Re: Bretka, Gomor Reformed Church

  • John
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
      >who in the 1920 census said he was from Beretski, Austria, and his native
      >tongue was Slovak.
      >
      >I've narrowed it down to a couple villages but thought he was Catholic.
      >Lisa Rhea Trimbath Baker

      Lisa have you tried
      using http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm to locate
      Beretski? Have you applied for his Social Security records and if he
      became a naturalized citizen, his Declaration of Intent, you may find
      additional information.

      John

      John
    • Lisa Rhea Baker
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
        Thanks John,

        Yes, I've tried the Shtetl Seeker, I've got 9 possible towns.

        Unfortunately, my grandfather was never naturalized. (I've checked for
        records)

        Got a copy of his SS5 and on it he said he was born in Haston, Cambria,
        Pennsylvania. No records there either.

        He's a tough one, in 1917 on his marriage license he states he was born in
        Austria and his mother's maiden name was Medleck. Then in 1920 on the census
        he gives a birthplace of Beretski, Austria. In 1936 when he applied for his
        social security number he gives a birthplace of Haston, Cambia, Pennsylvania
        and his mothers maiden name is now Vaingar.

        AHHHH! I guess if it was easy it wouldn't be as much fun, right?

        Thanks for the tips

        Lisa Rhea Trimbath Baker
        twosocks@...
        http://www.koan.com/~twosocks/genealogy.html
      • Helenezx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
          In a message dated 2/5/0 2:27:10 AM, twosocks@... writes:

          << Is anyone familiar with this village? would there also have been a Greek or

          Roman Catholic church? >>

          The atlas shows only one church for Bretka but 2 kilometers southeast is
          Gemerska Panica and that shows 2 churches! Also C~oltovo is a half km from
          Bretka and that shows a church too.

          helene
        • Maura Petzolt
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2000
            Just a guess.... but are you -sure- that you have the correct SS-5 form?

            Usually, I'd say the marriage record, because it's a primary source
            material would be correct, but SS-5's are sometimes considered primary
            also. Censuses are never considered primary as you cannot be sure if the
            person himself gave the information (lots of times if the family wasn't
            there they asked the neighbors for example).

            Ss-5's are fairly reliable -- which is why I wonder if you are sure you
            got the right one. If you are, consider the possibility that he gave
            false information on it.

            example -- paperwork on my Irish gr/grandfather in Bridgeport CT all
            indicate "Ireland" as place of birth on marriage and children's birth
            papers. After a certain number of years here tho, he just up and changed
            that to "born in NYC" on all other legal papers, including registration
            for WW1. I'm told this is something common among immigrants in the late
            1800's when they wanted so much to "belong" here, and maybe in view of
            some discrimination they felt towards them.

          • Lisa Rhea Baker
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2000
              Hope the list will bear with me as I tell this tale.

              My grandfather who died as Charles Trimbath in 1987 has a very confusing
              past.

              My Aunts say their father told them he and his parents came to the United
              States when he was a small boy. (I have narrowed this down to between the
              years 1895-1908). They lived in Smock, Franklin Township, Fayette, PA.
              Charles's father Frank (name taken from marriage license) worked in the Coal
              mines. During this time (1895-1908) Frank was involved in fight over a poker
              game in a bar, he was shot and killed. Charles told his daughters it was a
              bar in Republic and even pointed it out to them. Frank was buried in a
              cemetery in New Salem, Menallen Township, PA. My Aunt says her father took
              her and her older brother to his grave when they were young. (I've looked at
              the cemeteries in New Salem but not found anything)

              Charles mother, now a widow, decided to return the "old country" with her
              son. They left the United States. When Charles was about 14 or 15, his
              mother sent him back to the United States alone. She had corresponded with
              the woman who ran the boarding house in Smock where they had lived before.
              Charles was to stay with her and find work.

              My Aunts say he told them he lived with this woman when he first returned to
              the United States. He began working in the coal mines. At this point what
              his real name was is lost, according to the story it was here he was told,
              "okay Charlie Trimbath, you can work for us." I have researched the name
              Trimbath, it is English, and the Trimbath's in Fayette Country are from
              Cornwall, England. Eventually Charles met the older brothers of my
              grandmother. He was introduced to my grandmother Mary Bookshar and they were
              married.

              I have a copy of their marriage license from 1917, on this document Charles
              listed his
              age as 21, his birthplace as Austria. His father is listed as Frank
              Trembath -deceased, his mother as Annie Medleck -housekeeper, they were both
              born in Austria. My Aunts recall him saying his mothers name was something
              like Miller but not quite that.

              In the 1920 census I found Charles and Mary in Tower Hill #1, Fayette
              County, PA. Here he is listed as "Charley Trembitz" age 25, birthplace
              Beretski, Austria, his citizenship status is listed as Alien, his native
              tongue is Slovak.

              In December 1936, Charles Trimbath applied for a social security number, he
              listed his birthdate as Dec 31, 1895 (my Aunts say he never knew his real
              birthdate so he choose the last day of the year). He listed his birthplace
              as Haston, Cambria, PA. His father was listed as Frank Trimbath, his mother
              Anna Vaingar. I know this is the right SS5 because of the address, they
              lived in Tower Hill #1 their entire lives. The house a double, was purchased
              from the mines and was sold just a few years ago following my grandmothers
              death. A search of birthrecords from Haston, Cambria, PA turned up nothing,
              no record of him there.

              The family is Roman Catholic on my grandmothers side and attended Holy
              Rosary Church in Republic, Fayette, PA. My Aunts say they celebrated
              Christmas Eve Mass twice, once on December 24 with their mother and then
              they would walk to the nearby town of New Salem to Celebrate the
              Greek/Orthodox/Byzantine (sorry I still get those mixed up) Christmas Eve
              Mass with their father. There is an Orthodox and a Byzantine Church in New
              Salem. I tried to locate records at both and checked both cemeteries with no
              luck.

              I also have copies of Charles's mine workers records. They show the mines he
              worked for and when. They were used when he applied for his pension. The
              earliest record is from 1915 and is an affidavit of a person who worked with
              Charles and first became acquainted with him in May 1915.

              When Charles applied for his pension in 1956 he again listed his father as
              Frank Trimbath and his mother as Anna Medleck.

              Basically, I am stuck as were else to go with is search. When I was in
              Pennsylvania last year, I searched for naturalization records-zero, death
              records for Frank-zero, Church and Cemetery records-zero. I even tromped
              around in the old cemeteries looking at headstone, many were missing or not
              readable.

              This why I have begun trying to locate possible location for Beretski,
              Austria, especially looking for Greek Catholic records, since this seems to
              be the religion of the family.

              I hope everyone has borne with me through this tale, I know I'm not the only
              one out there with a difficult ancestor. Sometimes it just helps to talk it
              out. Thanks for bearing with me.

              :-)

            • frankur@att.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2000
                The LDS filmed the Lutheran church registers for Bretka, Slovakia;
                formerly Beretke, G�m�r Megye, Hungary (1792-1904)
                Text in Hungarian.
                Film 2006424

                The LDS filmed the R.C. for Ples^ivec, Slovakia; formerly Pelsocz,
                G�m�r Megye, Hungary (1825-1895) including records for Bretka.
                Text in Hungarian.
                Film 1981409, 1981410