Re: Welcome to SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com

  • Ylbrd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 22, 1999
      Ahoj, I am Cathy Ambrisko Mullenix and have been doing Genealogy for about 1
      1/2 years. My Grandmother (LAZORIK) immigrated in 1900 from Dacov, Slovakia,
      to Throop, Penn. to Ansonia, Conn. My Grandfather (AMBRISKO) immigrated in
      1898 on the SS Havel out of Bremmen, from Kostolany Nad Hornadom, Slovakia to
      Ellis Island to Ansonia, Conn. I am searching for their siblings.............
      6-21-99
      Searching for: AMBRISKO, MATEJ, SASSAK, STOFKO, of Kostolany Nad. Hornadom,
      (Druzstevna Pri Honade,& St Istavan) Slovakia, Hernad, Vesce, Hungary.
      BARNYIK, BARNICK, of Dacov, Slovakia. YANICKO, JANICHKO, CHERBA, of
      Dubovica,Slovakia. CHURILLA, KANUSCHEK, POLIVKA, LAZORIK, ISTOCIN, EVON,
      IVAN, KOVACH, of
      Dacov, Slovakia. CHEROK (CZIRAK) of Zemplinski. In USA: Scranton, Throop,
      Olyphant, Pa., Gary, Indiania , Ansonia & Milford Ct.
      Please check out my homepage:
      <A
      HREF="http://members.aol.com/ylbrd/genealogy/index.htm">Memories............
      </A>
      http://hometown.aol.com/ylbrd/genealogy/index.htm
      My Grandmother's Recipes......
      Julianna Lazorik Barnyik Ambrisko
      <A HREF="http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/">Recipes of Slovak-World</A>
      http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/
      <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/6674/Recipes1.html">The
      Amateur Genealogy Homepage - Slovak Recipes
      </A>
      http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/6674/Recipes1.html
      PLEASE E-MAIL ME: ylbrd@... Thank You
      "I've fallen into my family tree and I can't get out!"
    • Joyce Bracken
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 23, 1999
        Maura,

        I just found this list today and I'm so glad you own it. We exchanged
        some emails a couple of years ago when you were on Slovak-World and I
        appreciated your support then.

        Joyce

      • sabinov@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 24, 1999
          Hi Joyce....

          Yes, I remember you! You'll have to tell others about this list....

          I learned much of what I know on SlovakWorld and other lists also. I
          periodically go onto SlovakWorld, but that list is for more than
          genealogy, and I felt there was a need for a genealogy only list as well
          as Slovak World.
          This list is NOT meant to replace SlovakWorld, or any other list, in any
          way.

          The more people who join us, the better chance for assistance and maybe
          connections.

          Maura

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          sabinov@...
        • LJoh734607@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 30, 1999
            Hi
            My name is Les
            and I'm trying to find a birth place for one of my grandfathers John Bina
            He said he was born in Novosedlesh Austria and was a citizen of Bohemia
            But never have been able to find said city?
            also had a grandmother come from usti Nad Orlici Her name was Francisco
            (unknown Maiden name) Urban
            Any suggestions
            Thanks
          • Al Stoffa
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 30, 1999
              Les,

              Closest matches I can find are current day Nova Sedlica (Zemplin Co.):
              Novoszelicza, Novoselicza, Nowaoszedlicza, Novoszelicza, Nowosedlica,
              Novoszedlica, Ujszek, Novosedlica, Nova Sedlica, Novaszedlica and Nova
              Sedlica.

              Name Slovak Name Lattitude Longitude Feature Name
              NOVOSEDELSKE HUTE Novosedelske Hute 49� 27' N 12� 44' E Populated Place

              NOVOSEDLI NAD NEZARKOU Novosedli Nad Nezarkou 49� 5' N 14� 49' E
              Populated Place
              NOVOSEDLICE Weisskirchlitz See Novosedlice 50� 39' N 13� 49' E
              Populated Place AKA WEISSKIRCHLITZ
              NOVOSEDLICE Novosedlice 50� 39' N 13� 49' E Populated Place

              Name Slovak Name Lattitude Longitude Feature Name
              USTI NAD ORLICI Usti Nad Orlici 49� 59' N 16� 24' E Populated Place
              USTI NAD ORLICI Ustin Orl See Usti Nad Orlici 49� 59' N 16� 24' E
              Populated Place AKA USTIN ORL
              USTI NAD ORLICI Wildenschwert See Usti Nad Orlici 49� 59' N 16� 24' E
              Populated Place AKA WILDENSCHWERT

              Al Stoffa
              a_stoffa@...

