Re: [S-R] Fw: Chicken Soup for the Flu Shot Soul

  • jump4toys@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
      How about Romanian Chicken Soup? Anyway...the best is Jewish Chicken soup,
      which is international!

      > How dare you:-))

    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
        Oh, I would love to taste them all, as long as they are made after slovak recipe :-)
        Slovaks, defend your heritage!
        Somebody wants to steal our chicken soup supremacy.;-)

        How about Romanian Chicken Soup? Anyway...the best is Jewish Chicken soup,
        which is international!

        > How dare you:-))

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        http://www.eset.sk

      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
          I thought chicken soup is the Jewish cure all

          Nick
          At 04:53 PM 22/10/2004, you wrote:

          >How dare you:-))

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
            I think I do it best -- lol! Don't all Slovaks think
            that?

            Caye

            http://messenger.yahoo.com
          • Mebjwb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
              Hi

              I remember my Slovak Grandmother's delicious chicken soup--almost a staple
              every Sunday dinner. Does anyone have a recipe for Slovak Chicken Soup?

              I was only a young child then, and we had to buy the chicken live. Grandma
              had to kill it, and then we both had to clean it. All that before cooking. I
              would really like a recipe that calls for the chicken ready to cook (some
              memories are best forgotten). Also noodles had to be made from scratch. I would
              prefer to buy packaged noodles, if anyone has a good brand recommendation.

              Thanks for your help.

              Marge Bonifield

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
                I'm probably slaughtering the spelling -- but Klushky
                Noodles are my absolute fave -- they come in a
                cellophane bag, DEEEEElish! I put the whole chicken
                in the pot and add a bunch of veggies -- and I know
                it's probably not Slovak, but I gotta toss some fresh
                dill sprigs in mine. Then pull the meat off the bones
                before ya serve it up.

                Caye

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
                  Dear Caye,

                  I remember the word "Klusky", but what do I buy today at my local supermarket
                  that would be equal? Thanks.

                  Marge B.

                • MAMallon
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
                    I'm not one to post on this group - just sit back and learn from everyone
                    and it's a wonderful learning experience. However, I must tell you that my
                    Slovak grandmother made the best chicken soup with homemade very thin
                    noodles. Her secret ingredient was adding parsnips and I must agree that
                    she knew what she was doing!

                    Mary Ann Mallon

                    Searching KRIZIK; HAVIER

                    _____

                    --- Mebjwb@... wrote:

                    > Hi
                    >
                    > I remember my Slovak Grandmother's delicious chicken
                    > soup--almost a staple
                    > every Sunday dinner. Does anyone have a recipe for
                    > Slovak Chicken Soup?
                    >
                    > I was only a young child then, and we had to buy the
                    > chicken live. Grandma
                    > had to kill it, and then we both had to clean it.
                    > All that before cooking. I
                    > would really like a recipe that calls for the
                    > chicken ready to cook (some
                    > memories are best forgotten). Also noodles had to
                    > be made from scratch. I would
                    > prefer to buy packaged noodles, if anyone has a good
                    > brand recommendation.
                    >
                    > Thanks for your help.
                    >
                    > Marge Bonifield

                    > removed]

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129r2tjmb/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr
                    oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1098559297/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http:/promo
                    tions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html> click here

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
                    :HM/A=2376776/rand=673890471>

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
                      Same here -- by "lotta veggies" i meant root veggies
                      -- turnips, carrots, rutabagas, parsnips, colorabi(?)
                      and even beets, the yellow ones won't turn your soup
                      Borscht Red -- although nothing wrong with that.

                      Caye

                      http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
                        That's it -- they carry it at my grocery stores --
                        I've gotten them (in Chicago Area) at Jewel, Dominicks
                        -- and Food-4-Less (which is a subsidiary of Kroger)
                        -- so check on the bottom shelf where they have most
                        of the egg noodles -- or ask your store to get you
                        some.

                        If that's impossible, I'd be willing to ship ya some
                        if you give me your address (in a post to my e-mail).

                        Caye

                        --- Mebjwb@... wrote:

                        > Dear Caye,
                        >
                        > I remember the word "Klusky", but what do I buy
                        > today at my local supermarket
                        > that would be equal? Thanks.
                        >
                        > Marge B.

