Re: [S-R] Given name question

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
      I would say, that Seman is a bad reading of Simon. Tej is a hungarian word
      for Milk.
      Terka is Terezia all right.
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
        >>>My best guess from studying the list is that SEMAN is roughly Samuel, is
        that correct?

        Seman is a Rusyn version of Simeon, with a diminutive form Semko. It may
        also be rendered Symeon, with the diminutive form Symko. In Ukrainian it's
        Semen (funny looking to our eyes, of course).

        Rich Custer

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • dan wanchic
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
          Vladimir,

          Thanks for the clarification!

          I had found the Tej meaning milk translation earlier.

          My relatives claim no knowledge of any Hungarian connection besides living
          in the "Empire" ;-))
          Krize and the area appears to be fairly isolated due to geography.

          My only summation is that they must have been dairy farmers.

          Do you know if Tej was used as a census term to describe dairy farmers?

          Perhaps that is how they 'acquired' a Hungarian surname.

          Dan

          If this address bounces
          -- wa8vzq@...--
          -- Apple Valley, MN --

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
            My family knew a Seman clan -- in Cleveland --
            probably some still there.

            Caye

            --- "rcuster@..." <rcuster@...> wrote:

            > SEMAN is roughly Samuel, is
            > that correct?
            >
            > Seman is a Rusyn version of Simeon, with a
            > diminutive form Semko. It may
            > also be rendered Symeon, with the diminutive form
            > Symko. In Ukrainian it's
            > Semen (funny looking to our eyes, of course).
            >
            > Rich Custer

            > http://mail2web.com/ .

            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
              Dear Dan,
              It is not possible to reconstruct, who and why got a particular name. It
              happened before 16th century and there are no records from that time. The
              fact, that they had such a name also does not suggest, that they had
              anything special to do with milk as any other farmer. Try surname Tej on
              Ellis Island and you will probably see, they came from various places and
              surely they did not have the same occupation. This maybe would be true for
              the first bearer, but this is many centuries back and lots of things have
              happened since.
              Regards,
              Vladimir

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
                Dan,
                With all due respect, I would not be so quick to conclude that they were dairy farmers based solely on their surname. Krize is located in the mountainous Tatras range. While nothing is impossible, dairy farming is generally inconsistent with livelihoods in mountain terrain. Cattle and dairy animals generally do not fair well n mountainous territory as it is rather dangerous on their legs and there is no ready market for milk (I worked on a dairy farm as a youth.) It was more likely, especially in that they were located on a "dead end", that is, on a road that follows a stream uphill as far as is practicable - the more likely occupations included forestry and sheparding (sheep). Take a look at a nearby topographical map http://www.sazp.sk/slovak/struktura/ceev/DPZ/pramene/bj/bogliarka50.jpg and you will see just how steep and rough these lands are. While the village is in the valley, the moutains rise up quite quickly and pasture lands are not very generous in the valley.

                In old times, often forests were cleared on the top of gently sloping hills, as you might find in the Carpathian mts. In those cases, pasture land was created, but again, it was mostly grazed by sheep.

                If people had milk cows, it was generally only one or two per household, used for their own immediate consumption.

                Hope this helps.
                Bill Tarkulich

                > From: "dan wanchic" <wa8vzq@...>
                > Date: 2004/11/05 Fri AM 10:32:20 EST
                > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [S-R] Given name question
                >

                > Vladimir,
                >
                > Thanks for the clarification!
                >
                > I had found the Tej meaning milk translation earlier.
                >
                > My relatives claim no knowledge of any Hungarian connection besides living
                > in the "Empire" ;-))
                > Krize and the area appears to be fairly isolated due to geography.
                >
                > My only summation is that they must have been dairy farmers.
                >
                > Do you know if Tej was used as a census term to describe dairy farmers?
                >
                > Perhaps that is how they 'acquired' a Hungarian surname.
                >
                > Dan
                >
                > If this address bounces
                > -- wa8vzq@...--
                > -- Apple Valley, MN --
                >

                > >From: "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...>
                > >To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
                > >Subject: Re: [S-R] Given name question
                > >Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:42:52 +0100
                > >

                > >I would say, that Seman is a bad reading of Simon. Tej is a hungarian word
                > >for Milk.
                > >Terka is Terezia all right.
                > >Vladimir

              • dan wanchic
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
                  Bill,

                  Thanks much for your input.

