Re: Will the history repeat

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Joe Mrnka <jmrnka@y...> wrote:
      > Vladimir,
      >
      > It has been traditionaly accepted, in some circles on the American
      side
      > of the Atlantic that Tiso was martyred for the cause of Slovakia.
      There
      > was also a move in the church on this side of the pond to canonize
      him.
      > I don't hold that opinion, because of the stories my mother
      recalled
      > us kids while she was growing up during WWII.
      >
      > Does it surprise me? No. Unfortunately it's the kind of world we
      live
      > in. Just as it wouldn't surprise me that these efforts are
      supported
      in
      > certain communities on this side of the Atlantic.
      >
      > There does need to be a better effort to educate people on what Tiso
      > did or could have done. Dispelling romantic notions takes time and
      > effort.
      >
      > Joe

      Joe,

      As another subscriber had written to Vladimir :

      > Tiso was a good man, with flaws, obviously, like we all, especially
      in > difficult times. It's time to end the witchhunts.
      > Thomas

      There is now an attempt now in Slovakia and elsewhere to rehabilitate
      the "good" name of Mgr. Joseph Tiso and others.
      And some researchers are studying the roles of the Vatican and the
      Croatian Utashi and their dealings with Jews during WW II.
      Another witchhunt ?
      I suppose in Slovakia better a Slovak Nazi rather than a
      Communist(Red) Czech.

      And was Adolf Hitler also a good man, with flaws, obviously, like we
      all, especially in difficult times ?

      And since the Soviet Communists had killed Carpathian Germans post-WW
      II expect that Joseph Stalin (Vissarionovich Djugashvili) was the
      "Greater Satan".

      In 2001 the Pope had performed beautification for sainthood of 28
      Ukrainians who suffered from Soviet and Nazi oppression

      Incidentlly, in 1916 the Austrian Archduke Karl (Charles) inherited
      the throne of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
      On November 11, 1918 (Armistice Day), Karl was obliged to renounce the
      Austrian throne; however, he never abdicated, only relinquished
      power.
      After Austria rejected him, he planned to reign as king of Hungary.
      But, Karl von Hapsburg (1887-1922) Emperor and King died in exile
      (1922) after Austria had ousted him.
      Recently the Pope has "beautified" Emperor Karl so he will soon be a
      Catholic Saint for his Catholic attributes !

      I can write about "ethnic cleansing" and genocide, too, only the name
      of the country changes.

      http://artemis.austincollege.edu/acad/history/htooley/EthnicCleansingC
      onf.html

      Frank Kurcina