Good book

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
      I am reading a book called _Czechoslovakia: A Critical History_ by Kurt Glaser, written in 1961. He has a very interesting slant on the formation of the country and reasons for subsequent events. It's written from a surprisingly pro-Slovak point of view. I say that because so much literature assumes that Czechoslovak means only Czech, as the politicians intended...

      The book explains why some Slovaks chose to emigrate after World War I -- I suspect a lot more might have come over here in the 1920's, but that the immigration policy over here was tightened up after the War. Can someone confirm that?

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
        In the 1920's immigration quotas were severely restricted in the US, for
        just about all nationalities. It was a reflection of popular anti-immigrant
        feels in the nation.

        I am reading a book called _Czechoslovakia: A Critical History_ by Kurt
        Glaser, written in 1961. He has a very interesting slant on the formation
        of the country and reasons for subsequent events. It's written from a
        surprisingly pro-Slovak point of view. I say that because so much
        literature assumes that Czechoslovak means only Czech, as the politicians
        intended...

        The book explains why some Slovaks chose to emigrate after World War I -- I
        suspect a lot more might have come over here in the 1920's, but that the
        immigration policy over here was tightened up after the War. Can someone
        confirm that?

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
          That's what I thought. I wonder if Slovaks continued to emigrate at the
          pre-War rate, and if so, to which destinations other than the U.S.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
            cited include Canada, France and Argentina. I have no emigration numbers
            for these destinations.
            bt

            That's what I thought. I wonder if Slovaks continued to emigrate at the
            pre-War rate, and if so, to which destinations other than the U.S.

            > In the 1920's immigration quotas were severely restricted in the US,
            > for just about all nationalities. It was a reflection of popular
            anti-immigrant
            > feels in the nation.

            Yahoo! Groups Links