Re: [S-R] Genealogy Software

  • n8de@thepoint.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
      My personal preference is "Brothers Keeper" which you can download from
      the internet for FREE ... and, for a modest registration fee, get a good,
      printed manual for it .. though the instructions are really built in.
      It's only about $29 to register, I think .. the programmer/author did a
      fantastic job .. have been using it in both DOS and Windows format since
      about 1994.
      Don Havlicek
      Connersville, IN

      > Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
      > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
      > a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
      > type of program.
      >
      > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
      > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
      > that I can download for a free trial?
      >
      > Thanks.
      > Kristine Kadlec
      > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
        Hi Kristine. I don't have any information on the genealogy software but I
        was happy to see your last name! :-) I haven't seen any other Kadlec on
        this message board yet! I'd love to see if there are any matches for
        relatives, if you don't mind. I haven't gotten my family's history (the
        Kadlec side) traced back to Bohemia but I do have a few names. I'd love to
        hear more from you.

        Sincerely,

        Jackie Kadlec

        I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--so happy
        indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.

        Thomas

        > Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
        > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
        > a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
        > type of program.
        >
        > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
        > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
        > that I can download for a free trial?
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Kristine Kadlec
        > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Paula
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
          ---Thomas, I liked 9 and I did upgrade to 10 and 11; when they came
          out with Family Tree Maker 2005 I thought it would be a newer version
          of 11, I was wrong. My Family (which owns Genealogy.com and
          Ancestry.com) changed the look entirely. It's still a good program,
          but when I do a FamilyFinder update, it takes me into Ancestry.com,
          which I don't like. I have found more on Gen.com. I need to make a
          phone call to the company to see if I can go back to version 11 and
          not lose any information. You would really like version 11; it's
          easier to navigate and has a few more bells and whistles to make
          using it easier.

          Paula Knebler

          In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Reimer" <treimer@n...>
          wrote:
          > I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--
          so happy
          > indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.
          >
          > Thomas

        • David C. Decker
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
            Jackie and Mike,

            I also have Kadlec in my name, but its from around 1840s i think

            It Maria Kadlec and she married a Stephen Koricina.
            Will look up more on that name in a bit

            David

            I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--so happy
            indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.

            Thomas

            > Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
            > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
            > a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
            > type of program.
            >
            > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
            > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
            > that I can download for a free trial?
            >
            > Thanks.
            > Kristine Kadlec
            > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Al Dubnicka
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
              Hi David,
              What is your correct e-mail address? Tried to send you an e-mail
              privately to the e-mail shown on Slovak-Roots and it bounced. It shows
              up as maze r @...

              Thanks,
              Al Dubnicka

            • sorghumgrass
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
                http://www.mumford.ca/reportcard/

                This site reviews Genealogy Software.
              • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                  Hi David. I have a Mary Kadlec, who was married to Simon Kadlec.
                  If this is any help to you, let me know.

                  Jackie

                  David C. Decker wrote:

                  >Jackie and Mike,
                  >
                  >I also have Kadlec in my name, but its from around 1840s i think
                  >
                  >It Maria Kadlec and she married a Stephen Koricina.
                  >Will look up more on that name in a bit
                  >
                  >David

                  Service.

                  >To unsubscribe from this group, go to