Re: Changing surnames?

  • Maura Petzolt
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2000
      It seems that you have done a lot to find this person with the Trembeth
      surname and in the US birth records.... but I do have a few
      suggestions.....

      1. Check soundex to NY arrivals for 1897-1947 for the surnames Trembeth,
      Vaingar and Medleck. I note that he has two surnames listed for his
      mother..... one could be her maiden name and one her married name. You'd
      also be able to rule out the Trembeth arrival as his surname. Going to
      PA from Austria-Hungary it is most likely that they came through NY, but
      if you find nothing there, you can also check the Philly arrivals. See
      the sections on my Hints page for how to do this via your local FHC.
      Since he came to the US twice, it is likely he will be listed twice on
      the passenger arrival soundex/index, tho the mother will only be listed
      once.

      2. PA has a 1910 census that is soundexed (one of about 23 states that
      does). You should also check there for the family, as that will not only
      give you information on whether they are there yet [thereby narrowing
      your arrival date], but also give you information to compare.

      3. Likewise you should check the 1900 census for this Trembeth family.
      Sometimes finding information on them, like wills etc, might lead you
      to the clue you need on him.

      4. Have you checked court records to see if there were legal documents
      filed for formal adoption or name changes? More than likely it was
      informal, but you never know!

      I hope these few suggestions may help you. Don't get discouraged!

      Maura