  • Kris
    Message 1 of 52 , Nov 5 10:50 AM
      My name is Kris and I live in Texas. I am 54 years old
      and "digging up the past!"
      I signed up a week or so ago and have been reading the very helpful
      messages posted here. I am researching MY Slovak Roots in
      Neuwalddorf (aka Nova Lesna, Uj. Lesna, Also Erdöfalva). The
      recent post about place names made me smile, knowing full well how
      one village may have many different names. I am lucky that I know
      the village. My grandfather was Samuel Hunsdorfer, born in
      Neuwalddorf 1 March 1886. His brother was Johann, born 1975 in
      Großschlagendorf (aka N. Szalok, Nagy Szalok). His sister Susanna
      was born 14 June 1883. Samuel came to USA in 1903. Johann also came
      in 1903 but went back in 1911. Susanna came also, but went back
      around 1910. Samuel stayed in USA (Philadelphia, and later
      Detroit). I know the spouses names and the children, their spouses,
      and so forth DOWNWARD to current days, but I don't know anything
      other than my grandfather's parents: Father - Johann Hunsdorfer;
      Mother - Maria Susanna Breyer. It is very confusing to have so many
      Johann's and Susanna's, especially since Susanna Hunsdorfer married a
      man named Johann Breyer, and Johann Hunsdorfer (Jr.) married a woman
      named Susanna Loisch! Both Johann Hunsdorfer Jr. and Sr. were
      mountain climbers and guides. Hunsdorfer Spitze (now called
      Huncovsky stit, I believe) was first climbed by them around 1900. My
      grandfather worked in the resort area called Schmecks (now Stary
      Smokovec?) before emigrating to the US.
      What I'd like to find out: I believe the Hunsdorfers are related
      to Johann and Paul Hunfalvy, who I think were geographers. One or
      the other, I believe, is the father of Johann Hunsdorfer (Sr.), but I
      don't know which one. My grandfather had another brother, named
      Paul, who died in infancy. My grandfather had book in his possession
      (which hasn't been translated), but has indications in the margins
      something to do with these Hunfalvy men.
      In addition to Hunsdorfer/Hulfalvy, I am also interested in the
      Loisch family (I believe many of them came to the U.S., including
      Susanna Loisch's parents, sister, and I think a brother, and probably
      others) and the Breyer family (I think my grandfather's mother, Maria
      Susanna Breyer, had a brother Johann who possibly was the first to
      emigrate to the US -- my grandfather's passenger records says his
      destination is "Uncle Johann Breyer" in Philadelphia). Is there a
      source for information (birth, marriage, baptism, emigration, death
      records) for Neuwalddorf? Something I can do online, or send away
      for? I probably will never be able to travel to Slovakia and
      research this myself. I am grateful for this group because I think
      there are some who truly do know how to research my family. I have
      researched as far as I can from my grandfather and his siblings
      forward to today; now I would like to try to work backward to older
      records and people.
      These families were Germans. After WWII, all of them were rounded
      up and shipped off to East Germany (some were able to get away ahead
      of the soldiers, and came to the U.S.) I have letters from my
      grandfather's sister (who wasn't one of the lucky ones) which tell
      that tale. They were "Lutherans" = Evangelicals, so any church
      records would be there, not the Catholic church.
      Thanks for any suggestions/help. I am glad I found this group and
      enjoy ALL the posts.
    • rusnakes
      Message 52 of 52 , Sep 24, 2013

        Děkuju mnohokrát, Vilo!

        I had wondered about the populations of Rusnaks in Slovakia.  There are so few here in the US (for the population size) that it is rather opposite for searches.  My family was the only "Rusnak" in the entire state of KY when I was growing up.  I was one of two Rusnaks in TN in the 1990s. :)

        That is excellent info about the surname Stapinsky.  I have run into few of them in my search over the years (in the US) and have yet to venture into Slovakia (I only found out about the Presov connection within the last week).  I would be curious to know how others begin the search in the old country.  We have the international Ancestry subscription, but other than that (and using Google to search), I am starting off green in my research over there.  It's one thing to link names to villages and another to link actual ancestors to the villages, too.  :)

        The Washuta/Pachuta group supposedly came from "Ukraina", which I would take to be present day Ukraine.  I feel that they are Rusyn, from the western region about which you spoke.  I have read quite a bit about the region over the years, but have never been able to connect the family to that region in searches.

        Thanks for the suggestions!  I have enjoyed the searches you provided!

        ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Vitajte Emilka,

        There are many Rusnak people listed in this phone directory.  Using this only gives you some idea of how common the name is.

        Stapinsky [Shtahpeen-skee] (there is an accent mark over the S, making it Sh). is less common.  http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Stapinsky/slovensko/

        Rusnak people live in places around eastern Slovakia.  Yes their was a very large population in the part of Ukraine that once was the "tail " of Czechoslovakia known as Pod Karpaty Rus [Pohd Kahrrpatee Ruhs] Sub Carpathian Rusin.

        Pachuta [Pahkhuh-tah] is not listed but does not necessarily indicate there are not families in Slovakia.

        Washuta is listed.  In Slovak it is Vasuta [Vah-shutah], Accent mark over the "s".

        Hope this info helps, as a starter.