest house numbers were living at the ouskirts and were often newcomers, or Gypsies.
          If you will find a house number with many rooms and several families, this might have been a dwelling house for the workers on a large estate of the Landlord or better say owner, or some factory or mill. Such people usually were born in far away places. Also very interesting.
          All this speaks for checking all houses. If it is three films, you will need a week.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 20, 2006
            Though I am not as experienced a researcher as our friend Vladimir
            is, I CAN echo what he's said.

            Another thing I've found: When researching, do NOT limit yourself to
            just the village where your immigrant grandparents were born, either
            in looking at the 1869 Census OR the church records. Had I limited
            myself to the one little village where my father's parents (my
            paternal grandparents) were born -- AFTER 1869! -- I'd have missed
            out on information on my great-grandparents' extended families. Take
            a copy of the map of your ancestors' village and surrounding area
            with you, and look at the census info for the villages adjacent to
            that of your ancestors. You may be pleasantly surprised to find --
            as I was! -- extended family in an adjacent village. And if you find
            quite of few names from your "tree" in that "adjacent village", IT
            may have been the original village of your ancestors.

            On the census films I have also found a few cases where 2 families of
            different religions were living in one house. (Whether one family
            worked as servants to the other, I'm not sure.) Just because your
            grandparents were Greek Catholic doesn't mean one of your great-
            grandparents wasn't Roman Catholic (or of another religion), so
            there's another reason to check not only other villages but listings
            for those of other religions as well.

            Perhaps this is just my own personal experience while researching,
            but we're on these forums to share what we've learned in order to
            help others -- as we've been helped by other forum members. (It's
            that "pay-it-forward" thing!)

            Happy digging for those "roots"!

            MARIANNE
          • MEMcDTT@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 30, 2006
              In a message dated 1/19/2006 11:10:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              konekta@... writes:

              I am preparing a full translation of the 1869 Census for the CGSI Nase
              Rodina magazine, which will be published this year.
              Vladimir Bohinc

              Vladimir,
              Will you keep us posted on the issue date of Nase Rodina?
              I am a member, but some of us might not be and will need a copy!
              Thanks,
              Mike McDermott, San Jose, CA
              Still researching Billy and Medvetz from Slovakia

            • Tom Potsko
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 30, 2006
                Is Nase Rodina published in English?

                On 1/30/06, MEMcDTT@... <MEMcDTT@...> wrote:

                > In a message dated 1/19/2006 11:10:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                > konekta@... writes:
                >
                > I am preparing a full translation of the 1869 Census for the CGSI Nase
                > Rodina magazine, which will be published this year.
                > Vladimir Bohinc
                >

                > Vladimir,
                > Will you keep us posted on the issue date of Nase Rodina?
                > I am a member, but some of us might not be and will need a copy!
                > Thanks,
                > Mike McDermott, San Jose, CA
                > Still researching Billy and Medvetz from Slovakia

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 30, 2006
                  > I am preparing a full translation of the 1869 Census for the CGSI
                  Nase Rodina magazine, which will be published this year.
                  > Vladimir Bohinc

                  I assume that you mean the census headers.
                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 30, 2006
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...> wrote:

                    > Is Nase Rodina published in English?

                    Yes it is.
                  • Vladimir Bohinc
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 30, 2006
                      Yes, yes.That's what I mean.
                      Vladimir

                      > I am preparing a full translation of the 1869 Census for the CGSI
                      Nase Rodina magazine, which will be published this year.
                      > Vladimir Bohinc

                      I assume that you mean the census headers.

                      http://www.eset.sk

                    • johnqadam
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 30, 2006
                        >>> I am preparing a full translation of the 1869 Census for the CGSI
                        Nase Rodina magazine, which will be published this year.
                        Vladimir Bohinc <<<

                        Check Bill Tarkulich's web site. You may be able to save yourself a
                        lot of work.

                        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 30, 2006
                          I'll bet Vladimir had already done this many years before me.
                          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm#1869Census
                          bt

                          --
                          Bill Tarkulich