              Researching STOFA and GREGA from the Humenne, Zemplin Co. area. GREGA
              (GREGOR) and DURICA from Slovakia. All to the Freeland, Luzerne Co., PA
              area from 1880-1900.

              --- LJoh734607@... wrote:
              > From: LJoh734607@...
              >
              > Hi
              > My name is Les
              > and I'm trying to find a birth place for one of my grandfathers John
              > Bina
              > He said he was born in Novosedlesh Austria and was a citizen of
              > Bohemia
              > But never have been able to find said city?
              > also had a grandmother come from usti Nad Orlici Her name was
              > Francisco
              > (unknown Maiden name) Urban
              > Any suggestions
              > Thanks

              > ----------------------------
              >
              > ONElist: the best source for group communications.
              > http://www.onelist.com
              > Join a new list today!

            • IRENE LAWSON
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 1, 1999
                Hello:
                Searching the surname of PROKOPOVITS. Any help would be
                appreciated.......Thank you
                Regards, Irene Lawson
                USA
              • LJoh734607@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 1, 1999
                  Al Thanks so much for the reply.
                  I'll have to get out my maps and do some checking
                  Were these places ever in Austria or Czechoslovakia/
                  Thanks again and good luck on your searching
                  Les Johnson
                • Mtomastic@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 18, 1999
                    Hello,
                    I am new to the list. My name is Morris Tomastic(k). I am trying to find any
                    and all information that I can on my surname. My grandparents like so many
                    others did not talk about their past. All that I know is that the family came
                    from Czech. from what my father knew, and that is it.
                    Morris
                  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 18, 1999
                      Hello Morris and welcome to the list....

                      What have you done in terms of searching the US census, getting the
                      naturalization papers, death and marriage certificates of your
                      grandparents? That is where you need to start, you can read some basic
                      information on my Helpful Hints page about getting started and how to go
                      to your local Family History Center and get started there.

                      If you have already done these things, please repost and tell us more.

                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
                      sabinov@...
                      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    • Bruce Bagin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 18, 1999
                        hello: i am bruce bagin, born in milwaukee, wisconsin of Albert Joseph
                        Bagin, a first generation American born Slovak and Nona Guerin, a native
                        american and Irish mother. My paternal grandparents were Karol Bagin and
                        Maria Katherine Minar, whose bitthplace on my father's baptism certificate
                        is Austria-Hungary.

                        Would like to learn more about their birthplace and of any living relatives
                        in the "old country"

                        I am a civil rights attorney whose practice is limited to Employment
                        discrimination.

                        Many thanks,

                        bb

                        Successful Searching at http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlwat/instruct.htm

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 18, 1999
                          Hi Bruce and welcome to our little group!

                          You seem to have some good information to start with, however if you
                          have not done so already, you will need to track your grandparents
                          through the US censuses from 1920 backwards, obtain his naturalization
                          papers (women generally weren't naturalized until after 1922 when they
                          could vote), and maybe check passenger list indexes. After 1906
                          naturalization papers give detailed information on place of birth, and
                          after 1892 ship manifests gave detailed information on where exactly the
                          person lived before emigrating. So much depends on when they emigrated,
                          which you did not state in your post.

                          You can find out from census records what year they arrived if you don't
                          know. Your local Family History Center, run by the Mormon Church, will
                          have access to these records.... and if you are close to a NARA branch
                          they also have them.
                          You can also email the NARA branch of the state the person was
                          naturalized in for the papers ($10 charge when they find them) which is
                          the quickest way to get them --- information on all of these steps is on
                          my Helpful Hints page, url below.

                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
                          sabinov@...
                          Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        • Joan Hendershot
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 18, 1999
                            Hi Morris:

                            Welcome to the group. I have the names Tomcenko, Tomchin, Tomiczko and
                            Tomko in my data base. Do you think there is any connection?

                            Joan
                          • Joanne M Belles
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 10, 1999
                              Looking for Kovac,Kovach,Snoha. Kovac relatives came from Vesele, Snoha
                              relative- no idea, other than Slovakia right now. Settled in Skuylkill
                              County, PA. First names include: Joseph, Vendel, Matthew (Matsay?) and
                              Alzbeta. Anything familiar? Joanne

                            • JArcher360@xxx.xxx
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 11, 1999
                                Am new to the world of Slovak Roots.
                                Searching for information on the village of Slatvina and for information on
                                relatives of Andrew Gredesky (Andras Gredecky was his name on the immigration
                                records). He entered the US in 1902, went to Pennsylvania. His birthplace
                                was listed as Slatvina, Austria-Hungary.
                                Further seekings--Are the Rusyni usually Byzantine Catholic, or can they
                                be Russian Orthodox? Andrew married Mary Rizsak who, I assume was born in
                                Ungvara (present day Uzhorod [?]) since her parents were married in Ungvara
                                and she attended the Russ. Ortho church in this country. We are also
                                searching for info on the Rizsaks. Would like to settle as to whether or not
                                they are Slovaks, Rusyni, Ukrainians, or Belorussians.
                                Caroline
                              • josie krokis
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 12, 1999
                                  Hello! I have just begun to search for the family origin, roots or any
                                  relatives with the family name KROKIS. I am just learning how to search
                                  online and how to explore the internet for information. If anyone has any
                                  advice I would be happy to receive it. Thank you.

                                  Josie Krokis

                                  >From: SLOVAK-ROOTS-owner@onelist.com
                                  >To: jkrokis@...
                                  >Subject: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Welcome to SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com
                                  >Date: 12 Sep 1999 23:59:29 -0000
                                  >
                                  >Hello and Welcome to SLOVAK-ROOTS mail list!
                                  >
                                  >This list is for genealogy queries on ancestors who came from the former
                                  >Austria-Hungary, which are generally the modern day countries of Hungary,
                                  >Czech Republic and Slovak Republic. Queries on locating information in the
                                  >"old country" as well as locating information where your ancestors settled
                                  >are welcomed on this list.
                                  >
                                  >The rules of this list are simple...
                                  >
                                  >1. no flames (rude or abusive postings to other listmembers), do not post
                                  >off-topic emails (which include chain letters, virus warnings, spam etc.)
                                  >
                                  >2. Please do not forward emails from this list to other lists, whether on
                                  >the onelist server or other servers, and do not forward emails from other
                                  >servers to this list. Both are considered copyright violations. The only
                                  >exception of course is if you are the original writer of the email, then
                                  >you can send it wherever you'd like!
                                  >
                                  >3. Please keep queries related to genealogy.
                                  >
                                  >HOW TO WRITE A SUCCESSFUL QUERY - The help you receive on any list is
                                  >directly related to how well you communicate what you are looking for.
                                  >Please see the section on Writing a Good Query on Helpful Hints for
                                  >Successful Searching at http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlwat/instruct.htm
                                  >
                                  >Please take a moment to write a message to the list, introduce yourself and
                                  >tell us where you are searching.
                                  >
                                  >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                                  >www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
                                  >on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                                  >between digest and normal mode.
                                  >

                                  >Thanks and Happy Searching!
                                  >
                                  >Maura Petzolt
                                  >SLOVAK-ROOTS listowner
                                  >sabinov@...

                                • mike
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 12, 1999
                                    My name is Beverly and my husband is Michael. We are looking for any
                                    information on the name Sekey. Our understanding is that Michael's
                                    ggrandfather imigrated to the US from somewhere in Austria-Hungarian Empire
                                    (where, we don't know) and that he was of Slovak decent. We have very
                                    little info on the name. Michael did find it on a list of common Slovak
                                    surnames. We are interested in learning about Slovak culture, language,
                                    foods, traditions, etc. Our desire is to learn all we can about the Sekey
                                    name, Michael's ancestors, and Slovak heritage in order to teach our
                                    children these things and give them something to pass on to future
                                    generations. Michael's ggrandfather's name was Andrew. Andrew immigrated
                                    to the US sometime prior to 1907. Michael's grandfather's name was John and
                                    he was born in the US in 1907. Apparently there was an argument between
                                    Michael's grandfather and his brother that seperated the family to the point
                                    that Michael's father and relatives don't know anything about the other side
                                    of the family and have no contact with them. As a result, Michael's dad
                                    (also named John) has no info on the family history or refuses to share it
                                    with us. Sorry about dragging on here, just wanted to tell you what little
                                    we know. Thanks for letting us be part of this list.

                                    Beverly
                                  • James A Honeychuck
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 12, 1999
                                      mike wrote:

