Re: [S-R] Fabry & Baran

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2004
      I have Fabry connections if someone is looking. My father's aunt Barbara
      Vangor married a John Fabri
      from southern Slovakia around 1905. The spelling was changed to Fabry for
      some reason. They met in the Bridgeport CT area. I can find the name of
      his village if asked -- at the time I was trying to get the records it had
      not yet been filmed by the FHC. I spoke to my Dad's cousin, the only
      surviving child of the couple, in recent years and learned a lot of family
      history from him before he died. Someone told me that the surname Fabri was
      originally Italian -- all the corners of Europe crossed in Slovakia!

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2004
        I would appreciate any information that you can give
        me. I know my great grandparents immigrated much
        earlier, but one never knows about these connections.

        In the earlier years - the name is spelled Fabry - but
        today we spell it Fabery. I was given a story by a
        distant cousin about her father and his siblings being
        refused at school because they didn't speak English.
        I was thinking that is when the e was added to the
        name because that next generation - the name is
        spelled Fabery.

        Cindy Cooney

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2004
          Hi, Cindy. Here's my suggestion on how to approach this. There were more
          than one family named Fabri/Fabry in Slovakia, so the first thing to do is
          find out the places of origin. I can rummage around and find this for
          Joseph Fabri. Did you discover the town of origin for your people?

          I think a lot of names were re-spelled due to entries in city directories --
          this happened in my family.

          Cheers, Andrea

        • historytracker@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
            No I don't know where the town where the are from.
            Just two years ago the family didn't even know the
            country where they immigrated from. My new research
            suspects northern Hungary.

            I am starting to research other Fabry's in
            southwestern PA to see if their naturalization papers
            state so. This is why I joined the group to see if
            there were any other places I should be looking - and
            I have learned the LDS.

            The search goes on and I will be looking later this
            year.

            Cindy

            --- Andrea Vangor <drav@...> wrote:

            > Hi, Cindy. Here's my suggestion on how to approach
            > this. There were more
            > than one family named Fabri/Fabry in Slovakia, so
            > the first thing to do is
            > find out the places of origin. I can rummage around
            > and find this for
            > Joseph Fabri. Did you discover the town of origin
            > for your people?
            >
            > I think a lot of names were re-spelled due to
            > entries in city directories --
            > this happened in my family.
            >
            > Cheers, Andrea

            === message truncated ===

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
              Good place to start: the census records for 1930, 1920, 1910. You can get
              some idea of their immigration year.

            • historytracker@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 11, 2004
                The problem with the year of immigration found on the
                the census is inconsistency. The best I can target is
                1884-1889 and that is an incredible amount of ship's
                passenger list to go through. I almost wish I had a
                microfilm reader in my home and ordered the tapes upon
                my convenience. Then I would be more in tuned to
                doing it versus going into NY.

                I just requested a social security application on a
                Fabry in the next town from my great grandparents. He
                lived to nearly 100 years old. We have several people
                in the family that live well into their 90's. Gee
                could this be a genetic clue.

                Cindy
                --- Andrea Vangor <drav@...> wrote:

                > Good place to start: the census records for 1930,
                > 1920, 1910. You can get
                > some idea of their immigration year.

                === message truncated ===

                Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                www.yahoo.com
              • Vladimir Bohinc
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 11, 2004
                  Dear Cindy,
                  Look what I have in my data base:
                  Marriage 10.1.1768 in Pezinok
                  Andrej Krasnansky and Maria Baran

                  Marriage 26.11.1840 in Myslenice
                  Jakob Krasnansky and Maria Fabry

                  Pezinok and Myslenice are next to each other.
                  Best regards,
                  Vladimir