RE: [S-R] Genealogy Software

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
      PAF (see below) is wonderful. I highly recommend it and it doesn't tie you
      into commercial ventures. It creates compatible formats that can be
      exchanged with other. Don't forget about the "companion" software which can
      produce very nice reports.
      Bill

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
        My personal preference is "Brothers Keeper" which you can download from
        the internet for FREE ... and, for a modest registration fee, get a good,
        printed manual for it .. though the instructions are really built in.
        It's only about $29 to register, I think .. the programmer/author did a
        fantastic job .. have been using it in both DOS and Windows format since
        about 1994.
        Don Havlicek
        Connersville, IN

        > Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
        > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
        > a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
        > type of program.
        >
        > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
        > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
        > that I can download for a free trial?
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Kristine Kadlec
        > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
          Hi Kristine. I don't have any information on the genealogy software but I
          was happy to see your last name! :-) I haven't seen any other Kadlec on
          this message board yet! I'd love to see if there are any matches for
          relatives, if you don't mind. I haven't gotten my family's history (the
          Kadlec side) traced back to Bohemia but I do have a few names. I'd love to
          hear more from you.

          Sincerely,

          Jackie Kadlec

          I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--so happy
          indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.

          Thomas

          > Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
          > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
          > a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
          > type of program.
          >
          > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
          > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
          > that I can download for a free trial?
          >
          > Thanks.
          > Kristine Kadlec
          > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Paula
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
            ---Thomas, I liked 9 and I did upgrade to 10 and 11; when they came
            out with Family Tree Maker 2005 I thought it would be a newer version
            of 11, I was wrong. My Family (which owns Genealogy.com and
            Ancestry.com) changed the look entirely. It's still a good program,
            but when I do a FamilyFinder update, it takes me into Ancestry.com,
            which I don't like. I have found more on Gen.com. I need to make a
            phone call to the company to see if I can go back to version 11 and
            not lose any information. You would really like version 11; it's
            easier to navigate and has a few more bells and whistles to make
            using it easier.

            Paula Knebler

            In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Reimer" <treimer@n...>
            wrote:
            > I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--
            so happy
            > indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.
            >
            > Thomas

          • David C. Decker
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
              Jackie and Mike,

              I also have Kadlec in my name, but its from around 1840s i think

              It Maria Kadlec and she married a Stephen Koricina.
              Will look up more on that name in a bit

              David

              I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--so happy
              indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.

              Thomas

              > Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
              > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
              > a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
              > type of program.
              >
              > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
              > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
              > that I can download for a free trial?
              >
              > Thanks.
              > Kristine Kadlec
              > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Al Dubnicka
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
                Hi David,
                What is your correct e-mail address? Tried to send you an e-mail
                privately to the e-mail shown on Slovak-Roots and it bounced. It shows
                up as maze r @...

                Thanks,
                Al Dubnicka

              • sorghumgrass
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
                  http://www.mumford.ca/reportcard/

                  This site reviews Genealogy Software.
                • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                    Hi David. I have a Mary Kadlec, who was married to Simon Kadlec.
                    If this is any help to you, let me know.

                    Jackie

                    David C. Decker wrote:

                    >Jackie and Mike,
                    >
                    >I also have Kadlec in my name, but its from around 1840s i think
                    >
                    >It Maria Kadlec and she married a Stephen Koricina.
                    >Will look up more on that name in a bit
                    >
                    >David

                    Service.

                    >To unsubscribe from this group, go to