Genealogy Software

  • k2kadlec
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
      Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
      keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
      a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
      type of program.

      I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
      the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
      that I can download for a free trial?

      Thanks.
      Kristine Kadlec
      http://www.kristinekadlec.com/
    • Tim Skvarenina
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
        The Mormon Church (LDS) has a free software package
        (Personal Ancestral File) on the web:

        http://www.familysearch.org/

        Click on order/download then software downloads/free

        I've found PAF to be very convenient to use and does
        everything I've wanted.

        Tim Skvarenina

        --- k2kadlec <k2kadlec@...> wrote:

        > Could someone recommend a genealogy software
        > package? Right now I'm
        > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but
        > I'd like to buy
        > a program and enter all my genealogy information
        > into a database
        > type of program.
        >
        > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all
        > the programs
        > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do
        > you know of any
        > that I can download for a free trial?
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Kristine Kadlec
        > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

        http://vote.yahoo.com
      • Thomas Reimer
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
          I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--so happy
          indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.

          Thomas

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
            PAF (see below) is wonderful. I highly recommend it and it doesn't tie you
            into commercial ventures. It creates compatible formats that can be
            exchanged with other. Don't forget about the "companion" software which can
            produce very nice reports.
            Bill

          • n8de@thepoint.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
              My personal preference is "Brothers Keeper" which you can download from
              the internet for FREE ... and, for a modest registration fee, get a good,
              printed manual for it .. though the instructions are really built in.
              It's only about $29 to register, I think .. the programmer/author did a
              fantastic job .. have been using it in both DOS and Windows format since
              about 1994.
              Don Havlicek
              Connersville, IN

              > Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
              > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
              > a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
              > type of program.
              >
              > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
              > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
              > that I can download for a free trial?
              >
              > Thanks.
              > Kristine Kadlec
              > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
                Hi Kristine. I don't have any information on the genealogy software but I
                was happy to see your last name! :-) I haven't seen any other Kadlec on
                this message board yet! I'd love to see if there are any matches for
                relatives, if you don't mind. I haven't gotten my family's history (the
                Kadlec side) traced back to Bohemia but I do have a few names. I'd love to
                hear more from you.

                Sincerely,

                Jackie Kadlec

                I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--so happy
                indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.

                Thomas

                > Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
                > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
                > a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
                > type of program.
                >
                > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
                > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
                > that I can download for a free trial?
                >
                > Thanks.
                > Kristine Kadlec
                > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Paula
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
                  ---Thomas, I liked 9 and I did upgrade to 10 and 11; when they came
                  out with Family Tree Maker 2005 I thought it would be a newer version
                  of 11, I was wrong. My Family (which owns Genealogy.com and
                  Ancestry.com) changed the look entirely. It's still a good program,
                  but when I do a FamilyFinder update, it takes me into Ancestry.com,
                  which I don't like. I have found more on Gen.com. I need to make a
                  phone call to the company to see if I can go back to version 11 and
                  not lose any information. You would really like version 11; it's
                  easier to navigate and has a few more bells and whistles to make
                  using it easier.

                  Paula Knebler

                  In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Reimer" <treimer@n...>
                  wrote:
                  > I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--
                  so happy
                  > indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.
                  >
                  > Thomas

                • David C. Decker
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
                    Jackie and Mike,

                    I also have Kadlec in my name, but its from around 1840s i think

                    It Maria Kadlec and she married a Stephen Koricina.
                    Will look up more on that name in a bit

                    David

                    I use Familytreemaker for Windows version 9.0 and am happy with it--so happy
                    indeed that I won't upgrade to the now current version 11 or 12.

                    Thomas

                    > Could someone recommend a genealogy software package? Right now I'm
                    > keepng all my information in a three-ring binder but I'd like to buy
                    > a program and enter all my genealogy information into a database
                    > type of program.
                    >
                    > I don't know where to begin to investigate. Are all the programs
                    > the same? How much money can I expect to pay? Do you know of any
                    > that I can download for a free trial?
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    > Kristine Kadlec
                    > http://www.kristinekadlec.com/

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Al Dubnicka
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
                      Hi David,
                      What is your correct e-mail address? Tried to send you an e-mail
                      privately to the e-mail shown on Slovak-Roots and it bounced. It shows
                      up as maze r @...

                      Thanks,
                      Al Dubnicka

                    • sorghumgrass
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
                        http://www.mumford.ca/reportcard/

                        This site reviews Genealogy Software.
                      • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                          Hi David. I have a Mary Kadlec, who was married to Simon Kadlec.
                          If this is any help to you, let me know.

                          Jackie

                          David C. Decker wrote:

                          >Jackie and Mike,
                          >
                          >I also have Kadlec in my name, but its from around 1840s i think
                          >
                          >It Maria Kadlec and she married a Stephen Koricina.
                          >Will look up more on that name in a bit
                          >
                          >David

                          Service.

                          >To unsubscribe from this group, go to