                  Yes, I've wondered the same having looked a the terrain in the past.
                  Then again, sheep and goats are raised for milk as well...

                  This far into the future, I can only speculate from what clues I can
                  pick up in research. In looking at Ellis Island records, I see that there
                  are a few who came from Luc, Poland with the same surname. Since
                  that is now in Ukraine, that brings a whole new aspect to consider.

                  Given the history of the area related to the Mongol and Ottoman invasions
                  and the resulting turmoils, many possiblities exist. Especially for a locale
                  so close to several borders.

                  There are some unconfirmed tales that the Vancik side came across
                  the border from Poland sometime in the 16th or 17 century. I'd have a
                  tendency to believe this since my grandmother spelled her name Wancsik.
                  Showing both Hungarian and Polish influence ;-))

                  Thanks again

                  Dan

                  If this address bounces
                  -- wa8vzq@...--
                  -- Apple Valley, MN --

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
                    An interesting exercise for you might be to dig out the village census for 1869 (Hungary only) and look at the livestock section. You can get some idea of what type of livestock were prevalent by looking at each house in the village. In my villages farther to the east, I found mostly Oxen, sheep, goats, pigs. Here and there was a horse.

                    http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm#1869Census
                    Bill

                    > From: "dan wanchic" <wa8vzq@...>
                    > Date: 2004/11/05 Fri PM 01:06:32 EST
                    > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: Re: Re: [S-R] Given name question
                    >

                    > Bill,
                    >
                    > Thanks much for your input.
                    >
                    > Yes, I've wondered the same having looked a the terrain in the past.
                    > Then again, sheep and goats are raised for milk as well...
                    >
                    > This far into the future, I can only speculate from what clues I can
                    > pick up in research. In looking at Ellis Island records, I see that there
                    > are a few who came from Luc, Poland with the same surname. Since
                    > that is now in Ukraine, that brings a whole new aspect to consider.
                    >
                    > Given the history of the area related to the Mongol and Ottoman invasions
                    > and the resulting turmoils, many possiblities exist. Especially for a locale
                    > so close to several borders.
                    >
                    > There are some unconfirmed tales that the Vancik side came across
                    > the border from Poland sometime in the 16th or 17 century. I'd have a
                    > tendency to believe this since my grandmother spelled her name Wancsik.
                    > Showing both Hungarian and Polish influence ;-))
                    >
                    > Thanks again
                    >

                    > Dan
                    >
                    > If this address bounces
                    > -- wa8vzq@...--
                    > -- Apple Valley, MN --

                  • Milan Huba
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 10, 2005
                      With all due respect, I would not be so quick to conclude that they were
                      dairy farmers based solely on their surname. Krize is located in the
                      mountainous Tatras range. While nothing is impossible, dairy farming is
                      generally inconsistent with livelihoods in mountain terrain. Cattle and
                      dairy animals generally do not fair well n mountainous territory as it is
                      rather dangerous on their legs and there is no ready market for milk (I
                      worked on a dairy farm as a youth.) It was more likely, especially in that
                      they were located on a "dead end", that is, on a road that follows a stream
                      uphill as far as is practicable - the more likely occupations included
                      forestry and sheparding (sheep). Take a look at a nearby topographical map
                      http://www.sazp.sk/slovak/struktura/ceev/DPZ/pramene/bj/bogliarka50.jpg and
                      you will see just how steep and rough these lands are. While the village is
                      in the valley, the moutains rise up quite quickly and pasture lands are not
                      very generous in the valley.

                      In old times, often forests were cleared on the top of gently sloping hills,
                      as you might find in the Carpathian mts. In those cases, pasture land was
                      created, but again, it was mostly grazed by sheep.

                      If people had milk cows, it was generally only one or two per household,
                      used for their own immediate consumption.

