Research in Slovakia

  • Mebjwb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 8, 2004
      Hi

      I would like to ask for advice regarding research in Slovakia. I have been
      approached, via E-mail, by a Mr. Michael Sura, Kosice, Slovakia to do research
      for me on Josef Pavlik, born 1877 and Teresa Olsavsky, born about 1879 (my
      maternal grandparents). This is a blind inquiry, but I assume he has found my
      name from my past inquiries to your Slovak-Roots site.

      I have not been able to find any Ellis Island information or church records
      information from the LDS records on my grandparents. I really do not have any
      information to share with Mr. Sura, but he feels he can construct my
      genealogical tree from the above information.

      I am writing to you to see if anyone in your group has dealt with Mr. Sura
      and could give him a recommendation. I feel I do not have enough information to
      share for him to locate my grandparents, and I am hesitant without some
      referrals.
      I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

      Marge Bonfield

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 8, 2004
        Mick lives in Kosice and does genealogy research. What Mick brings to
        the party is the ability to visit the family village and talk to
        people there. A Slovak government archivist won't do that.

        Mick has the SAME access to church records as we do at LDS, albeit
        that his copy of the SAME film is at the Slovak archive. In a few
        cases, he also has some records available that we don't have. For
        example, Dubravka GC church records have a 20-year gap. Mick knows
        that the gap is covered in an archive in Satoraljaujhely, Hungary,
        and has researched those records for me. His fee was reasonable.

        Maximize your own efforts at LDS. Then you can ask Mick to further
        your research in specific areas. Remember, you are paying by the hour
        and mile.

        Mick also can provide valuable guidance for visitors to Slovakia upon
        their arrival in the Kosice area.

        Since Mick doesn't drink, he owes me a coffee in Kosice for this
        unsolicited plug.

        John Adam
      • James McGrath
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
          Is there a masculine form of the name Illyov�? I am
          pretty sure I came across it when I was looking
          through parish records, but at the time I didn't know
          it was going to be relevant to my own family tree. Any
          linguistic advice regarding this name would be most
          appreciated.

          Thanks!

          James

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
            Yup. Just knock off the "ova".

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, James McGrath
            <jamesfrankmcgrath@y...> wrote:
            > Is there a masculine form of the name Illyová?
          • b
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008
              Bill,
              I haven't heard from him at all either.
              Bonnie

              Anyone heard from Mick Sura in the past three or four months. Myself and
              others are not getting a response.

              Thanks,

              Bill

              Bonnie A. Dailey

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008

              • treimer@nycap.rr.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008
                  Dear fellow researchers,

                  I uploaded a Gedcom to World Family Tree in 2003. I was then close to
                  diabetes, which distracted me, and still learning how to use FTM for
                  Windows. As a result, the file includes material I did not intend to
                  include. Also, I did not fully understand the legalese about anyone
                  able to download it.

                  Within months I asked Familytreemaker to remove it, and again in 2006
                  ancestry.com, the current owner. Both times the customer rep refused
                  (it was actually very difficult to even get through to one).
                  Now I'm trying again.

                  Their disclaimer said it cannot be changed or removed, yet they
                  obviously have the ability since the state they can edit the file.
                  Also, there are many contracts with disclaimers that do not hold up in
                  court--in NYS I can't get my tenant to surrender certain rights, no
                  matter what I have him sign in the lease.

                  But a good company should be taking customer concerns seriously
                  anyway. Is there a way to petition ancestry.com/genealogy.com? I
                  don't mind at all paying a fee for removal. It could even be a small
                  revenue stream for the company since I'm certainly not the only one.
                  Does anyone else have experience with negotiating with ancestry.com
                  about this?

                  Thanks,

                  Thomas
                • hartlaub3@aim.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 19, 2008
                    The last I heard from him personally was last summer. know he monitors the Slovakia message board at ancestry.com and has been on there since that time. You might check with Zlatica and see if she has heard from him.

                    Hope all is well with him.

                    Linda

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 19, 2008
                      He just posted an answer to a translation query on January 17.

                      Janet

                    • Chunky
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
                        <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                        > Anyone heard from Mick Sura in the past three or four months. Myself
                        and
                        > others are not getting a response.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Bill

                        If you are speaking of Michael Sura of Kosice then I can tell you that
                        I heard from him last September when he disclosed that he was finishing
                        his post-graduate studies and nurturing his daughter's tennis career.

                        Sent him another message on January 7th with no reply.

                        Ed Kohler (Kollar)