Re: Re: [S-R] Village Name (Hudlice, Nove Sedla)

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
      Vladimir is of course on the mark. To extend the knowledge, the surnames cited never have appeared in my small corner of the world.

      It's worth explaining that the FHL has not filmed every corner of the world. In fact, the Czech Republic vital records have not been filmed and there are no plans to do so a present as the CR government refused the FHL request. This is why Vladimir indicates the need to hire someone to go to the archives on your behalf.

      There is the alternative approach of writing the the CR Archives and having them extract data for you. This is less expensive than hiring a genealogist, but you'll have to wait much longer and cannot be assured that you will get what you are looking for. A classic case of "your time or your money."

      > From: "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...>
      > Date: 2004/11/02 Tue AM 10:22:44 EST
      > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: Re: [S-R] Village Name
      >

      > Dear whoever was looking for Hudlice and Nove Sedlo,
      > There are two places in Czech rep, called Hudlice and two called Nove Sedlo.
      > So, your ancestors came nicely from what is now Czech republic.
      > Nothing to do with Ukraine or Ulic.
      > In order to find anything there you will have to find a Czech genealogist, who will do that for you.
      > Look at CGSI site. They have a list of them.
      > Best regards,
      > Vladimir

    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
        Dear Bill,
        Right. Just I am not sure whether the particular archive is accepting the research orders. I haven't been checking in what archives this would be, but it can be Plzen. As you see, there are two places of each name, so this has to be sorted out first. Some archives definitely do not accept research orders any more. This is why, for example in Brno, when I get there, there are 25 genealogists sitting there with books or films.Brno archive is to congratulate for being able to handle so many researchers. In Slovakia, if there are more than three, there is a problem:-)
        Since I am always doing the research myself, I do not know for sure, which archives take and which do not take orders.

        I also must say, that if LDS would have filmed the Czech records, an ordinary person would have not more than a zero chance to read anything. Most of the records are written in very nasty old german script, which requires an expert.
        Who doesn't believe me, I can send him a sample of a record. This is why the Czech researchers have so much to do.
        Best regards,
        Vladimir

        Vladimir is of course on the mark. To extend the knowledge, the surnames cited never have appeared in my small corner of the world.

        It's worth explaining that the FHL has not filmed every corner of the world. In fact, the Czech Republic vital records have not been filmed and there are no plans to do so a present as the CR government refused the FHL request. This is why Vladimir indicates the need to hire someone to go to the archives on your behalf.

        There is the alternative approach of writing the the CR Archives and having them extract data for you. This is less expensive than hiring a genealogist, but you'll have to wait much longer and cannot be assured that you will get what you are looking for. A classic case of "your time or your money."

        > From: "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...>
        > Date: 2004/11/02 Tue AM 10:22:44 EST
        > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: Re: [S-R] Village Name
        >

        > Dear whoever was looking for Hudlice and Nove Sedlo,
        > There are two places in Czech rep, called Hudlice and two called Nove Sedlo.
        > So, your ancestors came nicely from what is now Czech republic.
        > Nothing to do with Ukraine or Ulic.
        > In order to find anything there you will have to find a Czech genealogist, who will do that for you.
        > Look at CGSI site. They have a list of them.
        > Best regards,
        > Vladimir

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

        http://www.eset.sk

      • Jan Ammann
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
          Hello Vladamir.........My first opportunity to say thank you for your many helpful posts and for your knowledge. It is always good to have a "guidepost" like you. However, I do have to say that my Krestni Lists and Reises Pass for my ancestors are quite legible and readable. Perhaps we were lucky and just got a "good handwriting" person who made them out. They are from the 1870's. Actually, they are very beautiful documents. And of course, I treasure them. The Reise Pass is quite interesting in that it gives my g-g-grandfather's description. It is a little hard to discern, while the Krestni's are very easy. They came from the area of Lednice which is now Czech Republic, but what was then Moravia. I grew up in a household that spoke Moravian....as did all my relatives. Then we we started school, English was the language, but still Moravian for family weekends, etc. Because both my parents are gone, I have lost so much of my Moravian ability. And I do have to say
          "Moravian"........my grandmother beat that into us. She would say, "Te se Moravian"....however, "Ja jsem Moravian a German". Not Czech...not slavic...not Silesian...but Moravian. And I will always remember that.

          Jan (Aloysia)

        • VandenJS@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
            In a message dated 11/2/04 11:50:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
            bill.tarkulich@... writes:

            << for you.
            > Look at CGSI site. They have a list of them.
            > Best regards,
            > Vladimir

            Dear Vladimir,

            Thank you for the info. I have now subscribed to the CGSI.
            I'll have to figure out what my next step is. At least my back is not against
            the wall.
            Apreciate your help.

            Joni VandenBerg - looking for that Knobloch family.