                      Hope this helps.
                      Bill Tarkulich

                      > From: "dan wanchic" <wa8vzq@...>
                      > Date: 2004/11/05 Fri AM 10:32:20 EST
                      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: Re: [S-R] Given name question
                      >

                      > Vladimir,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the clarification!
                      >
                      > I had found the Tej meaning milk translation earlier.
                      >
                      > My relatives claim no knowledge of any Hungarian connection besides living
                      > in the "Empire" ;-))
                      > Krize and the area appears to be fairly isolated due to geography.
                      >
                      > My only summation is that they must have been dairy farmers.
                      >
                      > Do you know if Tej was used as a census term to describe dairy farmers?
                      >
                      > Perhaps that is how they 'acquired' a Hungarian surname.
                      >
                      > Dan
                      >
                      > If this address bounces
                      > -- wa8vzq@...--
                      > -- Apple Valley, MN --
                      >

                      > >From: "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...>
                      > >To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
                      > >Subject: Re: [S-R] Given name question
                      > >Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:42:52 +0100
                      > >

                      > >I would say, that Seman is a bad reading of Simon. Tej is a hungarian
                      word
                      > >for Milk.
                      > >Terka is Terezia all right.
                      > >Vladimir

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Dr. Joe Q
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 10, 2005
                        Krize is certainly hilly but not mountainous. I have
                        visited the area and saw a farmer with a cow plowing
                        the fields.

                        Dr. "Q"

                        (If I had the time and patience, I would remove all of
                        the hard returns from the messages below - - - but I
                        do not!)

                        --- Milan Huba <illy@...> wrote:

> [...]

                        __________________________________
                        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
                      • Antal Burjan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 10, 2005
                          Hello everybody,

                          I'm just wondering... the Szekler-Hungarians living in Eastern Transsylvania between mountains almost as high as the Hight Tatras (with peaks above 2000 m) usually have lots of cows and sheeps also. They let them out in the spring, animals and sheperds climb the mountain and they return home only in late autumn. In the meanwhile cheese is being made from the milk of the animals. I've visited several times Slovakia (I live now 20kms from the border) and the region looks quite familiar, even the construction style seems very familiar to me. I suppose people are somehow alike too.

                          On the other hand I've never ever met the surname "Tej" in Hungarian. I don't say it doesn't exist, I just never met it... It might come from Polish or Slovak...but I only have some clues of Polish, and almost no idea of Slovak. I hope I also helped a little...

                          With all due respect, I would not be so quick to conclude that they were
                          dairy farmers based solely on their surname. Krize is located in the
                          mountainous Tatras range. While nothing is impossible, dairy farming is
                          generally inconsistent with livelihoods in mountain terrain. Cattle and
                          dairy animals generally do not fair well n mountainous territory as it is
                          rather dangerous on their legs and there is no ready market for milk (I
                          worked on a dairy farm as a youth.) It was more likely, especially in that
                          they were located on a "dead end", that is, on a road that follows a stream
                          uphill as far as is practicable - the more likely occupations included
                          forestry and sheparding (sheep). Take a look at a nearby topographical map
                          http://www.sazp.sk/slovak/struktura/ceev/DPZ/pramene/bj/bogliarka50.jpg and
                          you will see just how steep and rough these lands are. While the village is
                          in the valley, the moutains rise up quite quickly and pasture lands are not
                          very generous in the valley.

                          In old times, often forests were cleared on the top of gently sloping hills,
                          as you might find in the Carpathian mts. In those cases, pasture land was
                          created, but again, it was mostly grazed by sheep.

                          If people had milk cows, it was generally only one or two per household,
                          used for their own immediate consumption.

                          Hope this helps.
                          Bill Tarkulich

                          > From: "dan wanchic" <wa8vzq@...>
                          > Date: 2004/11/05 Fri AM 10:32:20 EST
                          > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                          > Subject: Re: [S-R] Given name question
                          >

                          > Vladimir,
                          >
                          > Thanks for the clarification!
                          >
                          > I had found the Tej meaning milk translation earlier.
                          >
                          > My relatives claim no knowledge of any Hungarian connection besides living
                          > in the "Empire" ;-))
                          > Krize and the area appears to be fairly isolated due to geography.
                          >
                          > My only summation is that they must have been dairy farmers.
                          >
                          > Do you know if Tej was used as a census term to describe dairy farmers?
                          >
                          > Perhaps that is how they 'acquired' a Hungarian surname.
                          >
                          > Dan
                          >
                          > If this address bounces
                          > -- wa8vzq@...--
                          > -- Apple Valley, MN --
                          >

                          > >From: "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...>
                          > >To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
                          > >Subject: Re: [S-R] Given name question
                          > >Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:42:52 +0100
                          > >

                          > >I would say, that Seman is a bad reading of Simon. Tej is a hungarian
                          word
                          > >for Milk.
                          > >Terka is Terezia all right.
                          > >Vladimir

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          ---------------------------------

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 11, 2005
                            Milan,
                            forgive me if you have already told the list, but you mentioned that you live
                            20 KM away from the Slovakian border. do you live in Poland?
                            Noreen

                          • hungaricus_1969
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 11, 2005
                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:
                              >Hi Noreen,

                              I suppose your question was intended to me... at least I'm the one who
                              told that lives 20 km away from the border. But I'm Antal, not Milan :-
                              ). I live in Hungary in the city of Rétság, about 22 km south from Sahy
                              (Ipolyság) situated already in Slovakia.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 11, 2005
                                I stand corrected with regard to beef cattle. However, I'll stand by my
                                comments regarding dairy cattle.

                                ______________
                                Bill Tarkulich

                                With all due respect, I would not be so quick to conclude that they were
                                dairy farmers based solely on their surname. Krize is located in the
                                mountainous Tatras range. While nothing is impossible, dairy farming is
                                generally inconsistent with livelihoods in mountain terrain. Cattle and
                                dairy animals generally do not fair well n mountainous territory as it is
                                rather dangerous on their legs and there is no ready market for milk (I
                                worked on a dairy farm as a youth.) It was more likely, especially in that
                                they were located on a "dead end", that is, on a road that follows a stream
                                uphill as far as is practicable - the more likely occupations included
                                forestry and sheparding (sheep). Take a look at a nearby topographical map
                                http://www.sazp.sk/slovak/struktura/ceev/DPZ/pramene/bj/bogliarka50.jpg and
                                you will see just how steep and rough these lands are. While the village is
                                in the valley, the moutains rise up quite quickly and pasture lands are not
                                very generous in the valley.

                                In old times, often forests were cleared on the top of gently sloping hills,
                                as you might find in the Carpathian mts. In those cases, pasture land was
                                created, but again, it was mostly grazed by sheep.

                                If people had milk cows, it was generally only one or two per household,
                                used for their own immediate consumption.

                                Hope this helps.
                                Bill Tarkulich

                                > From: "dan wanchic" <wa8vzq@...>
                                > Date: 2004/11/05 Fri AM 10:32:20 EST
                                > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                                > Subject: Re: [S-R] Given name question
                                >

                                > Vladimir,
                                >
                                > Thanks for the clarification!
                                >
                                > I had found the Tej meaning milk translation earlier.
                                >
                                > My relatives claim no knowledge of any Hungarian connection besides living
                                > in the "Empire" ;-))
                                > Krize and the area appears to be fairly isolated due to geography.
                                >
                                > My only summation is that they must have been dairy farmers.
                                >
                                > Do you know if Tej was used as a census term to describe dairy farmers?
                                >
                                > Perhaps that is how they 'acquired' a Hungarian surname.
                                >
                                > Dan
                                >
                                > If this address bounces
                                > -- wa8vzq@...--
                                > -- Apple Valley, MN --
                                >

                                > >From: "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...>
                                > >To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
                                > >Subject: Re: [S-R] Given name question
                                > >Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:42:52 +0100
                                > >

                                > >I would say, that Seman is a bad reading of Simon. Tej is a hungarian
                                word
                                > >for Milk.
                                > >Terka is Terezia all right.
                                > >Vladimir

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                American family home insurance American family home insurance company
                                American family home owner insurance Multi family home for sale Single
                                family home for sale Family home finance

                                Yahoo! Groups Links