Mick Sura

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 8, 2004
      Mick lives in Kosice and does genealogy research. What Mick brings to
      the party is the ability to visit the family village and talk to
      people there. A Slovak government archivist won't do that.

      Mick has the SAME access to church records as we do at LDS, albeit
      that his copy of the SAME film is at the Slovak archive. In a few
      cases, he also has some records available that we don't have. For
      example, Dubravka GC church records have a 20-year gap. Mick knows
      that the gap is covered in an archive in Satoraljaujhely, Hungary,
      and has researched those records for me. His fee was reasonable.

      Maximize your own efforts at LDS. Then you can ask Mick to further
      your research in specific areas. Remember, you are paying by the hour
      and mile.

      Mick also can provide valuable guidance for visitors to Slovakia upon
      their arrival in the Kosice area.

      Since Mick doesn't drink, he owes me a coffee in Kosice for this
      unsolicited plug.

      John Adam
    • James McGrath
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
        Is there a masculine form of the name Illyov�? I am
        pretty sure I came across it when I was looking
        through parish records, but at the time I didn't know
        it was going to be relevant to my own family tree. Any
        linguistic advice regarding this name would be most
        appreciated.

        Thanks!

        James

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
          Yup. Just knock off the "ova".

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, James McGrath
          <jamesfrankmcgrath@y...> wrote:
          > Is there a masculine form of the name Illyová?
        • b
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008
            Bill,
            I haven't heard from him at all either.
            Bonnie

            Anyone heard from Mick Sura in the past three or four months. Myself and
            others are not getting a response.

            Thanks,

            Bill

            Bonnie A. Dailey

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008

            • treimer@nycap.rr.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008
                Dear fellow researchers,

                I uploaded a Gedcom to World Family Tree in 2003. I was then close to
                diabetes, which distracted me, and still learning how to use FTM for
                Windows. As a result, the file includes material I did not intend to
                include. Also, I did not fully understand the legalese about anyone
                able to download it.

                Within months I asked Familytreemaker to remove it, and again in 2006
                ancestry.com, the current owner. Both times the customer rep refused
                (it was actually very difficult to even get through to one).
                Now I'm trying again.

                Their disclaimer said it cannot be changed or removed, yet they
                obviously have the ability since the state they can edit the file.
                Also, there are many contracts with disclaimers that do not hold up in
                court--in NYS I can't get my tenant to surrender certain rights, no
                matter what I have him sign in the lease.

                But a good company should be taking customer concerns seriously
                anyway. Is there a way to petition ancestry.com/genealogy.com? I
                don't mind at all paying a fee for removal. It could even be a small
                revenue stream for the company since I'm certainly not the only one.
                Does anyone else have experience with negotiating with ancestry.com
                about this?

                Thanks,

                Thomas
              • hartlaub3@aim.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 19, 2008
                  The last I heard from him personally was last summer. know he monitors the Slovakia message board at ancestry.com and has been on there since that time. You might check with Zlatica and see if she has heard from him.

                  Hope all is well with him.

                  Linda

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 19, 2008
                    He just posted an answer to a translation query on January 17.

                    Janet

                  • Chunky
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
                      <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                      > Anyone heard from Mick Sura in the past three or four months. Myself
                      and
                      > others are not getting a response.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Bill

                      If you are speaking of Michael Sura of Kosice then I can tell you that
                      I heard from him last September when he disclosed that he was finishing
                      his post-graduate studies and nurturing his daughter's tennis career.

                      Sent him another message on January 7th with no reply.

                      Ed Kohler (Kollar)