Re: [S-R] Surname Miko in New jersey

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
      In a message dated 10/31/04 6:45:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      kathiraisa@... writes:

      > Any suggestions/advise will be most welcome!

      he must have had some sort of insurance to pay for the nursing home. can
      you get the name of the person who handled his payments?
      was there an obituary in one of the newpapers in the Oranges? are you near
      to the libraries in East Orange?
      at the age of 99, he may have outlived even some of his children. did he
      have a religious ceremony for burial??

    • kathiraisa@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004

        kathiraisa@... writes:

        > Any suggestions/advise will be most welcome!

        he must have had some sort of insurance to pay for the nursing home. can
        you get the name of the person who handled his payments?
        was there an obituary in one of the newpapers in the Oranges? are you near
        to the libraries in East Orange?
        at the age of 99, he may have outlived even some of his children. did he
        have a religious ceremony for burial??

        Hello

        No, there was no obituary in any newspaper; I checked with several
        libraries. I found him because I found his death in the SS index, then called some
        place in East Orange for the death certificate.

        I hadn't thought about insurance. But then I would need the nursing home to
        answer my letter, which as I mentioned they didn't. Will have to write
        again or even call.

        I know nothing about his burial; the funeral home didn't mention anything to
        that effect.

        Thanks for your reply!

        Kathi

      • EMSCRS@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
          As to paying for the nursing home, probably Social Security did that.
          However, the original SS application should (not necessary will) include his
          parents names and perhaps other useful information. Since the death certificate
          has nothing, that might be the next place to look. Have you also looked for
          any possible military records? When did he come here, or was he born here?
          If he was born elsewhere, perhaps the Ellis Island website might have
          something on the passenger lists. Also, you could look for his Declaration of
          Intent, if he was not made a citizen through his father. That should be in the NJ
          State Archives, if he lived in New Jersey for that long a time. They also
          have a website, which explains how to get info from them. That should show
          where he was born, and assorted other information, which varies according to the
          time it was filed. The nursing home (more likely to answer if you could go
          in person, but perhaps a phone call would do) should also have the address
          where he lived before he was admitted, and also who admitted him. Could be a
          relative, or perhaps a hospital. If I think of anything else, I will add to
          this later.

          Elizabeth
          Virginia

        • Peggy
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
            Was the nursing home run by the State? Since he lived to the age of 99,
            unless he was extremely wealthy, his care had to be paid by someone. I
            would investigate the nursing home and try to find out if a government
            agency was involved with him care. Try calling other nursing homes to ask
            if they have any info on the nuring home your relative was staying in.
            Explain your story, maybe they can give you a lead where to call for more
            help.

            The reason I say this is because my uncle, before he died, lived in a
            nursing home. He saved money so I was able to pay for his care with his
            money. However, if his money ran out (he died before that happened) Social
            Security would have taken over and paid for his care at the nursing home he
            was living at.

          • kathiraisa@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
              Hi Virginia

              Thanks for your reply. He was born in Hethars, today Lipany. I have his SS
              application and I also found him on the Ellis Island site. I am not sure
              when he moved to NJ, but will try finding a Declaration of Intent as you
              suggested.

              I am sure that if I went to the nursing home in person I would get some kind
              of help; I guess one of these days I should call, then go. It really isn't
              that far away, just that driving in that area of NJ is kind of scary! :)

              Thanks again!
              Kathi

              In a message dated 10/31/2004 8:18:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              EMSCRS@... writes:

[...]

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
                Perhaps you can locate useful information in Slovak records.

                To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name,
                go to the LDS web site:

                LDS has GC & RC parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths
                for Lipany, Slovakia. It also has the very informative 1869 Hungarian
                Census:
                Héthárs (Lipany) FHL INTL Film 2162324 Item 5
                (cont.) Héthárs (Lipany) FHL INTL Film 2153083 Item 1
              • Curt Bochanyin
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
                  Can give what information you have? Birth date, place, date of
                  immigration, ship, ...anything else. I may have found him in the
                  New Jersey census, but cannot tell without this information.

                  Best;,
                  Curt B.>

                • kathiraisa@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
                    Hello Curt

                    His original name was Istvan Miko, but here in the US it became Stefan or
                    Steve Miko. He was born in Hethars, on 13 Feb 1984. He first came to the US on
                    11 Jul 1902 on the Barbarossa, then sometime in 1904 and then on 12 Nov 1906
                    on the Neckar. His parents were Stephan Miko and Julia Korponay.

                    I did once find a Steve Miko on the census, but he had a wife called
                    Pauline. It is not him as I found the marriage of a Stefan Miko and a Pauline in
                    NYC and the parents names did not match.

                    Thanks for your help.

                    Kathi

                  • EMSCRS@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
                      I used to do welfare investigations in Essex Co, NJ. Driving is not scary,
                      getting OUT of the car is hazardous to your health.

                      Virginia is where I live. I just add it, so people will know that I am not
                      necessarily in the area where they need help, but am only offering
                      suggestions. If you do not find the Declaration of Intent in the Archives, it should
                      be in the County Court in Newark, or in the Federal Court in Newark. Neither
                      are places you want to go.

                      Elizabeth

                    • Bonnie Richards
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
                        Aloha Kathi,

                        My family is from Slovakia and Hungary. I have found some of them by
                        misspelling their names, etc. Would you correct the birth year from 13 Feb.
                        1984. Do you suscribe to Ancestry.com? I found several Stefan/Stephen Miko
                        on the listings there. I love to search. I am saddened that it is so
                        treacherous to drive into the Oranges. I'm origianally from Plainfield,
                        N.J. and drove on route 22 through all those towns as a kid on my way to NYC
                        to fly with American airlines. I frequently would drive all the way on the
                        weekends to Saracino's bakery in Elizabeth to buy their fabulous malted milk
                        cake. Long ago memories. I'll do some looking for you if I have resources
                        available. Where are you? How far from East Orange? Take someone big and
                        strong with you. Could it be that bad? I used to do microfilming in Newark
                        in the 70's. Not an expert, just dogged and determined to find info.
                        Contact me if you wish.

                        Regards,
                        Bonnie Richards
                        Hauula, Hawaii

                      • kathiraisa@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
                          Sorry Elizabeth!!!! I had noticed, way after I sent the e-mail that your
                          name was Elizabeth from Virginia. My cat was walking all over the desk and
                          keyboard so I wasn't able to double check everythign before I clicked the send
                          button. Sorru gain!

                          Thanks for you info regarding the the Essex area! I am originally from NJ
                          (Edison) but haven't lived there in 40 some years and don't know much about
                          anyting else around there.

                          I will definitely look into the Declaration of Intent some how; you never
                          know what you can find.

                          THanks again!
                          Kathi

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
                            it's okay - I just noticed that I sent you to the County and Federal Courts,
                            rather than the CourtHOUSES, which is more appropriate. Fingers type faster
                            than brain processes. I can send you the link for the State Archives,
                            assuming I can find where I put it.

                            Elizabeth