                        > removed]

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      • Jan Ammann
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
                          Hello List........I am now hungry. However, I do believe everyone has it wrong. Moravian Chicken Soup is the very best of the bestest!!!!! I will look up my recipe (if I can find it) from my mother who got it from my grandmother who got it from my great-grandmother.....and I could go on but I am sure you get the picture.

                          If any of you live near a polish....moravian/czech.....slovak.....hungarian based church you will usually find home-made noodles when they have their festivals or celebration.

                          Cheers for a good weekend.......

                          Jan (Aloysia)

                          Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:
                          How dare you:-))

                          Well, I think the Hungarians do it better. But then again, it's all mixed up
                          over there!

                          > Dear List members,
                          >
                          > I am sure you will agree with me; there is no chicken soup like a Slovak
                          > chicken soup.
                          > Regards,
                          > Vladimir

                        • Don Havlicek
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
                            Look below for inserted comment. Then to the bottom!

                            Caye Caswick wrote:

                            > Same here -- by "lotta veggies" i meant root veggies
                            > -- turnips, carrots, rutabagas, parsnips, colorabi(?)

                            kohlrabi .. You can keep the turnips and rutabaga and parsnips ... but I
                            like the rest.

                            > and even beets, the yellow ones won't turn your soup
                            > Borscht Red -- although nothing wrong with that.
                            >

                            > Caye

                            I have wonderful memories of Grandma Havlicek cooking ... everything she
                            cooked was perfect ... and she never used a recipe!

                            Best foods from Grandma:
                            Knofle & Omachka [served with roast beef!]
                            Live Knedle Soup [only way I like liver to this day!]
                            Apple Strudle [yes.. it's German... so what?] .. she made it on the
                            kitchen table top .. rolled with a rolling pin to cover the whole
                            table... then the fillings were put on top and the whole thing rolled up
                            and then 'snaked' onto a huge cookie sheet .. and baked .. the aroma
                            made your mouth water in anticipation! [even the thought of it is making
                            mine water right now!]
                            Potato bread .... made from freshly harvested potatoes from the back
                            yard garden.

                            I'm done .. and hungry !
                            Don Havlicek
                            Connersville, IN
                          • Don Havlicek
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
                              LIVER knedle soup ... come on Don ... read and correct your typos !
                              Sheeesh

                              Don Havlicek wrote:
                              > Look below for inserted comment. Then to the bottom!
                              >
                              > Caye Caswick wrote:
                              >
                              >>Same here -- by "lotta veggies" i meant root veggies
                              >>-- turnips, carrots, rutabagas, parsnips, colorabi(?)
                              >

                              > kohlrabi .. You can keep the turnips and rutabaga and parsnips ... but I
                              > like the rest.
                              >

                              >>and even beets, the yellow ones won't turn your soup
                              >>Borscht Red -- although nothing wrong with that.
                              >>

                              >>Caye
                              >>

                              > I have wonderful memories of Grandma Havlicek cooking ... everything she
                              > cooked was perfect ... and she never used a recipe!
                              >
                              > Best foods from Grandma:
                              > Knofle & Omachka [served with roast beef!]
                              > Live Knedle Soup [only way I like liver to this day!]
                              > Apple Strudle [yes.. it's German... so what?] .. she made it on the
                              > kitchen table top .. rolled with a rolling pin to cover the whole
                              > table... then the fillings were put on top and the whole thing rolled up
                              > and then 'snaked' onto a huge cookie sheet .. and baked .. the aroma
                              > made your mouth water in anticipation! [even the thought of it is making
                              > mine water right now!]
                              > Potato bread .... made from freshly harvested potatoes from the back
                              > yard garden.
                              >
                              > I'm done .. and hungry !
                              > Don Havlicek
                              > Connersville, IN

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Caye Caswick
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
                                LOL, you'll have to pick those out -- luckily I make
                                'em pretty large chunks.

                                hahahaha!!

                                Caye

                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
                                  i find it hard to argue with bestEST!! well-put!

