Re: Ethnicity of Presidential Candidates

  • sorghumgrass
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2004
      I wrote emails to Badnarik and Peroutka's official web sites. Here
      are the answers I received:
      BADNARIK
      >Hi Shawna, thanks for your interest. The name Badnarik
      >is Slovak. Both of my parents have Slovak ancestry for
      >6 generations back. I have never been to the Slovak
      >republic but my mother has and gives lectures on the
      >Slovak heritage. There is no remaining family in
      >Slovakia. My great-grandparents and great-great
      >grandparents from Zentlin (Eastern Slovakia) came to
      >the U.S. in the early 1900s.

      >My parents can speak fluent Slovak but I do not. I
      >can, however, cook the traditional foods such as
      >nutrolls, poppyseed rolls, holubki and pirohy.

      PEROUTKA
      >Mr.Peroutka's name is Czechoslovakian, hes part Czech and Irish.

      So, there you have it. If you want to vote for someone of Czech or
      Slovak ancestry, Kerry, Badnarik, and Peroutka all qualify, with
      Badnarik being the Slovak.

      Shawna Gambol Woodard
      (I'm 1/2 Slovak & 1/2 Many other ethnic groups).

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:

      > I had posted some ethnicities of candidates elsewhere.
      >
      > John Kerry's grandfather was from what is now the Czech Republic
      and
      > had changed his name from Kohn to Kerry and married a Catholic girl
      in
      > Boston MA.
      >
      > Kohn is a Czech-Bohemian surname of which there are 1000s in the
      U.S.