                                      > From: "mike" <sekey@...>
                                      >
                                      > My name is Beverly and my husband is Michael. We are looking for any
                                      > information on the name Sekey. Our understanding is that Michael's
                                      > ggrandfather imigrated to the US from somewhere in Austria-Hungarian Empire
                                      > (where, we don't know) and that he was of Slovak decent. We have very
                                      > little info on the name. Michael did find it on a list of common Slovak
                                      > surnames. We are interested in learning about Slovak culture, language,
                                      > foods, traditions, etc. Our desire is to learn all we can about the Sekey
                                      > name, Michael's ancestors, and Slovak heritage in order to teach our
                                      > children these things and give them something to pass on to future
                                      > generations. Michael's ggrandfather's name was Andrew. Andrew immigrated
                                      > to the US sometime prior to 1907. Michael's grandfather's name was John and
                                      > he was born in the US in 1907. Apparently there was an argument between
                                      > Michael's grandfather and his brother that seperated the family to the point
                                      > that Michael's father and relatives don't know anything about the other side
                                      > of the family and have no contact with them. As a result, Michael's dad
                                      > (also named John) has no info on the family history or refuses to share it
                                      > with us. Sorry about dragging on here, just wanted to tell you what little
                                      > we know. Thanks for letting us be part of this list.
                                      >
                                      > Beverly
                                      >
                                      > Welcome to the list.

                                      Yours is an unfortunate, and all too common, problem. But how about
                                      the phenomenon in which the later generations get to know and like
                                      each other, because nobody knows what the original argument was
                                      about? It happens.

                                      Even if it doesn't, you should be able to overcome this problem, because
                                      the collection of Slovak church records on microfilm through the Mormon
                                      Church is very extensive. If you can just find out the place of origin,
                                      you may find all the info you need.

                                      My first suggestion would be to get death certificates and obituaries.
                                      One of them might have a town name mentioned.

                                      By the way, the original spelling would have been Sekej, right?

                                      As for culture, I don't think those discussions are allowed on this
                                      list, but of course there's more stuff than you could ever read at
                                      http://www.iarelative.com/slovakia.htm

                                      Good luck in your search.

                                      Jim Honeychuck
                                      Researching Hanicak, Urban, Puhalla
                                    • Carol DeGraba
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 15, 1999
                                        Dear SLOVAK-ROOTS-owner@onelist,
                                        My name is Carol DeGraba and I am interested in
                                        researching branches of my mother's side of the family
                                        who originated in Austria-Hungary in an area which is
                                        currently in the Slovak Republic. The town in
                                        currently called Chmel'nica and is located on the
                                        northern border of the Slovak Republic near Poland, in
                                        the Carpathian Mts. I am researching the names
                                        Meslinsky, Alexic, and Lavadsky and many others who
                                        were family friends and relatives who settled in
                                        upstate New York around Buffalo and some in Sayre, PA.
                                        Thank you very much for giving us this opportunity to
                                        share information on geneology with other folks from
                                        the same region in Europe! It is so difficult, with
                                        all the boundary changes over the years, to locate
                                        towns and records and it will be great to get tips
                                        from others and maybe even help someone else who is
                                        struggling like myself.
                                        Thanks,
                                        Carol DeGraba

                                        =====
                                      • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 15, 1999
                                          Hello Carol and Welcome to the list!

                                          It's wonderful that you know where your people came from. If you tell us
                                          what you have done in terms of searching records in the US and the
                                          Slovak Republic, then we can make some good suggestions on where you can
                                          find more info.

                                          Have you gotten all the birth, marriage and death certs in the US?
                                          Searched the US censuses? Gotten naturalization papers? Seen if the
                                          church records for the village in the Slovak Republic are filmed by the
                                          LDS church so you can research them through your local FHC? Those are
                                          the steps in order that we must all go through to get at that elusive
                                          information back in the "old country".

                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 15, 1999
                                            Hi Carol. You're lucky. As you may know, the church records from
                                            Chmelnica on microfilm go back to about 1790.

                                            Good luck in your research.

                                            Jim

                                            Carol DeGraba wrote:

                                            > From: Carol DeGraba <caroldegraba@...>
                                            >
                                            > Dear SLOVAK-ROOTS-owner@onelist,
                                            > My name is Carol DeGraba and I am interested in
                                            > researching branches of my mother's side of the family
                                            > who originated in Austria-Hungary in an area which is
                                            > currently in the Slovak Republic. The town in
                                            > currently called Chmel'nica and is located on the
                                            > northern border of the Slovak Republic near Poland, in
                                            > the Carpathian Mts. I am researching the names
                                            > Meslinsky, Alexic, and Lavadsky and many others who
                                            > were family friends and relatives who settled in
                                            > upstate New York around Buffalo and some in Sayre, PA.
                                            > Thank you very much for giving us this opportunity to
                                            > share information on geneology with other folks from
                                            > the same region in Europe! It is so difficult, with
                                            > all the boundary changes over the years, to locate
                                            > towns and records and it will be great to get tips
                                            > from others and maybe even help someone else who is
                                            > struggling like myself.
                                            > Thanks,
                                            > Carol DeGraba

                                          • Denise
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 4 2:15 PM
                                              I have Prokopovits in my family line. Let's compare?