                                  Caye

                                  --- Jan Ammann <janammann@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello List........I am now hungry. However, I do
                                  > believe everyone has it wrong. Moravian Chicken
                                  > Soup is the very best of the bestest!!!!! I will
                                  > look up my recipe (if I can find it) from my mother
                                  > who got it from my grandmother who got it from my
                                  > great-grandmother.....and I could go on but I am
                                  > sure you get the picture.
                                  >
                                  > If any of you live near a
                                  > polish....moravian/czech.....slovak.....hungarian
                                  > based church you will usually find home-made noodles
                                  > when they have their festivals or celebration.
                                  >
                                  > Cheers for a good weekend.......
                                  >
                                  > Jan (Aloysia)
                                  >
                                  > Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:
                                  > How dare you:-))

                                  http://vote.yahoo.com
                                • Peggy
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
                                    This is my recipe for homemade Chicken Soup. I must tell you that if you
                                    don't have patience then don't make the soup. You can't make chicken soup
                                    in an hour or even two hours. It has to cook slowly for many hours on the
                                    lowest heat.

                                    You can use a whole chicken or two to three meaty chicken breasts. If you
                                    make it with a whole chicken you need to clean it out thoroughly. Stick
                                    your hand inside the bird and pull out (don't know technical terms)
                                    everything that is attached to the ribs. Mostly it is red and slippery, it
                                    could be the residue of liver, I don't know. Just wash it out very good in
                                    cold water. If you are going to use just the breasts you can remove the
                                    skin, but I don't. I want it the way my mom made it.

                                    Put the chicken in a large pot and put enough water to cover it. Put your
                                    burner on high and make the water boil. You will see a foamy substance
                                    start to float. Use a utility spoon with holes to skim the foamy stuff off.
                                    Keep skimming until there is very little or no more foam. Lower your heat
                                    to simmer.

                                    You can put a small can of chopped unseasoned tomatoes (NOT the kind you use
                                    for spaghetti sauce) or you can buy two or three whole tomatoes. Blanch the
                                    tomatoes, take the skin off and chop it fine then add it to the soup.(I use
                                    the whole tomatoes) Chop a half of Italian Parsley very fine, dice one
                                    medium red onion, chop two or three celery sticks (remember to cut off the
                                    bottoms and tops and slice it down the middle then chop it sideways), get
                                    about three or four carrots, (remember to cut a little off the bottom and
                                    cut a little off the top) shave them, wash them off and stick them in the
                                    soup whole. As they cook and get soft you can cut them in half with a
                                    spoon.

                                    Allow it to cook for three or four hours (until the chicken is falling
                                    apart). This is very important, when the chicken is done, take it out of
                                    the soup. Put it in a separate bowl and de-bone it. Do not leave the
                                    chicken in the soup. As you use the soup you can always add the excess
                                    chicken, or make sandwiches with it. Do the same with the noodles. Do not
                                    leave the noodles in the soup, always keep it separate in a bowl.

                                    This is basic chicken soup, feel free to add whatever else you would like.
                                    There are no rules etched in stone, this is just the way I make it.

                                    Peggy
                                  • Mebjwb@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 22, 2004
                                      Hi

                                      Thank all of you for your contributions to Slovak chicken soup. It really
                                      sounds like it is up to the individual cook's preferences. Perhaps the memories
                                      of Grandma's soup make it the best soup, and nothing I cook will taste as
                                      good. As usual with cooks in those days, there was not a recipe, except in
                                      Grandma's head, but it seems to me that it was the best ever (and that is all that
                                      really counts I guess.) Thanks again for your responses.

                                      M. Bonifield

                                    • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 23, 2004
                                        And here I thought my chicken soup was the best!!

                                        My grandmother made chicken soup every Sunday. Eventually, my mother made it for holidays. I have modified what they used to do, but I never use an exact recipe.

                                        I use a canning pot. Along with the chicken (stewing, if possible), I use 4 lbs of carrots (sliced), 2 bunches of sliced celery (with leaves!!!), a bunch of chopped parsley (minus the stems), a couple of sliced onions, some cloves of garlic (chopped), and some canned tomatoes. Season to taste. I do put the chicken meat back in the soup after deboning it. Slow cooking is the secret! I cook and keep the noodles separate. It is very thick with stock and makes a good meal.

                                        I always have enough to give away and/or freeze. Eating chicken soup is one good reason to look forward to the cold weather, which is just around the corner from me. I live in ski country.

                                        Susan Friechaber-Hard

                                        Peggy <mleva@...> wrote:
[...]

                                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT