Re: [S-R] Place names

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      Thank you Vladimir for your poignant story.

      Vladimir's story is a wonderful example of what I like to call the "Wild Goose Chase." This story clearly illustrates the importance of finding the correct village. Period.

      Here are some rules I live by:

      1. For the vast majority of cases, it is simply a waste of time to search for a surname. People move, unrelated families with the same surname live in far off lands, wars and pogroms disrupt. You must find the correct ancestral village name.

      2. Once you have a village name, you must corroborate it before it can be accepted as correct. The only way to do this is to find at least TWO INDEPENDENT pieces of information, which support this name (Three is better, but hard to come by).

      3. NEVER assume one citation of a surname, place or other data in any document, (no matter how official it may be) as correct. Always treat every piece of data with suspicion until you can corroborate it.

      4. Always remind yourself that a village name may have changed numerous times over history. Identify all the possible name variations.

      It is possible to sort all this out yourself, but you must be up to the challenge. You will need to devote many hours of study to the history and geography of the region. It can take years. If however, you are an impatient soul, it would be better off to hire a genealogist to sort through the issues for you.

      The sad part to this story are the many cases of family researchers who begin an investigation and make incorrect assumptions. In many cases, they hit a dead end and give up after pounding their heads for a couple of years. It's mostly just wasted time. They don't realize how close they are, they are just missing a piece or two of critical information.