question & surnames

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 1999
      This list is a great idea! And I'll be bugging you all with picky little
      questions as I go through all the entries I just extracted from the (LDS)
      parish records microfilms for Makov. Our LDS branch is closed for the
      summer, which is probably good because I was going cross-eyed from staring
      into a microfilm viewer so much! Now to spend the summer organizing it all...

      First question...during one series of years in the parish records, in the
      death/funeral record books, the priest would sometimes write after a man's
      name the word "oeconomus"; once "miser oeconomus" (poor oeconomus) and once
      "senex oeconomus" (old oeconomus). Does "oeconomus" mean "head of
      household", or something more specific such as head of family (eg family
      including grown children living on their own farms, grandchildren, etc)?
      Or am I totally misinterpreting the word? It looks like the Greek word for
      house. Thanks for any help!

      My dad's family came from Makov, Slovakia, in the early part of this
      century; some were from Vysoka nad Kysucou, and I think some from Cadca.
      They settled in New York City mostly, but my dad's parents moved to
      Michigan from there.

      So I am researching those towns, and the names MICHUTKA (Micutka, Micsutka,
      Mitsutka), PAVLIK, GRECNAR, DOULAJ/DULAY, KUBACKA (Kubatska, Kubacska),
      MORAVTSIK, KALICAK (Kalicsak), FIURI, DOBOSS, ZAVARKA.

      And to think that I month ago I had only five of those names--God bless the
      LDS and their mania for microfilming!

      Julie Michutka, who has always loved having a "different" last name!
      jmm@...
    • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 1999
        In a message dated 7/3/99 8:00:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jmm@...
        writes:

        > First question...during one series of years in the parish records, in the
        > death/funeral record books, the priest would sometimes write after a man's
        > name the word "oeconomus"; once "miser oeconomus" (poor oeconomus) and once
        > "senex oeconomus" (old oeconomus). Does "oeconomus" mean "head of
        > household", or something more specific such as head of family (eg family
        > including grown children living on their own farms, grandchildren, etc)?
        > Or am I totally misinterpreting the word? It looks like the Greek word for
        > house. Thanks for any help!
        >
        > My dad's family came from Makov, Slovakia, in the early part of this
        > century; some were from Vysoka nad Kysucou, and I think some from Cadca.
        > They settled in New York City mostly, but my dad's parents moved to
        > Michigan from there.
        >
        > So I am researching those towns, and the names MICHUTKA (Micutka, Micsutka,
        > Mitsutka), PAVLIK, GRECNAR, DOULAJ/DULAY, KUBACKA (Kubatska, Kubacska),
        > MORAVTSIK, KALICAK (Kalicsak), FIURI, DOBOSS, ZAVARKA.
        >
        > And to think that I month ago I had only five of those names--God bless the
        > LDS and their mania for microfilming!
        >
        > Julie Michutka, who has always loved having a "different" last name!
        > jmm@...

        Try the translation site I sent in the other day..................
        <A HREF="http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/">index.html </A>
        http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/
        go to Church records or Terms and Phrases..........they are in Latin and
        Hungarian I have printed all these pages out and take them with me to the FHC
        to refer to..........
        Cathy Ambrisko Mullenix