Re: [S-R] Genealogy Software

  • Thomas Reimer
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
      I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--so happy
      indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.

      Thomas

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
        PAF (see below) is wonderful. I highly recommend it and it doesn't tie you
        into commercial ventures. It creates compatible formats that can be
        exchanged with other. Don't forget about the "companion" software which can
        produce very nice reports.
        Bill

        The Mormon Church (LDS) has a free software package
        (Personal Ancestral File) on the web:

        http://www.familysearch.org/

        Click on order/download then software downloads/free

        I've found PAF to be very convenient to use and does everything I've
        wanted.

        Tim Skvarenina

      • n8de@thepoint.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
          My personal preference is "Brothers Keeper" which you can download from
          the internet for FREE ... and, for a modest registration fee, get a good,
          printed manual for it .. though the instructions are really built in.
          It's only about $29 to register, I think .. the programmer/author did a
          fantastic job .. have been using it in both DOS and Windows format since
          about 1994.
          Don Havlicek
          Connersville, IN

          > Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
          > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
          > a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
          > type of program.
          >
          > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
          > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
          > that I can download for a free trial?
          >
          > Thanks.
          > Kristine Kadlec
          > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
            Hi Kristine. I don't have any information on the genealogy software but I
            was happy to see your last name! :-) I haven't seen any other Kadlec on
            this message board yet! I'd love to see if there are any matches for
            relatives, if you don't mind. I haven't gotten my family's history (the
            Kadlec side) traced back to Bohemia but I do have a few names. I'd love to
            hear more from you.

            Sincerely,

            Jackie Kadlec

            I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--so happy
            indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.

            Thomas

            > Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
            > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
            > a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
            > type of program.
            >
            > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
            > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
            > that I can download for a free trial?
            >
            > Thanks.
            > Kristine Kadlec
            > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Paula
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
              ---Thomas, I liked 9 and I did upgrade to 10 and 11; when they came
              out with Family Tree Maker 2005 I thought it would be a newer version
              of 11, I was wrong. My Family (which owns Genealogy.com and
              Ancestry.com) changed the look entirely. It's still a good program,
              but when I do a FamilyFinder update, it takes me into Ancestry.com,
              which I don't like. I have found more on Gen.com. I need to make a
              phone call to the company to see if I can go back to version 11 and
              not lose any information. You would really like version 11; it's
              easier to navigate and has a few more bells and whistles to make
              using it easier.

              Paula Knebler

              In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Reimer" <treimer@n...>
              wrote:
              > I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--
              so happy
              > indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.
              >
              > Thomas

            • David C. Decker
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
                Jackie and Mike,

                I also have Kadlec in my name, but its from around 1840s i think

                It Maria Kadlec and she married a Stephen Koricina.
                Will look up more on that name in a bit

                David

                I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--so happy
                indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.

                Thomas

                > Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
                > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
                > a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
                > type of program.
                >
                > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
                > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
                > that I can download for a free trial?
                >
                > Thanks.
                > Kristine Kadlec
                > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Al Dubnicka
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
                  Hi David,
                  What is your correct e-mail address? Tried to send you an e-mail
                  privately to the e-mail shown on Slovak-Roots and it bounced. It shows
                  up as maze r @...

                  Thanks,
                  Al Dubnicka

                • sorghumgrass
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
                    http://www.mumford.ca/reportcard/

                    This site reviews Genealogy Software.
                  • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                      Hi David. I have a Mary Kadlec, who was married to Simon Kadlec.
                      If this is any help to you, let me know.

                      Jackie

                      David C. Decker wrote:

                      >Jackie and Mike,
                      >
                      >I also have Kadlec in my name, but its from around 1840s i think
                      >
                      >It Maria Kadlec and she married a Stephen Koricina.
                      >Will look up more on that name in a bit
                      >
                      >David

                      Service.

                      >To unsubscribe from this group, go to